The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Bad Rust !!! Fixable???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bad Rust !!! Fixable???

Well My dad Got me this truck as a graduation Gift and well I drove it for a while and then the brakes started to grind so I put it on a lift to check them and the frame just gave out!! But I'll Give you guys a link to photo bucket to look at the damage my question is would it be repairable I have an 220v arc welder but I've never arc welded before (Got welder from my grandpa) is it possible? and what type of metal and rod should I use, I will buy extra for practice

Oh I've MIG welded thing gauge steel before for collision repair in highschool.

Photo Bucket:
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd259/bobmartin888/
Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM

I don't know a lot (read: any) about frame repair, but I think you may be in trouble. My guess is with damage that extensive you would pretty much have to rebuild or replace the entire frame.

Looks like the body is in really good shape and worth saving. Hopefully someone with some experience will reply because I really don't know. I felt I needed to reply because I feel sorry for your truck. Best of luck.

Last edited by nathan751; 11-13-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Damn what a good looking truck to have frame rust that bad.. Goodluck with the repairs if you go through with it..
Old 11-13-2007, 09:06 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Total frame replacement, it seems most of your frame is totally rusted through and out. Not repairable imho..
Old 11-14-2007, 01:52 AM

well I'm just wondering what it would take to do this 1/4" plate, 6013 Rod ? and what settings should I set the welder to ? I'm going to try to weld it and if it fails I'll have to part out the truck because I don't believe I'll have the money to put the truck on a totally new frame b/c I would do it the right way and rebuilt everything. I also wouldn't have the time(I'm a full time student) ????
Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 AM

i don't know if welding a frame is a good first project. if you don't do it right and your welds fail on the highway, you're putting your life and the lives of many others at risk.

at the very least, find a competent welder to show you the ropes throughout the project, or have someone else do the welding.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:10 AM

OH MY GOD!!!!

That frame is my worst nightmare!
Damn shame because the truck looks awesome!

I would have a competent body shop do the repairs, the only reason I say body shop as opposed to just a fab shop is because if the body, suspension and/or frame has already shifted they will be able to have it on a rack and take measurements to get it all where it belongs while doing the repairs.

Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by isaac338
i don't know if welding a frame is a good first project. if you don't do it right and your welds fail on the highway, you're putting your life and the lives of many others at risk.

at the very least, find a competent welder to show you the ropes throughout the project, or have someone else do the welding.
well i talked to one of my teachers today and he said that he wouldn't recommend doing it even with his experience(him welding it) for the reasons you mention i value my life and defenately don't want some one elses life being my guilt! its not my style! so I really hate to say it , who wants parts ?? or a whole parts or project truck ???
Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 AM

if you're parting i'll take some crap. i need passenger fender + marker, sliding window latch, center console if you have it, and if you've got power windows i need the door panels and switches.

edit: no power windows, i see in the pics. but i still need the other stuff - let me know ;D

Last edited by isaac338; 11-16-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get a frame, probably cost a few hundred bucks, just time swapping everything over.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Just get a frame, probably cost a few hundred bucks, just time swapping everything over.
I'm too lazy to search at the moment, but didn't I see where someone on here MAKEs replacement frames? That might be a good way to go... otherwise, find one with a crappy body (tons out there) and just swap it. I'd highly recommend properly prepping and POR-15'ing the entire replacement frame to prevent this from happening again.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

that looks really scary, I wouldn't try to repair that frame
Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

OMG! Dude, I'm sorry to see your frame like that. Look through other options. I'm glad you posted this thread. Just this week a brake line blew on my plow truck (IL truck) and I got under to swap it out. The line just fell apart and with a step on the brake, the fluid busted right through the weak metal! I tried to check the wheel cylinder and my friggin wheels are rusted on the damn hub!! I gotta pound them out with a mallet today. This has me so worried. My frame isn't as bad as yours, but it's bad too. And this is a full size Dodge Ramcharger with a bigass plow on the front. It would do some MAJOR damage if something goes wrong. I'm planning on replacing all the lines this week. It runs amazingly well though. The engine purs awesome, all the electrical works, the interior is clean, and the heater works great. It's a great plow truck. I drive it about 2000 miles per year, but I think it deserves some TLC. I need to try and salvage whatever I can now. Let me know what else you find.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:42 AM

heres 2 parts trucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TODAY.m238.lVI
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TODAY.m238.lVI
Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Good Gravy! Where the heck was that truck living before you got it? It looks like someone took it swiming in the ocean or something everyday for a LONG LONG time... I would'nt try to fix that... if you love her then get her a new (to you) frame and start transfering parts... whoever had her before you ought to be shot or something...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM

sssh, guys, i want these parts. ;D

seriously though, if you have the time and space and tools, a frame swap is a great idea. the body of that rig looks cherry, and you'll know the thing inside and out by the time you're finished.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks for looking this up! I don't really know what to do I'm a full time student at a automotive/diesel tech school. and I work a part time job, the truck is in upper IL. I'm in nashville,TN. my problems are time(I don't have but maybe four hours and most of that time is taken up doing homework and eating between work and school. I'm also married and were having a baby, so the money I make goes to planning ahead! and finally the money for a frame I could come up with isn't bad but... If i switch everything over I plan to replace all bushings, hoses, and with my rust issuse I can gaurantee broken bolts thats where thing go up in costs! plus if i have to take it apart I might as well overhaul the axles, t-case, engine, and trans. if I do all that I would have a brand new truck!! but I could of just bought a new(new to me anyway) tacoma! or something else. I would like to get my truck on the road again it would make me very happy its fun to drive and my dad wouldn't feel so bummed! but I just don't know if the money is worth it, the work doesn't bother me I love to build and tear things apart. but by the time I graduate from school and have time to work on it it may start to rust out the body which would add to the cost. So I guess let me hear some opinions and maybe I can figure what to do? I don't even know how i could part it out except for on my breaks from school!

**Its against school policy to work on your vehicle(s) in the parking lot, you only allowed to do it during class(which means you have to work on what your learning)or on saturday shops. the only other problem is if they feel a vehicle in the parking lot is not being driven or sits for a while they have it towed to the other side of the street(thats where the tow service is) and it costs $105 to get it out!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 PM

Under your particular circumstances I would sell the truck.
You would have to be honest obviously and sell as a "parts" vehicle but it doesn't really seem like you have a need for a major project at this time.
Maybe someone from Yotatech would be interested in buying it whole as is, if not just do craigslist and/or eBay.

Good Luck and don't forget to tell your Dad that it was the thought that counted, he shouldn't feel bad.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your looking for a project to have fun, learn, and spend lots of time and a good amount of money, then do a frame swap.

If not, sell it and buy something in better shape.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just do what im doing, if it rusts, let it, im going to run my Surf till the engine has had enough, which may be never, you cant stop rust. your just prolonging the inevatable.

Quick Reply: Bad Rust !!! Fixable???