California NorCal California NorCal Chapter

Gold Lake Group Run (May 3rd to 5th)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gold Lake Group Run (May 3rd to 5th)

After lots of discussion in another thread, I want to plan a group run to Gold Lake (Lake Basics Recreational Area) for Early May this year.

Basic Details:

Where:
We will be planning the run around the Lake Basins Recreation Area in Plumas County, CA (http://4x4trailmaps.com/OHVA.php?OHVA_ID=29).

When:
I am presently planning to schedule the run on Friday, May 3rd through Sunday May 5th. The plan is to arrive Friday and setup camp, and then have one or two trail runs Saturday, and one additional run Sunday before breaking camp and heading out.

Who Can Attend:
This run is open to anyone who wants to come. Toyota or not, all will be welcome.

Nitty Gritty:

Planned Runs:
My present plan is to make 3 trail runs over the weekend.

The first one will be Saturday morning, leaving around 10:00 AM. I plan to make this the "Hard" run, where we will take Snake Lake Trail (More Details to Come).

The second one will be Saturday afternoon, leaving around 2:00 PM, following up from Snake Lake Trail. I plan to make this more of a "Fun" run, where anyone can come. We will be running the Deer Lake Trail which connects up with Snake Lake Trail (More Details to Come).

The final run will be Sunday morning, leaving around 9:00 AM. The plan is to run Gold Valley trail out to Highway 89 on the way out of town. I am still doing some research to determine if this is really feasible. If not, we may just run part of the trail, turn around, and head out of the area.

Vehicle Requirements: To make this run fun for everyone, I am putting the following requirements on all vehicles coming to the run:
  • Minimum Tires: 31" All -Terrain
  • Minimum Lift: At least 2" of Lift
  • Lockers Required?: No, but suggested for less built rigs
  • CB Radio: Suggested, but not required. Having a CB will make it easier to meet up at the campground which is far off the beaten path.

Additional Notes:
The Lake Basins Recreation Area is approximately 1 hour past Downieville (about 2 hours past Grass Valley).

The Gold Lake campground is a 4x4 campground. As such, you should at least have 4WD, and some ground clearance just to get to the campsite (I could probably make it to the campsite in my stock Tacoma Pre-Runner, but I can't guarantee that it would get there in the same shape it starts in). Some of the early campsites are easier to get to than the later ones, but I'm planning on camping out in some of the campsites deeper in.

My plan is to head up late morning Friday with a goal of being to camp and setting up around 2:00 PM. I may also do a couple of preview runs of the trails to make sure things are still copacetic. For those who can make it Friday, it would be highly advised, but we will try to hold off until 10:00 AM on Saturday to give people time to drive up and in.

NOTE: Once you arrive at the Gold Lake campground entrance, it will take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to travel to the campsite. The road is rough and somewhat slow going (not difficult, just very bumpy, especially with a vehicle full of gear). Make sure to take this into account when planning your departure time.

Current Attendance List
The following is the current list of those planning to hit this run.

NOTE: We have a sister thread on T4R.org being run by Bawlzdeep with additional attendance: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-ro...y-3rd-5th.html

List of those going:
  1. Redwolf3 (OP from YT)
  2. Bawlzdeep/Jon (T4R, TTORA, TW, YT)
  3. Downpour11 (T4R, YT)
  4. Stokes (T4R)
  5. having fun (T4R)
  6. giantsfan (T4R, TW)

Maybes:
  1. stockwell45 (T4R, YT)
  2. rolling blackout (T4R)
  3. Mein4x4 (T4R)
  4. NorcalPR (TTORA)
  5. fj_fowdie (TTORA)

Last edited by redwolf3; 04-09-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Updating the attendance list
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 PM

Like I said in the other thread, I'll do my best to make this. Sounds like a good time.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 AM

Sweeeeet. I'll see about getting some sliders on before hand. . . Hopefully that'll make up for the lack of clearance
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM

What are the camping areas like? toilets and showers or leaf and bucket? Is this a family friendly/wife friendly trip? haha.

Thanks,
Eton
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would like to go but its just over 4hrs from me just to Plumas County
Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by etont
What are the camping areas like? toilets and showers or leaf and bucket? Is this a family friendly/wife friendly trip? haha.
Eton-
Depends on how "Outdoorsy" your wife is, haha.

The campsites near the main lake have Biffy's, the open air, outdoor toilet stall type where you can see the stars over your head at night, haha. The camspites deeper into the area are DIY (Dig It Yourself).

Sufficed to say, I would not consider this "Wife" friendly. That said, the camspites closer to the boat ramp have a few more ammenities, but my past experiences at this campsite are that those sites are generally full by Thursday afternoon, but I haven't gone at this time of year.

The wheeling on Saturday afternoon and Sunday should be mild enough for spouses and kids, Snake Trail is a wee bit hairier, at least the main backside slope, which has a good 45 to 50 degree, off camber drop off.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by twistedyota
Would like to go but its just over 4hrs from me just to Plumas County
I completely understand. The first time I went to this location, I thought it would be more like a 1 to 2 hour drive. After 2 1/2 hours to the trail head, and an hour into the campsite, I realized it wouldn't be quite as "relaxing" as I had wanted, haha.

If you are still interested, but just don't want to make the whole trip in one day, let me know. You can camp out in my backyard Thursday Night to cut down on the drive.

If not, let me know if you want to hit something out your way. I'd be up for some wheeling out your way some time.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Bumpity bump. .

I don't think i'll be able to make it I need a laptop and a plane ticket so I need the extra cash for that, not to mention my lack of armor/traction Looking forward to pics!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 PM

That sucks Steve. At this point, looks like I might be hitting it by myself, haha.

I'll keep this thread up to date indicating whether or not this is going to happen, but if I don't have a few people who think they can make it by mid-April, I may call it off, or reschedule it for a better time.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 AM

I'll be a maybe. I'd really like to get sliders and a spare before hitting any difficult rocks.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM

Jon just texted me about this and I found the thread! lol

I'm a maybe as well. I'll keep checkin on this thread. Gotta fix my skid plate and hopefully get some sliders on before this.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM

I'm going fo sho! Would you like me to extend invites to T4R, TacomaWorld, TTORA? That would get more Toyotas on the trail.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Yep, the more the merrier.

It's not a huge or long trail, but if we get enough guys together, we'll make up for it in volume!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 AM

Done.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would love to go, now that I have a new rig, but I won't be able too fix the death wobble in time. Most of my money went into buying the new rig, I have to build one months of savings to buy the parts I need to fix the death wobble.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM

Getting a pretty good size crowd from T4R http://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-ro...y-3rd-5th.html
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the post over on the other forums.

If I somehow find time, I'm going to try and make a run up to the trail a week or two before our trip to plan out the trails and snap some pictures of what the trails look like. Probably just a one-day "quick-trip".

I'll try and get some pictures posted up after taking that trip.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Sounds good man. Looking forward to meeting everyone and hitting the trails.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM

Info on where we are staying

So are we having water around our camping area for cleaning up, dishes or paper plates, ect. and burn?

I know we have to bring are own drinking water. Just need some info as to what to bring. Haven't been to this location for preparedness.

I'm from the t4r group. Thx.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Here's my list of supplies for a normal camping trip:
-tent
-air mattress
-sleeping bag x2
-chair
-fire starter:flamethrwoer2:
-chainsaw
-shovel
-fold-out grill
-pots/pans
-utensils
-lantern
-fishing gear:fishing:
-bug spray
-extra clothes/thermals:smow:
-toiletries
-case of water
-cooler of food and yummy drink
-boom boom sticks:hunter:
and dog food for the dog

Gonna bring an extra 5gal gas can on this run. Bowman trip we were all on 1/2 tank when we hit the camp site.

miss anything?

Quick Reply: Gold Lake Group Run (May 3rd to 5th)