Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration with new lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration with new lift

Got the front Cornfed spacers with diff drop installed yesterday by my dealership, had some alignment issues, got those pretty much solved but now there is a vibration at highway speeds.

No vibrations at city speeds but when I hit about 60ish it starts to vibrate, nothing violent but I can just feel myself shake up and down slightly...no feedback in the shifters, slight, VERY slight feedback in the steering wheel. I went back this morning and they double checked everything along with the alignment they did last night and they said the alignment is as close as they can get it and no parts are lose, broken, missing, etc...

Is this normal for this kind of lift (its 3" cornfeds in front with OME 891 coils and OME N86C shocks in the rear). Don't have the new tires on yet so its not that, the old tires are perfectly balanced as far as I know. Vibration started right after the lift was put on, smooth as glass before.

My service advisor (great guy, really knows Toyota's) talked to a guy back in the back and he said that when you raise the driveshaft and stuff it can cause some vibrations, not sure if this is true with this kind of lift or not.

Any suggestions would be welcomed, should I consider taking it to another alignment shop and see if they can get it any closer than the dealer could? Could a bad alignment even cause a vibration problem?

Here is a link to my thread started about the initial alignment problem last night...I posted the specs from the alignment machine.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=Cross+camber

Let me know what you guys think, I may give Cornfed a call and see what they say it could be and if that is normal or if they have heard of it happening before.

Thanks guys!

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 12-07-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

OK well I spoke to David at Cornfed Suspension and he said before I do anything go ahead and take it to a good alignment shop and see if that stops the vibrations...so I made an appointment with a place that the local 4x4 shop recommended so I would guess they'll get it done right.

I will post up after thats finished.

Fink
Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another thing is if your alignment was off for sometime and you got weird wear on your tires...a proper alighnment can cause you to ride diffrently and since the tires arent work straightt...they could vibrate at diffrent speeds
Old 12-08-2005, 10:04 AM

check if there is play in your steering rack bushings!!!!...i had the same problem...only did it at around 60MPH.

put it up on a lift...move the tires (as if your turning) and have someone watch to see if there is play in your bushings? (you need 2 people)

if u have play replace your rubber bushings with polyurethane ones.

-B
Old 12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First few things to check if all above doesnt pan out.... driveline angles (dont think it changed, but never know) and tire balance....
Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

After talking to several people, I think I've decided to get my driver-side inner tie rod end and boot replaced. I'll do that this coming week and see if that helps any.

I'll keep you posted, I will also check the steering rack.

Fink