Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What limits 2nd gen IFS max compression ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What limits 2nd gen IFS max compression ?

As my stock compression forward bumpstop was fouling my OME shock, I replaced the compression bumpstop with llow profile ES jobbies.

In messing with lifting the truck on the outboard ball joint on the lower arm , it seems I can get no where near the bumpstops.

I have not tried removing the sway bar yet but it seemed to me that the shock was compressed to its max (OME N98) and limiting upward travel.

I will try repeating without the shock but is it likley the sway bar lmits upward travel so much I can not even hit the bumpstops ?

Thanks

David
Old 10-28-2005, 06:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sway bar will limit travel (up or down)

its (relitivly) easy to pull both the sway bar and shock and see how your travel changes.

if you have cranked your torsion bars then its possible to be unable to get enough weight on that corner of the truck to compress it completly.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torsion bars.

If you are cranked, piss off. You likely were barely using your stockers, let alone low profile ones.

Stock bars with BJ spacers is the best IFS front. You actually use the small travel window you have.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Torsion bars.

If you are cranked, piss off. You likely were barely using your stockers, let alone low profile ones.

Stock bars with BJ spacers is the best IFS front. You actually use the small travel window you have.
Thanks.....

As I stated, the low profile stops were a cheap solution to replacing the stock one which fould the shock body at full droop. They were not really put in to allow more upward travel.

Not cranked yet. Was thinking of just cranking for now to level truck until I get the BJ spacers and diff drop (I have Aisin's)

Not sure on the ' piss off ' comment , does that mean something different in American ??

David
Old 10-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nrgetic99

Not sure on the ' piss off ' comment , does that mean something different in American ??

David
That actaully has me laughing....
Old 10-28-2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
That actaully has me laughing....
Me too...I could not find a sarcasm smilie

David
Old 10-28-2005, 09:39 AM

In messing with lifting the truck on the outboard ball joint on the lower arm , it seems I can get no where near the bumpstops.
David
I could never get my front to compress using a jack, on the trail though I had no problem hitting the bumpstops. I think it was because the rear was super flexy compared to the front.

Key to max stock IFS travel is to keep the torsion bars soft and disconnect your swaybar. Best solution is to lock the front your only going to get so much flex out of the stock IFS front.

And as far as I know there is no diff drop (other than a bracket lift kit) for a 2nd gen, that's 3rg gen stuff.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mean forget about it.

When I had Sway Away bars, an ARB bumper and low profile bumpstops I could only hit them when I jumped the truck.

With the same bars, BJ spacers, no exposed thread on the adjustors and bumpstops, it would crawl to the stops.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I mean forget about it.

When I had Sway Away bars, an ARB bumper and low profile bumpstops I could only hit them when I jumped the truck.

With the same bars, BJ spacers, no exposed thread on the adjustors and bumpstops, it would crawl to the stops.
Thanks....

I have drained the mod fund for this month plus my energy from crawling under the truck every night is running low.

I was going to go with custom height BJ spacers less than the 1 5/8" BUT now it seems that lift hight with the spaces then trim back DOWN to perfect ride height (for me) with the torsion bars will be the best of all worlds... smoother ride and longer travel.

David
Old 10-28-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by RobG
I could never get my front to compress using a jack, on the trail though I had no problem hitting the bumpstops. I think it was because the rear was super flexy compared to the front.

Key to max stock IFS travel is to keep the torsion bars soft and disconnect your swaybar. Best solution is to lock the front your only going to get so much flex out of the stock IFS front.

And as far as I know there is no diff drop (other than a bracket lift kit) for a 2nd gen, that's 3rg gen stuff.
I think Roger does a diff drop kit for 2nd gens now.....

here

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 10-28-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:32 AM

I think Roger does a diff drop kit for 2nd gens now.....

here

David
I stand corrected, looks like he rotates the diff around the front mount to provide an inch of drop.

Very Clever.