The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Custom Safari rack build up

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Custom Safari rack build up

Hows it going guys, I have been doing alot of research on full roof safari racks and there isn't really much I like out there as far as Yakima, Surco, Thule, etc etc, even with the extensions. I mainly don't like it because I really just don't like the idea of it all bolting together

With that all said and done, this week I'm going to pick up some 1` inch box steel and fabricate it up a FULL roof safari rack for my 1994 4runner. I was going to go with Slee off-roads measurements for the "African outback rack" which is "79x46" in measurement.

I did find this thread online from someones build-up http://rides.webshots.com/album/558892669nmPMxZ and I was going to go for a look similar to that except probably not rounded edges since I don't have the tools to do that

I know that a rack of this length will block the sunroof, but since the 2nd gen sunroofs don't pop up I'm really not to worried about it, and I guess I could put in a sunroof door like Slee does but thats a maybe. A couple of questions I have from you guys are:

Would you go with 6 or 8 mounting feet?

I was thinking about obviously removing the factory rack(which I have ripped off plenty of times by now thats why I'm doing this" and drilling the feet through the roof with another plate or washer on the inside under the head liner for weight distribution for the sheet metal, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Does anyone have a picture of their 4runner with the head liner out by a chance so that I can see how much drilling room I have to work with on the sides of the sunroof?

How deep do you think would be sufficient?

Any or all suggestions I am open too before I actually start this build up since I wont have time to even pick the steel up until Thursday. Pictures will be added as I make progress. All that help thanks in advance

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 04-14-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be following this thread for sure, I'm interested in doing the exact same thing.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Well I was very bored and went outside for a look and took out the handles on the passenger side and the A-pillar and there is zero drilling room right there for the front supports so besides bolting the other feet and putting good tac welds on the front feet I'm going to need some serious input/ideas for the front because I don't think its a good idea to tac weld to the sheet metal, like I said before if ANYONE has a pic of the interior with out a head liner that would help alot for starts, making the basket should be cake, just some cuts and have my friend weld

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 04-14-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 PM

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orus...dproduct=10437

the measurements of this rack are right in the ball park too, and does ANYONE know anything about this truck because this is exactly what I would love to accomplish, just like his rack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXhhv...eature=related

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 04-14-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Ok I did some measuring and playing around with the truck tonight. I think the rack is going to be 80x46x4-4.5 with a 3.5` long feet. No input on other suggestions?

Here is a crappy paint picture just to get an idea of what it will look like, sorry I'm not to good with computers or know how to use a better program like photo shop. Don't mind the black spray can on the bottom half of the truck either, I was just trying to get a better feel for my truck because that picture is about 3 years old of my truck, it looks much different now, I just couldn't find a recent one with a full side shot angle.

Name:  wheeling4runner2.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  59.8 KB

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 04-14-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:50 AM

Picking up the steel today from the steel yard. Any input or advice at all? Im suprised theres no feed back
Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 AM

I wish i had advice to give to you, but I will be following this thread and if I do some up with any ideas I'll be sure to post them.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Hey just found the thread... rough design looks ok... don't forget some tabs up front for lights and some attachment points for something like a Yakima air dam to help reduce your wind resistance a bit... on the mounting points I'd look into something like the Yakima Landing Pad system
http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...ding-pads.aspx

or bolt top system

http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...op-loader.aspx

there are some other options you can explore around on that site as well such as full length rails... on the mounting pts. extrapolating from roof rack info 2 cross bars would allow loads up to 200lbs and 3 cross bars 300lbs therefor 4 attachment pts could conceivably allow 400lbs capacity but I would not recommend it. The more pts. you have the less allowance there is for flex which may put more stress on the attachment pts on the roof... plus 400lbs that high up would make the vehicle very unstable lol...
Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Hey just found the thread... rough design looks ok... don't forget some tabs up front for lights and some attachment points for something like a Yakima air dam to help reduce your wind resistance a bit... on the mounting points I'd look into something like the Yakima Landing Pad system
http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...ding-pads.aspx

or bolt top system

http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...op-loader.aspx

there are some other options you can explore around on that site as well such as full length rails... on the mounting pts. extrapolating from roof rack info 2 cross bars would allow loads up to 200lbs and 3 cross bars 300lbs therefor 4 attachment pts could conceivably allow 400lbs capacity but I would not recommend it. The more pts. you have the less allowance there is for flex which may put more stress on the attachment pts on the roof... plus 400lbs that high up would make the vehicle very unstable lol...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM

So your saying I should incorporate the factory rack I have and use the 2 rear cross bars and add a third one up front across the driver doors? Im not quite sure by looking at the landing pads or the other product how they work. Good info, I appreciate the help. I would think 300lbs would be more than enough lol, thats alot of weight
Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you mod an FJ rack?
http://www.fjcruiseraccessory.com/fj...roof-rack.html
Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Booosted Supra
So your saying I should incorporate the factory rack I have and use the 2 rear cross bars and add a third one up front across the driver doors? Im not quite sure by looking at the landing pads or the other product how they work. Good info, I appreciate the help. I would think 300lbs would be more than enough lol, thats alot of weight
That seemed to be what you were going for from your sketch... the factory rack is limited to 120lbs I believe... but I think this is a limitation from the cross bars... Your best bet may be to remove the factory tracks and replace them with longer full length ones provided you can drill the holes for the mounting bolts without interfering with the sunroof if you want to go that route.

there are roof rack mounts for gutterless doors like we have that may be an option as well.

The landing pad system works this way... you permanently mount the pad to the vehicle and the "towers" which are the attachment points for the crossbars or whatever clip to them. When you take off the crossbar you snap on a cover so the individual pads become more aerodynamic.

If you remove the factory tracks you may develop leak/paint issues... I have'nt looked at toyotas much but some other mfgs. don't put full factory paint under the tracks or else they have screw mounts and weird clip holes along the length of the track. You almost need to unscrew the track and see what you have...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 AM

Im going to have to look at it more, its been raining for 2 days now so the only issue I have to toss around is mounting issues.

I know one option I was thinking about was pulling the sheet screws out of the factory rack and nut and bolting the rails down, and using the cross bars as mounts and getting a yakima or whatever coming rain gutter cross bar for the front driver door and mounting the front of the basket that way. I dont think I have much room for drilling with the sunroof so that maybe the only option for the front.

Another option for the rear was if I have enough room for drilling I could make rear feet and drill right to the roof and enforce the inside for sheet metal weight distribution, then still using a rain gutter cross bar for the front still.

I just picked up 17 1x1 box steel 12 footers which should be DOUBLE what I need, I was forced to buy in bulk at my place... I think i really only need 8 12ft bars for the job
Old 04-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
I probably could but probably more work than its worth, good looking out though.

Here is the steel I picked up from the local yard, 1x1 16 gauge steel
Name:  boxsteel.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  32.5 KB

Here is just a pic of how she is sitting right now, its been ty out the last three days and a few more to come, I hate it...
Name:  beforerack.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  23.4 KB

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 04-15-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

With the extra steel you can make some nice custom hand rails for the porch or a nice gate for the back yard... that should make her happy... but I would'nt do the steel work in that room if I were you Supra if you scuff up the floor it would make her unhappy regardless of the nice new gate/handrail...lol...
Old 04-15-2009, 01:45 PM

lol thats the least of my worries, but the work wouldnt be done in the house haha, its just pouring its ass off outside and my garage has 2 race car projects going in it at the moment with no room =( so this project will have to be done out doors if it ever stops raining!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 AM

Well today I started cutting and the mock up is basically done and ready for welding which wont happen until Sunday when my buddy is available but heres what the out come should look like.

Floor boards
Name:  safaribuild1.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  155.8 KB

Walls
Name:  safaribuild2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  178.0 KB

Final mock up
Name:  safaribuild3.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  198.2 KB

I think I'm still going to add some front light tabs, 2 jerry can holders. Right now im going to shop around for a yakima or thule cross bar for the front of the rack to bolt too over the sunroof, I'm still debating on whether I want to re-enforce the factory rack with better screws and bolts and bolt to those cross bars for the rear or if I just want to take down the factory system and weld the holes shut, drop the head liner and drill through the roof with custom feet. Anyones thoughts on that?

Some of the risers for the side in the second picture I obviously had to replace because they were out of margin for welding. measurements are 80x46x4.5

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 04-16-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Just ordered some thule load bars from the local bike shop, I decided I'm going to use 2 thule load bars, one for the very front(front doors) one for the middle(passenger doors) and still use one cross bar in the rear

So far all together with load bars and materials I am at $348.00, I just picked up the mig from my friends house, now just waiting for it to get welded together=)
Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Nice! Looks heavy?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 PM

It shouldn't be that bad, of course a little heavier than a full yakima w/extensions or whatever brand, and I may delete some of the risers and maybe a few of the floor boards. I really just didn't want a bolt together rack and unfortunately all of the actual roof length safari racks seem to range from 600-1200 dollars and for the most part are still bolt together with I think of the exception of one I found that was welded but was wayyyy more than I would have liked to have spent.

I know the load warrior with out the extension is 44-45lbs and the full length ones out there like African outback and whoever else I researched on vary between 55-75lbs

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 04-16-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom Safari rack build up