The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

How to give the 3rd Gen 4Runner a flat bottom...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to give the 3rd Gen 4Runner a flat bottom...

I'm creating this thread to try and amase info on how to give 3rd Gen 4Runners a flat bottom so we can glide our bad-azz IFS-selves across rocks. Here are some things that have been brought up that have some merit:

- Transfer case clocking
- Driveline lift (requireing a body lift)
- Gas tank relocation
- Full belly skids

I'm thinking that a new cross-member would not be a bad idea either. Let's see what we can come up with for a good solution, if there is one at all.

Here are some links to threads I've founf that seem relavant. If you find some more, please post up. I'll also try to look through TTORA for some more info:

Transfer case clocking:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/clocking-tacoma-t-case-66892/

Gas tank relocation:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/official-3rd-gen-gas-tank-relocation-thread-54684/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/3rd-gen-fuel-tank-build-up-62922/

Drivetrain Lift:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/3-drivetrain-body-lift-new-crossmembers-68895/

Added links - 11/21/05 - 9:22pm

Last edited by DrBeau; 11-21-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

search drivetrain lift....
here is one: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...rivetrain+lift
Old 11-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

some one has done it on here, not sure who, hopfully they will chime in.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
search drivetrain lift....
here is one: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...rivetrain+lift
Thanks, but I made this thread as more of a compilation. I have seen a bit of talk recently about it or about the things you'd need to do to get it done. I'm trying to compile these things and see if we can meld our minds and come up with a good, solid solution.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Added some links to the first post.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
some one has done it on here, not sure who, hopfully they will chime in.
I believe this would be ravencr (Chris).
Old 11-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Banned

found this at ttora...

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...5&postcount=47

i'm interested in this too, buy i want to wait until bud gets more products out to simplify this. in that post he mentions clocking a tcase without a body lift. i think i could do a 1" drivetrain lift and then clock the tcase using bud's adapter/crossmember. that might be unnecessary though, i could probably just clock the tcase and have a flat belly and be done.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

from what i've gathered...

the more body lift you have, the less floor cutting you'll do to clear a clocked tcase.

my idea for flatbellyness:
budbuilt clock up the tcase, use his new crossmember, raise up the exhaust/cat and such, flatbelly skid it.

then eventually reloclate the gas tank to where the spare tire goes. beyond that, i don't know.

i haven't seen many clock their tcase with the budbuilt clocker on TTORA yet, but i'm watching it.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

Wouldn't the stock gas tank get in the way of the belly skid?

Also, I don't know about everyone else...but i'd rather cut than BL. (this is personal preference)
Old 11-22-2005, 04:24 AM

I did the following on mine, which is some of the links you have on here:

1) 3" RB body lift
2) 3" RB Drivetrain Lift
3) FROR transfer case skid plate
4) Custom front crossmember
5) Gas tank relocation using Isuzu Rodeo tank

That's the basics!

Chris
Old 11-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Chris's belly is about as flat as you can get, it's crazy how much that "cheep" belly tuck helped in Tellico, he slipped over alot, and never high centered from what I can remember.

Everyone take Chris's words in his posts to heart, he's done his research and has forged a new trail when it comes to moding 3rd gens, not to mention he's a great guy.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Chris, honestly, do you think it's possible to get a flat belly without a body lift? What exactly hangs down? I know the Transfer case and stock gas tank does, but anything else of importance?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Chris's belly is about as flat as you can get, it's crazy how much that "cheep" belly tuck helped in Tellico, he slipped over alot, and never high centered from what I can remember.

Everyone take Chris's words in his posts to heart, he's done his research and has forged a new trail when it comes to moding 3rd gens, not to mention he's a great guy.
Scott, I appreciate that, but my way is probably not the only way. The only thing that's not flat now is the lower control arm mounts in the rear. But, they are in the works of being gone too. Here's a pic of what I'm making to replace my lower control arms:

This will result in a completely flat undercarriage, and all I can say is that it makes a huge difference out on the trail.

Chris
Old 11-23-2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by DrBeau
Chris, honestly, do you think it's possible to get a flat belly without a body lift? What exactly hangs down? I know the Transfer case and stock gas tank does, but anything else of importance?
Nope! If I had a chance to build up another stock 3rd gen 4runner again, here's what I would do instead:

1) Add ARB front locker
2) 3" RB Body Lift
3) 3" RB Drivetrain Lift
4) Use the same custom fabbed front crossmember I made
5) Either buy FROR's transfer case skid plate that I'm currently using or just make one myself.
6) Relocate the gas tank
7) Redsign the lower and upper links as shown above

And I'm sure I'd do a love of the other stuff I've done too, but this is the order I wish I had done it.

What you have to figure is that by taking away the crossmembers and gas tank, it's like adding 40" tires to our rigs. What I'm saying is that you gain in the neighborhood of 5" of undercarriage clearance by doing this, which is like adding 10" taller tires to your rig. You can't get this kind of benefit doing anything else to our rigs, period.

It's a huge benefit, a lot of work, requires a welder, good fab skills, etc. Is it worth it? I think so,

Chris
Old 11-23-2005, 01:20 PM

How much $$$ are we talking here? Is this type of mod something that would affect the driveability of my dd?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kev93p-up
How much $$$ are we talking here? Is this type of mod something that would affect the driveability of my dd?
If you do all the work, except for the FROR skid plate, you could do it all under $1,000.

Chris
Old 11-23-2005, 02:43 PM

I have started this process of a clean underbelly but now have to put it on the side burner do to deployments and a pcs to Utah. I credit Ravencr and NCSU-4Runner for my lift. I have done the BL (3") and have the engine lift ready to go in. I will be utilizing FROR crossmember and skid plate for the driveline lift. I have yet to decide on where and what to do with the fuel tank. But will worry about that later.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by calrockx
i haven't seen many clock their tcase with the budbuilt clocker on TTORA yet, but i'm watching it.
Someone did it this summer.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...light=inchworm
Old 11-24-2005, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by RIPPER
I have started this process of a clean underbelly but now have to put it on the side burner do to deployments and a pcs to Utah. I credit Ravencr and NCSU-4Runner for my lift. I have done the BL (3") and have the engine lift ready to go in. I will be utilizing FROR crossmember and skid plate for the driveline lift. I have yet to decide on where and what to do with the fuel tank. But will worry about that later.
Man, that's awesome! You're going to love it. My only recommendation is that with the FROR crossmember, it's not going to fit. I still have mine, because you have to have a minimum of at least and 1" clearance between the body and transfer case, and even then you have to cut the crossmember and pound the underside of your body to make it work. Since there's the stock room once you do the 3" body lift and 3" drivetrain lift, you only have the stock amount room, which isn't enough. I still haven't heard from Brian on him taking it back, which is really frustrating me. Good luck, and let me know if you plan to return it, because we need to get him to do it. He should have known it wouldn't fit.

Chris
Old 03-06-2007, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ravencr
I did the following on mine, which is some of the links you have on here:

1) 3" RB body lift
2) 3" RB Drivetrain Lift
3) FROR transfer case skid plate
4) Custom front crossmember
5) Gas tank relocation using Isuzu Rodeo tank

That's the basics!

Chris
Sorry for resurrecting the dead, but what is an "RB" body lift and drivetrain lift? I'm assuming RB is the name of a company. Can someone tell me what RB stands for so I can possibly purchase the body lift/drivetrain lift components? Performance Accessories (PA) is the only body lift company I have any experience with.

Thanks.

Sean

Quick Reply: How to give the 3rd Gen 4Runner a flat bottom...