Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to mount off-road lights, opinions and ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He probably got a body lift and hasn't changed the height of the lower bumpers? I agree with you though... something seems a little different.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

You could mount them in the wheel wells like rob "watrd"...
Calls them "rock lights" Makes his truck look so bad ___ (fill in the blank). There is a pic somewhere of them on at dusk. I have it on my computer, but its too big to post. You could somehow mount them by the mirriors. I saw a 4Runner on here a couple days ago (in his sig or something) that mounted them that way. Maybe you could post up in the main thread and see if he could tell everyone how he did it...?
Old 08-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

I was taking a closer look at the back of the bulbs last night, and I noticed that I didn't have them seated in there properly. The flat round metal "base" has a notch on each opposite end. I assume so they get put in right side up. Both notches are a different shape, one is a "U" and the other is sort of a "]" but on its side. The light fixture has the male end of these notches so that they go in there right side up. Well I made sure all the bulbs are in there right, and now the fogs and driving lights point to the exact same height. The driving lights used to be pointed too high, actually pointed slightly up so that is why they would wash out and I couldn't see much light from them. In my opinion, the driving light is now pointed too low now, so I have a really bright spot in the first 15' or so in front of the truck. Does anyone have any input about this? I guess the lights are brighter now, and pointed where the manufacturer wanted them. The overall affect is a little better than pointed too high because at least now the light is on the road, but I'm not turning night into day. The fogs are pointed just right. I just need a bumper replacement with lights mounted to that!

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 08-19-2003 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
That doesnt look quite right. I thought the base bar was spose to be inline with the bumper. That just looks like its sagging. IMO
Were you thinking of something like this?
Old 08-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Vendor: Carr Products
Product Line: Carr Light Wing
Material: Cast Aluminum
Finish: Polished

Give your driving lights the home they deserve.

Most trucks and SUVs, polished, cast aluminum, bumper mount, Light Wing light bar

Carr's Light Wing provides a great looking spot to mount your driving lights. It features a stylish wing design, which provides a much more subtle alternative to larger grille guards. At the same time, the Light Wing gives you a strong, sturdy stance to mount your auxiliary lights. It's made from durable cast aluminum alloy, and it fits most trucks and SUVs.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...art=crb-167302
Old 08-19-2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by OicnaiC
Were you thinking of something like this?
EXACTLY! I have had the pre runner bar on my mind for a mod but keep finding other things to buy.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AZTOY

Vendor: Carr Products
Product Line: Carr Light Wing
Material: Cast Aluminum
Finish: Polished

Give your driving lights the home they deserve.

Most trucks and SUVs, polished, cast aluminum, bumper mount, Light Wing light bar

Carr's Light Wing provides a great looking spot to mount your driving lights. It features a stylish wing design, which provides a much more subtle alternative to larger grille guards. At the same time, the Light Wing gives you a strong, sturdy stance to mount your auxiliary lights. It's made from durable cast aluminum alloy, and it fits most trucks and SUVs.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...art=crb-167302
That's a clever idea. It kind of strikes me as rancher-like, like I'd see one on a F-350 King Ranch or whatever that edition is called. They look sort of like cattle horns
Old 08-20-2003, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

does this look too ghetto? the lights are getting blasted by rocks, one has a crack almost all the way through already. I made this out of that hardware cloth or whatever it's called.
Attached Thumbnails where to mount off-road lights, opinions and ideas??-p8200002sm.jpg  
Old 08-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Bud

these are nice but i beleive it cost an arm and a leg or your left n*t.

Old 08-20-2003, 07:36 PM

Are there any good sites out there that shows a comparison of the different brands? Or how much light they throw?

I've been lookin and can't seem to find much...
Old 08-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

ewarner:

Doesn't look bad. Kind of does look like a homemade job but who the heck cares as long as your lights are protected?

Actually... maybe you can use chicken wire or something else with less reflective metal, maybe?
Old 08-20-2003, 11:53 PM
Banned

Check out where Alan put some.

HaveBlue's latest light mod

They are somehow mounted to the edge of the hood and angled off the the sides at around 45*. Only problem i'd have with that is that I like to get close to tree branches in that area. Maybe something similar to that would work near the cowel/wiper area.

If you like driving on big tasty rocks you can't put them down low up front. Rocks eat lights if they can reach them.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:17 PM

lights

mount a set of lights between your rocksliders and frame.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:31 PM

Here is a pic of the Westin Bar on my truck
This was the only pic I could find of it
As others said earlier it is weak for wheeling but I have never gone that hard on it
Old 09-11-2003, 07:43 AM

Does anyone kow if those westin safari bars will fit a 90 runner? I checked abunch of sites and they all say only for rav4s and newer tacos, but I believe that theres more to it. Where and how else can you mount on a 2nd gen. I want something like the safari bar but can still hold up to light off roading.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:23 AM

I've been talking back and forth with Daniel Stern per someone's recommendation on Yotatech, and he recommends for fog lights that you mount them wide, and then cross the beams, instead of what most people do by mounting them wide and angled out. The reason is that this produces a lot of light right in front of you down low, and gives a great spread of light too.

I just bought a set of his Cibie Airport 35's for my backup lights. I just don't have a clue how to wire them up. Anybody?

Chris