The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

1985 Waggoneer Front Axle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you measured the axle yet for the spring width? Its a little wider than a toy axle, so, you are going to have to outboard your springs...
Old 12-10-2004, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by crash
Have you measured the axle yet for the spring width? Its a little wider than a toy axle, so, you are going to have to outboard your springs...
I've heard this discussed before, but I'm unclear of what it means. Do you mean I'll have to remove the srping perches from whre they're currently located on the axle and move them further out and make new ones? Or do you mean that I'll have to make the frame locations different than right under the frame rails?

According to Steve, he said the axle itself is the same as my stock rear axle, though.

Chris
Old 12-10-2004, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ravencr
I've heard this discussed before, but I'm unclear of what it means. Do you mean I'll have to remove the srping perches from whre they're currently located on the axle and move them further out and make new ones? Or do you mean that I'll have to make the frame locations different than right under the frame rails?

According to Steve, he said the axle itself is the same as my stock rear axle, though.

Chris

The waggy axle is a hare wider on the spring width (If memory serves me correctly toyota is 29"). So, what happens if you use any pre-made spring hangers, they will be too narrow, and you will have to build custom shackels to compensate on the shackel end. But, if you do some fancy gringing on the housing, you can get it to toyota width (Did this on a couple SAS's and got a waggy axle for my brother in-laws toy)...

SO just be prepaired fo it...
Old 12-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang, i typed a really long response and explained everything out really well and then i got a stupid forum maintenance thing and lost my whole post...so here it goes, a bit briefer this time.

the waggy axle is a good axle if you want to go leaf sprung or have the expertise to do the link work, another good axle is the Early bronco axle, up to 78? i think...here is my reasoning behind recommending it....

-already setup for radius arm suspension and coils, while radius arms are not the most flexible system out there it will greatly out flex your ifs and offer good on road manners. there are an incredible amount of extended, wristed, modified radius arms out there that will give you great flex without the engineering of a custom 3 or 4 link. (check out jamesduff.com, bcbroncos.com or any other old Early bronco web-site, i know of atleast one taco that runs the jamesduff arms with a custom airbag setup.)

-they are already set up for coils and have useable shock mounts as well, you can also buy the frame end coil perch/shock mount from ford.

-you can convert the axle to six lug using chevy or jeep outers, i have been told that using the chevy outers will widen the axle nearly 2" (might also get you a highsteer ready, flat top arm) factory EB is 59", 4runner/taco is 60.5 i believe, so even if you have to run a small set of wheel spacers to get the width it won't be bad)

-most people that run radius arm setups build a new crossmember to replace the tranny crossmember, this provides the mounting point for the radius arms.

-proven, bentup.com has built a few taco's using similar setups now including one that is very low, on 35's and daily driven with a sway bay...that is how i want mine to end up. this setup is also very popular with the nissan crowd for pickups, pathfinders, and xterra's, calmini is even offering a bolt on SAS kit for nissan trucks and xterras using a radius arm set up.

i think this setup will allow you to keep your truck streetable, it may not offer the best flex in the world but will give you more than you need with a full bodied 1998 4runner. i have been looking at this setup for about 4 years, it was about to find it's way onto my 1990 pathfinder before i sold it and will most likely find it's way onto my 4runner in the next 2 years, probably sooner if i get cracking on welding classes and a daily driver.

if you want to know more check out:
www.tacomaterritory.com
http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/ubb.x...23&f=885603133 (read datz510's swap, there are a few threads, he kept his low...you may even find schaeffer lurking on this forum some)
http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/portal.asp (i know there are a few here and atleast one xterra that used the jamesduff arms.)
http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/ubb.x...&m=57910145911 (this is the afformentioned xterra)

also e-mail me at jhanzlik@alltel.net if you want those pics of your truck playing at fain's ford on the last trip, i will have limited time on here for the rest of my life as my wife is coming home from the hospital this evening with our new baby (boy)!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Make sure that waggy axle doesnt have the vaccuume disconnect...could be a reason it's only $50
Old 12-10-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by crash
The waggy axle is a hare wider on the spring width (If memory serves me correctly toyota is 29"). So, what happens if you use any pre-made spring hangers, they will be too narrow, and you will have to build custom shackels to compensate on the shackel end. But, if you do some fancy gringing on the housing, you can get it to toyota width (Did this on a couple SAS's and got a waggy axle for my brother in-laws toy)...

SO just be prepaired fo it...
I just want tomake sure I'm clear, sorry for being so slow. So, are you saying that the perches on the axle are wider than the frame is on my 4runner?

Chris
Old 12-10-2004, 08:49 PM

I just want tomake sure I'm clear, sorry for being so slow. So, are you saying that the perches on the axle are wider than the frame is on my 4runner?

Chris
actually i think what crash is referring to was only applicable to the older trucks, i am not sure if it is still applicable to 3rd gen 4runners and taco's. i know that it was on previous generation trucks and 4runners.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:47 AM

I've confirmed with the owner of the axle that it does not have the vacuum disconnect, so I should be good to go, right? Now all I have to decide is whether to do the waggoneer axle or the older bronco axle that Justin recommends???

Chris
Old 12-11-2004, 10:32 AM

that axle is a good deal regardless, it may be worth picking up and reselling you could easily triple your investment if it is complete and in decent shape. or you could put the jeep outers on the EB housing to get your six lug stuff. for all your dana 44 needs i would check out partsmike.com, he seems to be the definitive answer and i have never heard any complaints on his service....

or you could spend about $600 on a suzuki samurai, small enough to tow with the 4runner and easy/cheap enough to build however you want and you never have to worry about driving it home! i have had 2 of them and i regret selling them both, the last one i had ran great and had a removeable hardtop, i had about $500 invested in it, sold it when i got engaged and we had the baby on the way.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by justinh
that axle is a good deal regardless, it may be worth picking up and reselling you could easily triple your investment if it is complete and in decent shape. or you could put the jeep outers on the EB housing to get your six lug stuff. for all your dana 44 needs i would check out partsmike.com, he seems to be the definitive answer and i have never heard any complaints on his service....

or you could spend about $600 on a suzuki samurai, small enough to tow with the 4runner and easy/cheap enough to build however you want and you never have to worry about driving it home! i have had 2 of them and i regret selling them both, the last one i had ran great and had a removeable hardtop, i had about $500 invested in it, sold it when i got engaged and we had the baby on the way.
I'll probably buy it and go from there. I appreciate all the help guys, and I'll probably have a ton more.

Chris
Old 12-12-2004, 03:35 PM

I run an 87 waggy axle in my tacoma which is the same frame as your 97 runner. I didn;t have to outboard springs or move spring perches If you want to go w/ coils and feel like spending some more money and more fabbing here is an option that will exclude what a previos post said about the toy axle being on the wrong side. Find yourself an FJ80 cruiser front axle. Cut the knuckles from it and the front cover making it a removeable cover like a dana dif and flip the housing around making the axle driver drop. Be sure to flip the brakes and such to the appropiate side. Now you axle is driver drop and has a removebale cover like a dana diff. With it in place the coil mounts on the fj80 housing will line up directly with the upper coil mounts on your 4runner. Either coil spring it and build your link arms or weld a shock mount and brace it properly in the middle of the fj coil mount and use stock struts and coils and mount the lower shock mount to the one you have welded onto your axle. Don't worry about the 3rd member being on the wrong side. When you picture it all you have basically dont is just slid it over from the driver to passenger side. Anymore questions on the 44 or waggy swap feel free to contact me either through email or pm me and I will give you my number and be more than happy to discuss the 44 swap or fj swap with you since i spent the last year doing mine from scratched and changed it 3 times
Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

Chris
Old 12-12-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RockComa
I run an 87 waggy axle in my tacoma which is the same frame as your 97 runner. I didn;t have to outboard springs or move spring perches If you want to go w/ coils and feel like spending some more money and more fabbing here is an option that will exclude what a previos post said about the toy axle being on the wrong side. Find yourself an FJ80 cruiser front axle. Cut the knuckles from it and the front cover making it a removeable cover like a dana dif and flip the housing around making the axle driver drop. Be sure to flip the brakes and such to the appropiate side. Now you axle is driver drop and has a removebale cover like a dana diff. With it in place the coil mounts on the fj80 housing will line up directly with the upper coil mounts on your 4runner. Either coil spring it and build your link arms or weld a shock mount and brace it properly in the middle of the fj coil mount and use stock struts and coils and mount the lower shock mount to the one you have welded onto your axle. Don't worry about the 3rd member being on the wrong side. When you picture it all you have basically dont is just slid it over from the driver to passenger side. Anymore questions on the 44 or waggy swap feel free to contact me either through email or pm me and I will give you my number and be more than happy to discuss the 44 swap or fj swap with you since i spent the last year doing mine from scratched and changed it 3 times
i would like to see the FJ axle, seems like it would be a lot easier to just get a marlin adapter and run an older style t-case. you could also buy a FROR axle for a little more than a junkyard fj80 axle (atleast at the prices i have seen them).
Old 12-12-2004, 05:01 PM

I would put up pics but at the time the FJ was under the truck it was under another truck 3 hrs away not my truck ND i just happen to be there getting some stuff. You may or may not need the Marlin adapter if using the older axles but they are narrower and you'll need around a 1.5 to 2" spacer on each side to get the width right.. T100's use the same t-case as thetaco and newer 4 runners but is pass drop instead of driver. Just get one for you motor app. That;s what the oil pans come from anyway for the sas swaps on tacomas due to the pickup being in the rear vs the front on the taco/runners. High angle driveline also builds the adapters to go from a D44 pinion to the 85 newer toy u joint so driveshafts aren;t an issue. It makes it a flange setup on both ends instead of a flange yoke setup. I thought about losing my chain case but after the talk I had with marlin on the newer style durbability I decided to keep it and mate it to an 87 for a dual setup. Let me know if I can help you in anyway for your swap
Old 12-12-2004, 05:26 PM

Well guys, I talked it over heavily with my wife, and she won't let me do it! So, does anyone want a good deal on a 1985 Wagoneer axle? Sorry for wasting everyone's time on this, and I really appreciate everything.

Chris
Old 12-12-2004, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by RockComa
I would put up pics but at the time the FJ was under the truck it was under another truck 3 hrs away not my truck ND i just happen to be there getting some stuff. You may or may not need the Marlin adapter if using the older axles but they are narrower and you'll need around a 1.5 to 2" spacer on each side to get the width right.. T100's use the same t-case as thetaco and newer 4 runners but is pass drop instead of driver. Just get one for you motor app. That;s what the oil pans come from anyway for the sas swaps on tacomas due to the pickup being in the rear vs the front on the taco/runners. High angle driveline also builds the adapters to go from a D44 pinion to the 85 newer toy u joint so driveshafts aren;t an issue. It makes it a flange setup on both ends instead of a flange yoke setup. I thought about losing my chain case but after the talk I had with marlin on the newer style durbability I decided to keep it and mate it to an 87 for a dual setup. Let me know if I can help you in anyway for your swap
is your taco a red regular cab by chance? you haven't recently flipped it have you?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Well guys, I talked it over heavily with my wife, and she won't let me do it! So, does anyone want a good deal on a 1985 Wagoneer axle? Sorry for wasting everyone's time on this, and I really appreciate everything.

Chris
See the post about the Inland Trucks long travel setup getting cheaper for 2005?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by dragr1
See the post about the Inland Trucks long travel setup getting cheaper for 2005?
Nope! Where is it? Not that it really matters or anything for me!

Chris
Old 12-12-2004, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by dragr1
i have been thinking about this route, i ultimately however want to SAS the 4runner, however, even when it isn't my daily driver i still want to be able to dd if i want or hop in it and drive it where ever i want. that is another reason why i mentioned a samurai to chris, it is great fun wheeling our 4runners but when you consider the investment to run mild-difficult trails you could have a lightly built samurai or something and run the harder trails without regard for body damage and still tow it with your 4runner.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Nope! Where is it? Not that it really matters or anything for me!

Chris
Linky:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=inland+trucks

Quick Reply: 1985 Waggoneer Front Axle??