Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a 6" suspension lift for my 94 runner... does anybody know if one exists?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want a 6" suspension lift for my 94 runner... does anybody know if one exists?

I called 4-wheel parts and the guy I talked to checked a few different brands and said that there was no kit available for 93 or 94. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten a 6 inch lift done without using blocks on this model/year. I have a V6 too.... so if anybody has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

there is no 6 inch suspension lift available off the shelf that i am aware of. you could get the 4inch (ala pro comp, trailmaster, etc) and then get some coil spacers and balljoint spacers to get close to the 6inches you want. or throw on a two inch body lift on top of the 4 inch. no blocks will be used, since there are no leafs....

what are you looking to do? for looks? or offroading capability?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:15 AM

Well, i want the six inch lift for both looks and function. a few of my coworkers who are really into wheeling have told me to stay away from body lifts. will getting the spacers that you are talking about require that i move my bumper up? I don't plan on doing any crazy stuff even when my runner is completed, probably just sticking to moderately difficult trails. thanks for the input!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gsxrguru
Well, i want the six inch lift for both looks and function. a few of my coworkers who are really into wheeling have told me to stay away from body lifts. will getting the spacers that you are talking about require that i move my bumper up? I don't plan on doing any crazy stuff even when my runner is completed, probably just sticking to moderately difficult trails. thanks for the input!
then go w/ a trailmaster 4" and a small body lift for clearance. Re-gear, add a locker and I bet you won't have any problem w/ your buddies
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

yes. what he said. nothing is wrong with body lifts as long as its done properly.

what kind of cost are you looking to get into?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:23 AM

for the suspension i would like to stay within the $1500 range, I plan on installing the lift myself- with the help of some friends of course!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:48 PM

I'm running a 4" Superlift kit on mine with 33s, sotck gears, and a rear locker. It does quite well for itself.

Here's Mikronized's 4Runner with the same Superlift kit, BJ spacers, and 5.5" coils. He's on 33s as well.

Last edited by 4RunnerKid; 03-08-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a 4 inch lift, run 33's and see how you do. I think you'll be pleased with that much of an advantage. For moderate trails you will be fine. You really don't want to run any larger than 33's....but 35's will work if you're real easy on em.......you can break axles and such with 35's or larger.

If you are unhappy with the 4" and 33's you can always step up to the bj spacer and bigger coils and then upgrade tires when the 33's wear out. If you think you will go bigger than 33's in the end...you might want to gear a little lower than 4.88
Old 03-08-2005, 04:45 PM

Skip Trailmaster and Procomp - go Superlift as mentioned. Then figure out what size tire you want, THEN adjust with spacers or small body lift.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the advice! I know that I want to do a lot of things to my runner but at the same time do it the right way the first time around, so thanks for steering me in the right direction!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 PM

Skip the IFS lifts all together.

Go to a 1" bodylift, a rear locker, 33's and some gears.

If you friends told you the IFS lift would be good, then a rear locker and 33's will likely allow you to keep hanging with them.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 PM

why do you say to skip the ifs all together, is it because the body lift will sufice for what i will encounter in CO just as well as a 4" ifs lift? please explain, Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 10:55 PM

There's nothing wrong with IFS lifts. I have yet to break mine. The Superlift kit is pretty damn strong. You could go with BJ spacers, OME coils, 1 or 2" body lift, rear locker, and 33s. Whatever way you go, get a rear locker. They truly make a world of difference on the trail.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Skip the IFS lifts all together.

Go to a 1" bodylift, a rear locker, 33's and some gears.

If you friends told you the IFS lift would be good, then a rear locker and 33's will likely allow you to keep hanging with them.
What Flygt is saying is that you won't need a bracket kit. He runs 33's and lockers with only a very mild body lift. I doubt you are doing anything crazier than he is. 4" is alot of lift and you gain no wheel travel. Save the money, and do what flygt says. I run longer arms. They provide lift and more travel, which is nice, but not necessary.....and expensive.

For real world off-roading, you really only want enough lift to clear the tires that you want. Tires are all that matters when lifting....for this is the only element which raises your lowest extremities.....your axles. Lower means more stability and lower center of gravity.

U came down from the 4" bracket kit to about 2.5" of lift.
For aneconomy rig I would recommend the bj spacers, 1" body lift and some rear springs. 2.5" is more than enough. The locker is the most functional accesory, you wil use it more than you will lift!!!!

Last edited by deathrunner; 03-08-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:47 AM

IFS lifts add brackets made of stronger material to the stock mounts. You have just put a 4" longer lever on all the stock parts and made another union to bend, break and come loose. You have also gained no travel and IMHO, weakened the system while gaining 3" of lift that you do not need.

Not to mention adding 4" rock hangers to the rear lower control arms.

If you are going to wheel it hard enough to need a locker, I am convinced you will destroy things.

Adding a 1" bodylift and 33's is cheaper, more stable, lower and stronger, but you have the same diff clearance.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Off Road Solutions will make you a custom 6"-16" front IFS lift. Also they will weld those blocks to the bottom of your coil springs and then weld the blocks to your spring seats.

Alot of filler weld...............

Give them a call, they love building 12" + IFS kits !!!

(All of this data is bogus)
Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 AM

I'd never been to the OffRoadSolutions website, so I thought I'd check it out. I found this IFS disasterpiece.

Here's alink to his mod list:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/cust.../billlytle.htm

Way to tall in my opinion. He has the 4" bracket kit, Total chaos long travel arms, and a 2 inch body lift. He's running 35" MTR's Without fiberglass!!!!
I figure he has between 8-9 inches of lift. All that leverage is like a bottle opener waiting to pop those stock mounts. Neat!

I had pondered stacking a bracket lift and lt arms when I first went to the drawing board. It didn't take long to see the problems associated. I met a guy down here that did the same thing....he said that he was going to take off the bracket kit....it was too tall and scary. Now add a 2" body lift...wow!
Oh well though it should be seen.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:36 AM

Until I manage to break my Superlift kit, I stand by it's performance. And I wheel mine hard enough to need a rear locker...
Old 03-09-2005, 11:41 AM

ok, so i see where you guys are pointing me and I appreciate the suggestions, however, i was wondering what you think of these rides? Are they at all practical for wheeling or are they just for show? I would absolutely love to have my runner at this level someday, but at the same time want to be able to take it offroad and tear some sh-- up! By the way, how much is a good estimation of what these guys invested into their suspensions, any way to tell from these pics? (which i hope i am posting correctly...)
Attached Thumbnails Want a 6" suspension lift for my 94 runner... does anybody know if one exists?-runner11.jpg   Want a 6" suspension lift for my 94 runner... does anybody know if one exists?-runner2.jpg   Want a 6" suspension lift for my 94 runner... does anybody know if one exists?-runner33.jpg  
Old 03-09-2005, 01:08 PM

Show, show, and more show.

Adrian's (Flyg) truck is not tall but has nothing more than pride to show where his wide and low truck has been and more than you will ever be with four inches of suspension lift.

Forget the lift and concentrate on traction for function.

Quick Reply: Want a 6" suspension lift for my 94 runner... does anybody know if one exists?