Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can a stock 4Runner do "Offroading" wise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can a stock 4Runner do "Offroading" wise?

I am new to 4Runners and Offroading in general, but I was wondering what a completely stock '89 4Runner could do. I want to test out the 4wd and have some fun but I don't really know what the limits are. The car would be my daily driver so nothing too crazy that could possibly break my car but what are some suggestions for Offroading. Should I avoid water and mud? Should I use paths? Anything is appreciated and I look forward to enjoying the 4wd capabilities!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 PM

As far as mud and water, nothing above the front bumper, your air intake is right behind the headlight so if you go any deeper than that then you could hydro-lock. Search that if you dont know what that is. Id stick to more basic paths untill you get a feel for it. Your biggest problem is going to be ground clearance. Id say flex but youd sooner hit the front cross member on somthing before you starting getting on possible flopping angles. A decent set of tires would go a long way if your running like all seasons or whatever too. Do you have any pics of your 4runner?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Being new to 4 wheeling I would definately start out simple. Get in touch with a local 4wheel drive club possibly a nearby ttora (www.tacomaterritory.com), they are usually very helpfull for all types of Toyotas and trails. Your stock toyota is a very capable wheeler depending on driver skill and the limits you are willing to push. Paths (better known as trails) should always be used and not strayed from, (unless its your land or you have permission from someone that owns the land). As always, be safe, have fun and tread lightly.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:00 PM

Actually, I am looking at buying this 4Runner so it is not yet mine but here is what im looking at getting.

Blury for some reason?!?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VA-4Runnin'
Should I use paths?
Yes, keep it on the trail, tread lightly is the key. You don't want to harm the environment and ruin 4x4'ing for the rest of the crowd like many choose to do.

You should be good to go on the stock runner, I keep away from the mud and water and stick to the trails and the rocks. One suggestion if your going to start offroading and start modding and you get on the trails is to get sliders.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:09 PM

Last edited by VA-4Runnin'; 07-13-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, NEVER wheel alone.

Second, you need a recovery strap and solid tow points front (the factory hook is good) and rear (clas III trailer hitch works nice)

Better to start off too easy (like a dirt road) than find yourself on something too hard with a broken truck and not enough recovery skills/practice to get out safely.

x2 on hooking up with your local TTORA chapter
Old 07-14-2008, 04:17 AM

Yea, find someone that knows what the heck they are doing/where they are going....never wheel alone and never wheel on private property or public property without permission. Carry more recovery gear than you think you will need......
Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 AM

What type of exterior stuff would suit me well?

I have always wondered, what do those extra lights do that people have on their front bumpers?

Would bigger tires help me in any way?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by VA-4Runnin'
What type of exterior stuff would suit me well?

I have always wondered, what do those extra lights do that people have on their front bumpers?

Would bigger tires help me in any way?

If you want to protect your nice clean body....maybe some bumpers, sliders and skids....

The lights on the front bumpers are usually just for show to look cool at the mall...there are much more important things you can spend your cash on. Auxiliary lighting should be one of the LAST things you do. If you are wanting to upgrade your lights I would recommend upgrading your stock headlights. Roundeyes sells nice conversion lights that work well with an upgraded headlight harness that 4Crawler sells.

Yes, bigger tires help ground clearance but you might need to regear your diffs and/or suspension lift depending on how big you go
Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Where are the diff breathers on the 1st gens?
If they are like the other Runners you will want to relocate them higher up to help in water crossings.

Fink
Old 07-14-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
See Avatar.....nuff said
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Hey 4x4,get your truck running alright?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Start with some taller tires,better shocks,but make sure what is on the truck is in good shape, ball joints,steering, etc.Get a high lift jack,northern tool has them on route 60.Also a recovery strap.I put a class III hitch mount front and back on mine,and I can place my winch if its needed.{four times at hatteras already this year pulling Gm and ford P.Us out of the sand}Make sure the truck is ready to go,mechancal and safety wise.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 AM

X2, what fink said.

Search diff breathers, don't want water getting in there!

And as far as aux. Lighting, i like mine, use them a lot, basically another set of high beams. Don't do much offroading at night so they are not necessary but for the area i live it was worth the $50.

Other than that, when you get it, probably do a tune up and just start out easy and test your limits slowly. Like has been stated, never wheel alone, have tow points, have recovery gear, spare parts/tires, etc....

Good luck, im sure you will like it if you get the 4runner.

Any more info on the truck? Engine, mileage, etc...

Last edited by 904_runner; 07-14-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search on YouTube for Moab, fins n' things 4runner.
i saw that and thought it would be a good example of a stock 4runner.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM

My '88 was pretty like that...until I got a rear locker. Then I locked the front and it will go places it has no business going! In all seriousness, if I was starting with a stock 4Runner, I would get tires (31's fit stock) and a rear locker and go from there.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Get a budy who can pull you out,
and FIND OUT what it can do.
You will only learn from doin it, just dont do anything too stupid like try and jump off a 5 foot drop into a mud hole bc someone said it would be badass.

Have fun.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Stay away from water thats over the bumper. I've pushed my way through many holes where the water was mid way up the grill and even had a quick wave up onto the hood and no problems, but all it took was once. Game over, new motor time.

Now a usefull item that could help you out in these situations is an intake snorkel. They can get pretty pricy but you can build one out of PVC pipe for about $20 and if you do it right they fit nice and close and don't look too homebuilt!
Keep in mind there are many other things in your engine bay that are still not protected but if you find yourself in trouble atleast you don't need to worry about hydro-locking your engine.

Other than that you will be amazed at what these 4runners can do in stock form. If you don't want to get into any modifications than I would advise you to pick yourself up a set of good 31" tires. They will make a world of difference and 31s will fit just fine.

Happy trails!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 PM

A stock 4Runner will go all kinds or places with a little momentum. If you're playing in the mud and are in holes that need 4wd and some balls - low range, 3rd gear. Rev it and drop it. A 4runner with stock size tires is extremely fun to drive. Enjoy it before you get bigger tires. I know it's fun to play but don't take corners too fast in a stock 1st generation 4Runner. The rear springs are too soft. The body roll is awful, and dangerous. When you lift it go with an add-a-leaf and crank the torsion bars a little. It will handle like a go-kart.

Quick Reply: What can a stock 4Runner do "Offroading" wise?