Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

3rd Gen Tacoma Components Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Tacoma Components Speakers?

I'm planning an audio upgrade for the 'Coma and I haven't figured out how and where to mount the tweets. I'm thinking either on the triangular door panels at the front-bottom corner of the windows (mirrors on the other side), or on the windshield frame a little above the dash. I'd like it to look clean without resorting to fabbing with fiberglass.

I'm leaning toward the Infinity comps, by the way. Can't decide between the 6.5" Reference series or the 5.25" Kappas. If anyone knows how to fit the 6.5" Kappas in the doors, that'd settle my speaker choice.

Any ideas? How about some pics? I've been searching without any luck.

G
Old 07-23-2010, 04:14 PM

search on here, ebay , craigslist for some factory tweeter pods then you can mount your aftermarkets behind the tweeter pod and no one will know the difference. what is the issue with getting the infinity 6.5" in your doors? i have a set of focal 165v2 components in my fronts, they are large speakers but fit with no issues.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
what is the issue with getting the infinity 6.5" in your doors? i have a set of focal 165v2 components in my fronts, they are large speakers but fit with no issues.
I don't honestly know. I was just using Crutchfield's vehicle outfitter, which says the Infinity Kappa 6.5s will fit in the rear spots, and the Infinity Reference 6.5s fit in either the front or the rear. I'd guess I could just order them and make the mods if they're needed. I don't have any idea what the sound difference is between the Reference and the Kappa lines, might be worth a little fab work, might not. There's no where around here I can compare them.

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
search on here, ebay , craigslist for some factory tweeter pods then you can mount your aftermarkets behind the tweeter pod and no one will know the difference.
As for the factory pods, I have no idea what I'm looking for. Did Toyota make a vehicle with tweeter pods that'll just swap out easily for a podless part in my Coma?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Greenman
I don't honestly know. I was just using Crutchfield's vehicle outfitter, which says the Infinity Kappa 6.5s will fit in the rear spots, and the Infinity Reference 6.5s fit in either the front or the rear. I'd guess I could just order them and make the mods if they're needed. I don't have any idea what the sound difference is between the Reference and the Kappa lines, might be worth a little fab work, might not. There's no where around here I can compare them.

As for the factory pods, I have no idea what I'm looking for. Did Toyota make a vehicle with tweeter pods that'll just swap out easily for a podless part in my Coma?
99.9% of the time crutchfiled is right, this time they might not be, i am going off a third gen 4runner but in the front doors it took 6.5" and in the rears it took 5.25" with an adaptor. the difference between the reference and the kappa is the power handling, and i believe the surround material as well as the crossover and tweeter. the 3rd gen runners came with a factory tweeter in the forwardmost corners of the door frames. if you can find one they look much nicer. i will try and get some pics of mine to give you an idea. im pretty sure that any 96-99? 4runner tweeter pods should fit the same in your truck.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 PM

here is a picture of the factory tweeter pod on my 97 runner. sorry about the quality, its from my phone
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Tacoma Components Speakers?-picture0165.jpg