The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

88 Pickup 22re Tranny Mount build! Save money, recycle, and get rid of clunks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Pickup 22re Tranny Mount build! Save money, recycle, and get rid of clunks!

Well, popped the top on the ol 22re... 3 weeks after i bought it. Im going through the girl one end to another, and the first thing i saw that was junk upon disassembly, was the tranny mount. What a horrible idea that was, boolt and rubber and glue etc... here in new england, that won't last but a few years.

I had some poly bushings kicking around, and i was looking at a trail gear maybe? or allpro? Either way, one of there badass tranny mounts going "i could make that in like an hour". well i was close, 2.5 hours.

here she is, allll stripped, and with some new parts, including the bushings i had laying around, and the DOM for the bushings to go in.

With the DOM cut, this is where they will be made permanent.

Tubes all welded in. Got ALOT of popping and farting no matter how much i cleaned the metal. I mean, its 22 year old rusty gross New England metal, so I didn't expect much less. However, im fully confident in the weld, as i did 3 passes on the inside and 2 on the out, so theres plenty there. You can barely see the holes in the bead in this pic.

Teaser pic before the tabs were welded on the edge, but with the bushings in.

All 4 tabs cut ground drilled and prepped. Let me just add, how much i loooove having an IronWorker at my disposal at work... Those tabs took like barely 15 minutes to make.

Tabs welded on. You can see a snot bubble on a few of the tac welds. I even re-cleaned and swapped tanks to make sure it wasn't something silly, still got em tho, no biggy.

And the grand finale bad larry money saving recycled yota parts and jeep parts tranny mount. check.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:59 PM

NICE! That is a great idea! Saved you like $70! I wish I had some tube and bushings laying around and I'd do this to my stock one to match the TG Heavy Duty one I have...(I have 2 because of the dual cases)
Old 07-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Thats what im sayin bud! I got liek 12 more bushing sets left, im going to make some motor mounts with them. There a super common sized poly bushing, so if they wear (which they rarely do) i can readily replace them.

stay tuned, badass crossmember coming next.

and might i add, this is out of boredome.. my truck is like 99% bone stock haha