The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Custom front bumper (Tacoma)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks really nice man, and i dig your web page, i think i have read most of it by now, super helpful and thanks for all the info you've posted on it. i don't think it was on the page, and if so i must have missed it, but how does this kind custom bumper affect the function of the air bags. i would like to do something similar one day, but i'd like the bags to keep working. any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
looks amazing! great work!
Thanks Lee!!

Originally Posted by photoleif
looks nice. got a side photo? i'm curious how far (if at all) it wraps. good stuff. cheers

Here is a side photo taken just a few days ago, in BAJA :beach:

The bumper has evolved a little bit more since the last posting
Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pogold
looks really nice man, and i dig your web page, i think i have read most of it by now, super helpful and thanks for all the info you've posted on it. i don't think it was on the page, and if so i must have missed it, but how does this kind custom bumper affect the function of the air bags. i would like to do something similar one day, but i'd like the bags to keep working. any thoughts?
Thanks so much I don't know that it even affects the function of the airbags on this particular truck, as the impact sensor is actually in the cab under the dash (on the tranny tunnel if I recall). The only way I see it maybe having an effect would be the fact that the end caps and dimple zones on the front of the frame have been tampered with. (the caps have been completely removed, and the ends have been reinforced. There are also now vertical through-bolts through the frame close to the dimples.) This may create more of an impact without as much shock absorption in the frame during a front collision. (?)
Old 01-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pogold

Like BajaTaco replied, custom bumpers like these don't usually affect air bags or crumple zones. You are still mounting the bumper to the frame where the OEM bumper sat. That part of the frame has the crumple zone further back than the bumper mount. And as BT said, the air bag sensor is not in the bumper or on the bumper mounts.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

If I remember right you tied the dual receivers into the frame in front. Would be pretty easy to fab a removable winch shelf that slid in to the receivers, if you ever think you might get stuck. I've got a single that I made for the rear winch that work pretty good.
Oh yeah, nice work, again.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MNBOY
If I remember right you tied the dual receivers into the frame in front. Would be pretty easy to fab a removable winch shelf that slid in to the receivers, if you ever think you might get stuck. I've got a single that I made for the rear winch that work pretty good.
Oh yeah, nice work, again.
Yes, you are right about the dual receivers, which I use for removable shackles and for hi-lift points. But take a close look at the new pic in post #22 above. No need to consider a removeable winch mount now
Old 01-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BajaTaco
Yes, you are right about the dual receivers, which I use for removable shackles and for hi-lift points. But take a close look at the new pic in post #22 above. No need to consider a removeable winch mount now
Maybe you could use the receivers for a removable picnic table? I don't think you should just throw out my idea because you've already done something better.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Cool idea (and I have thought about it before too). Maybe if it was ultra-light and could somehow double as a roofrack floor. That might be nice.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 AM

Im A Bumper Builder Too,and I Have To Say Awsome Job,like It When There Is Style In The Fab.
Again Great Job.
Bashin Bumpers
Old 01-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by skulls
Im A Bumper Builder Too,and I Have To Say Awsome Job,like It When There Is Style In The Fab.
Again Great Job.
Bashin Bumpers
Thanks!!