The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Frame Rust (first time poster)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame Rust (first time poster)

Ok, so My family has owned a 88' 4Runner since they came out and i am in love with it even with all the criticisms i get for it being a rice burner, but who cares its amazing. The most apparent problem other than the engine and transmission needing to be rebuilt is i have a fist sized or larger hole in the front right of my frame. I have no clue where to start or what to look for online. Some guys i talked to said no mechanic would touch it for liability reasons, is this true? if so what do i do since i have no experience with a welder and im a college student. I plan on working on the car this summer since im away ay college and it wouldn't make the distance.

Also is going to a toyota dealer a good choice for getting help with the engine and transmission?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:58 PM

You need to inspect the rest of the frame for rot during one of your holiday breaks. Locate a competent welder in your area and see if the frame can be patched or if it is time to cut your losses and send it across the scales.

I have an Advanced Auto rebuilt engine which runs very well. My dad had someone install it.

Welcome to YT!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:33 AM

How do you check for rot in the rest of the frame? I don't think cutting a strip along both sides of the frame is what i need to do unless it is. Also If i were to post pictures of the frame from front to back on both sides would that help? and would i have to be concerned with rust inside the frame if i could patch it all up?

Thanks and im already taking pointers from other posts!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:06 AM

Rust is very common in the area of hangers at the front of the rear springs, also anywhere between there and the round tube xmember directly above the back axle. Seems to usually start on the inside of the frame, look closely on the pass side where it's hidden by the fuel tank also.

Where you can get at it, you can use any kind of pointy tool and hammer to see if it will poke right thru the frame, other than that, do a good visual inspection.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 AM

it usually starts most noticable on the inside because that steel is thinner gauge. I have a truck not a runner, And I got the rot between the bed and the cab, I traced the frame area in need of repair and took it to a metal fab shop. They used the cardboard cutout and made me some 1/4 inch thick steel panels shaped like the frame. I welded those to the inside and outside of the frame and then used 3 inch flat bar 1/4 inch thick and welded it to the top and bottom of the frame and the side patches. then I sand blasted everything and painted it with POR 15. When I get everything else done on the chassis I will spray a linseed oil from Wolman wood products to the inside of the frame to prevent future rust problems. You can click on the link in my signature for picks and the writeup. the steel cut cost me around 60 or 70 bucks I think. I borrowed a friends miller 2210 ( I am not a pro welder, but that welder can make you look pretty decent, just practice a little first) I am sure you can rent a miller 210 from a rental shop locally.
With a truck i could easily take the bed off for access to the top of the frame, but with a 4runner you wont easily be able to do that, keep in mind though the top of the frame is probably not rusted, so I only did that part for added strength, i may not have been necessary. Don'T be afraid to dive in there and give it a whirl, you will be out very little money if it doesn't work out, and if it does you saved it from scrap. Before you scrap it you may be able to sell some of the more sought after parts if they are still good, keep that in mind too. Craigslist and forums like these can be your best friend there.
Good luck on your project, it is well worth it. I have just over 60 hours in mine just working off and on, but most of it has been a joy.