Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2001 4runner factory stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 4runner factory stereo question

Just purchased a 2001 4runner, I'm preety surprised by the decent sound in her. I took out the infinity comps I had in my truck and will put them and possibly my amp. Question I have is I don't have the $$ now for a new stereo so am I even able to put the amp in? Does the factory have rca's ? also I do not see a aux input on the front does it by chance have one in the back so I can hook up my MS Zune? or anyone have another solution besides the crappy wireless and tapedeck adaptors? My old pioneer one of the first mp3 decks back like 8yrs ago had a optional wire I bought that went into the cd changer input and came out as a 3mm plug that went into my Zune. I wonder if there is anything like that out there for my 4runner.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when i had my amp installed in my 2000 taco they said they had to put in some sort of adapter because my factory cd player did not have rca's. 4runner could be different, i doubt it though. not sure on the zune, my guess is no.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM

You can get $30 bucks for the stock stereo on like craigslist or something. and a new 1DIN head unit with rca's and an aux port is what, $90? That shouldn't be too much for a stereo on a budget.
And I which zune do you have? I have a brown original 30gb and a silver zuneHD 32g. both bought on release day
Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM

I was hoping to keep the stock stereo for awhile till I can get some other stuff that is needed badly like tires timing belt and water pump. O nce thats all put on then I'll save for a unit that takes up the factory space I think it's a 2din?
O and I have the brown original 30gb Zune
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM

yes, the stock stereo is a 2din. the only 2din head units that I know of are the big touch screen ones. IMO it's better with a 1din and a little cubby slot.
Either way, your checking account is not going to like you after some of the chores you have for your truck.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM

No more like my savings acct which is empty after buying the 2001 yesterday and the repairs that she will need but it was still a good deal.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ripcord_4Runner
yes, the stock stereo is a 2din. the only 2din head units that I know of are the big touch screen ones. IMO it's better with a 1din and a little cubby slot.
Either way, your checking account is not going to like you after some of the chores you have for your truck.
jvc makes two double din units that are under $300. they arent the greatest and dont have navigation/dvd etc. but there is one available that at least has bluetooth as well as aux input and rca outs on it. im sure there are other lower quality brands out there as well, im just speaking about what i know.

you can always add an aux input ( about $30 or $125 installed at most audio shops )to your factory radio to allow you to play your zune through and fm station, it is still not as good as a direct plug in but will definately be better than the over the air type plug in set ups.

as far as adding the amp to the factory head unit you can buy a line out converter ( about $30 or around $100 installed at most shops ) the line out will use your speaker wires and conver them to signal through a set of rca cables, the amount you will spend to get these two options will still put you in the same ballpark as a single din unit with the same features. just my suggestions.