The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Welding Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tig isn't THAT hard, but i find the torches we use at school are a bit cumbersome for me. well, and being short on tungsten, cups etc(school admins decided we're not as important as stuff like math, reading etc :mad: ) to me it's just like gas welding, but i really like the added control of the foot pedal and how clean it welds

nothing quite like striking an arc on the old stick welder though
Old 08-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Rugby10

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
tig isn't THAT hard, but i find the torches we use at school are a bit cumbersome for me. well, and being short on tungsten, cups etc(school admins decided we're not as important as stuff like math, reading etc :mad: ) to me it's just like gas welding, but i really like the added control of the foot pedal and how clean it welds

I agree. My instructor made us all start out using Oxy/Acetyl torches. From that, he said, any other method would be easier. I think it is best to start out using Oxy/Acetyl set-ups then progressing to the different ARC flavors.

The difficulty of TIG is directly proportional to the rig you’re using. The better the rig the easier to use. The square wave/water cooled machines we used, were awesome. They are SO, for lack of a better word, forgiving. My instructor also showed us how to jerry rig a thumb control. If all you have used is a pedal, you have to try it using a thumb control. On the fly adjustment in any position.

I wish I had more $$$! I know what I want my shop to look like. Unfortunately, all I have is a Husky Tool box (filled to the brim), an angle grinder, and my desire to have more.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle_22r

Too me, it is easyer to get a pretty weld with TIG, it's just much slower. If it needs to be pretty or perfect and it's not too thick (1/4" or less) I grab the TIG torch. You can't use TIG outside though, the slightest breeze will blow way the shielding gas. One book I read said you don't even want your dog to wag his tail while your TIG welding. If it's not going to show or it's too thick for TIG, I grab the sticks. I don't have a MIG machine though.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-10-2004 at 05:22 AM.