Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Episode- TRAIL GEAR vs. MARLIN CRAWLER

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ultimate Episode- TRAIL GEAR vs. MARLIN CRAWLER

This is the thread for everyone who has an opinion, a picture, question or idea about these two companies. I know there are other brands out there, but these are two independent companies that offer everything from bumpers, to SAS kits.
Let the discussion begin-
Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
been beat to death
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I say you got too much damn time on your hands.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with TG due to shipping cost. Whenever I get mine I will let you know how it holds up.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marlin all the way
Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 PM

this was more of way for me to make up my mind about things, and to just find out what other people were thinking, cuz in my mind, they seem pretty equal
Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not equal at all. Marlin all the way.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
as a trail-gear dealer i have had zero issues with any of the TG products i've used and sold.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trail-Gear is the Walmart of the offroad world. (This is fact, and non-debatable).

Some people will have a problem with that, and some won't. It's up to you.

Personally, I am torn. Marlin and others innovate products, Trail-Gear has innovated the manufacturing and marketing of them. All reports are that Trail-Gear is producing a quality product at (often) a dramatically reduced price. I want to support the companies that are fostering creative new products for our trucks, but money is money!

Last edited by tc; 07-27-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 PM

i like them both both have there ups and down

like any other company

usely trail gear is priced lower since they tend to be the new dog's

both companies have other companies make there stuff so

choose what you want
Old 07-29-2009, 04:22 AM

The debate between marlin and TG is based mostly on business ethics and the antics of TG's owner Chris Geiger. If you want to read about it, search any of the big 4x4 sites that cover Toyota trucks, you'll find page after page of that BS. Pick which one's stickers you like better. The only place I think MC is far and a way the class of the industry is drive train and the fact you can get American made springs from them.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TrikeKid
The debate between marlin and TG is based mostly on business ethics and the antics of TG's owner Chris Geiger.
Chris Geiger doesn't own TG and never has.

He also has not worked at TG in quite some time.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Chris Geiger doesn't own TG and never has.

He also has not worked at TG in quite some time.

Well, that shows how far I've tried to stay away from the pissing and whining about who did what, doesn't it? He's always been the one that's represented them on forums from what I saw was all.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Wasnt there just one the other day about MC, TG, And AP..?

WTF ?!?1

Dont feed the troll..

Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

I've always been an "all Toyota, all the time" kind of guy so I tend to be pretty brand specific on certain parts.
If I'm going to drop some cash on something I want a reliable piece and a reliable name stamped on it.

With that being said, I have always had this unfounded respect/preference for Marlin products when the truth is, I've never bought a single thing from them.
Does that mean they're doing a better job of "tooting their own horn" or am I just being persuaded by those that do use them all the time?

I said that to say this, I just bought a Master Cylinder from WabFab (Trail-Gear dealer) and have had nothing but positive things to say about it.
I have also purchased sliders from WabFab (Trail-Gear) in the past, while I did have one problem with the length of the legs they sent me it wasn't a big deal and I made it work.

I've never heard a die hard bad story about either one, each have their pro's and con's and like tc said, money is money.

Fink
Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have some trail-gear parts.. I have some marlin parts... if you ask me they both work well together.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
The fact you can get American made springs from them.
Marlin's springs are purchased from Betts Spring company (an american company). Yet, they are manufactured and assembled overseas in India. USA springs is a loose term.

(This is NOT directed at you Trikekid, just people in general)
I always find it ironic that people who don't know the whole story make comments about TG copying everything and trying to steal designs. Its obvious that those people weren't around when Marlin hired Chris Geiger after he was fired from All-Pro. At that time Marlin only produced drivetrain parts (Trannies and Tcases/adapters). But, within a few months had an ENTIRE suspension line that was identical to All-Pro's. If you want to place the blame, place it on Geiger, not at Trail-Gear. Geiger stole all of All-Pro's designs and took them to Marlincrawler. I guess that it was only fitting when he took them to Trail-Gear.

FWIW, I have installed numerous TG, All-Pro, and MC kits. I can tell you that TG is by far the most complete kit. And for the record, you will see ZERO difference in the quality of parts. ZERO!

I prefer to run their kit on my own rig. If I hadn't built it myself, then I ran their products with ZERO issues.

To think that Marlin and All-Pro aren't using Chinese steel to make their parts is absurd. Its the only way to keep costs down and to raise the profit margin. They may buy it in the USA from a US based steel supplier, but I can tell you that its likely Chinese steel. Most steel suppliers sell chinese steel these days.

For the record. I have no issues with All-Pro or Marlin and am not bashing either company. I am simply telling it how it is. I used to work for All-Pro and have met Marlin and talked with him at length on several different occasions. I have the utmost respect for Marlin and do use his parts as well from time to time.

Last edited by ScottyC; 07-29-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Marlin's springs are purchased from Betts Spring company (an american company). Yet, they are manufactured and assembled overseas in India. USA springs is a loose term.

(This is NOT directed at you Trikekid, just people in general)
I always find it ironic that people who don't know the whole story make comments about TG copying everything and trying to steal designs. Its obvious that those people weren't around when Marlin hired Chris Geiger after he was fired from All-Pro. At that time Marlin only produced drivetrain parts (Trannies and Tcases/adapters). But, within a few months had an ENTIRE suspension line that was identical to All-Pro's. If you want to place the blame, place it on Geiger, not at Trail-Gear. Geiger stole all of All-Pro's designs and took them to Marlincrawler. I guess that it was only fitting when he took them to Trail-Gear.

FWIW, I have installed numerous TG, All-Pro, and MC kits. I can tell you that TG is by far the most complete kit. And for the record, you will see ZERO difference in the quality of parts. ZERO!

I prefer to run their kit on my own rig. If I hadn't built it myself, then I ran their products with ZERO issues.

To think that Marlin and All-Pro aren't using Chinese steel to make their parts is absurd. Its the only way to keep costs down and to raise the profit margin. They may buy it in the USA from a US based steel supplier, but I can tell you that its likely Chinese steel. Most steel suppliers sell chinese steel these days.

For the record. I have no issues with All-Pro or Marlin and am not bashing either company. I am simply telling it how it is. I used to work for All-Pro and have met Marlin and talked with him at length on several different occasions. I have the utmost respect for Marlin and do use his parts as well from time to time.

Fink
Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM

thanks scotty, i still like Addicted
Old 07-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by explodingchimp
thanks scotty, i still like Addicted
I still like Addicted, too...just waiting for my sticker.

Fink

Quick Reply: Ultimate Episode- TRAIL GEAR vs. MARLIN CRAWLER