Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Chaos lift vs. Blazeland lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SCToy
I was actually more worried about braking forces tweaking or breaking the bracket in a panic stop on the freeway. A lot of sideways load on that bracket.

??? So your saying the friction of the tires on the road is enough to break those brackets? I would think you would go into a skid before you actually broke those brackets.

And as far as actually hitting the tire itself on an obstruction/hole, I've done that on stock components and tweaked my steering bracket that bolts to the knuckle, along with bent my pitman. And by tweaked I mean it was enough to throw my steering wheel off a full 1/4 turn after the hit and still drive "straight". It was a hard enough hit to blow a bead. (tire pressure was at 12psi). I'd say a 10-15 mph hit into a hole/wall that was enough to bury my wheel and tweak my bumper. I would think you'd rip the heck out of the tie rods before you broke that extension bracket and/or UCA. And If you hit something hard enough to seperate steering components in that way, you'd most likely break any type of LT suspension, TC, BL, Camburg etc etc.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Parker (01-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sliding friction my not break it, but it's definitely weaker than stock and a stress riser with an increased torque arm. If you are in a panic stop and hit a pot hole, that could potentially break it.
My rule is that anything I build must be stronger than stock in every way, it was designed by engineers and to decrease that strength is a major mistake in my mind. I wouldn't sleep at night if I had that kit on the road.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 AM

See comment on tie rods. You cannot convince me that that design is weaker then the tie rods or any other rod joint in the steering. More torque, yeah I can agree with that somewhat. Enough to make that joint, both x and y plane, weak enough to make it fragile? I don't think so.

You forget that that control arm, where the flat mounting section is, is "boxed". Actually, part of that boxing is REMOVED when you put our famed ball joint spacers in there. This boxing with his adapters isn't even cut to fit the extension. So using your theory, you would think that the BJ spacers with cut UCA would be just as weak as well since you actually remove part of it's structure. Have you ever seen that area get tweaked for what ever reason on the road with BJ spacers? I haven't.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-14-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 AM

Stock tie rods shouldn't be used either.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Hiems IMO shouldn't be used on DD's that see the road way. Especially in the NE. Those can develop ALOT of slop in them.
Of course that's an entirely different debate.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:27 AM

What you're failing to see is that because he's using the same four bolts to mount his bracket is that there is now a torsional load on them over a torque arm. Very bad idea.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 AM

Use a boot over the heim and they'll last longer.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 AM

So your saying the extra leverage is enough to shear those bolts? Before you separate a tie rod? My god if you hit something hard enough to shear those bolts, tweaking the UCA or that extension bracket or completely separate the BJ from the knuckle, that would be the least of your worries.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM

So because the rest of his design is also weak, then it's acceptable to use other weaker components why not tackle fail points instead of add to them?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 AM

Your assuming that that joint and the shear strength of those 4 (or 8 in his case) Are a weak point. You need the stength of hiems, tubular a-arms etc etc, then you should either be SASing or running TC stuff.

And if hitting a moderate pothole on the highway at 60mph is enough to break that joint, then you would think that Nate would have many complaints about his kits. Name one, just one thread bashing the quality of his kit.

Wabbit has many more butt hurt people complaining about the quality of his bikini top. Trust me, if Nate has had issues with that kit, we would have heard about it by now.

Especially from this guy: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-223750/

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Cassidy thanks for the photos of the latest on your findings. I am curious as to how you modified the Blazeland UCA Extension Brackets. It looks like you bolted an extension onto the extension? With +5 arms and 37x14.50 tires the extra leverage and weight would make me nervous. That is so impressive your sleeved CVs are holding up. You should go into business sleeving CV shafts. I could send you my specs on the ones that work with that standard length Blazeland Long Arms. Also think about offering the sleeved shafts assembled and rebuilt, so we (the users) don't have to farm out the rebuilding. Contact me off line and we can talk shop.
Originally Posted by ccraviotto
Yes I did bolt a plate to your extension. A few small welds also.I wanted to try this set up before building a different a arm. I used 1/2 inch flat plate . my plane was to place the top ball joint as close to the tire as possibly {deep backspacing 4.25 I think}I also moved the ball joint back some.I had to grind on the ball joint some for clearance see pic.I fill that there is so much separation with the 4 inch lift that the top ball joint and A arm has a lot of mechanical advantage. I started making a jig for a cleaner looking top a arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHhAiEic4sM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXLGMOAom9M&t=25s

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-14-2012 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Parker (01-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 AM

I'll be convinced when he runs it at 50 mph. You're problem is you havent done any long travel research or looked at any race trucks. TC is an entry level kit, it's far from top quality, strength or travel. So just the fact that BL is less durable than entry level kit is a red flag.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 AM

I'll be convinced when he runs it at 50 mph. You're problem is you havent done any long travel research or looked at any race trucks. TC is an entry level kit, it's far from top quality, strength or travel. So just the fact that BL is less durable than entry level kit is a red flag.
Do you not see the lic plate on his truck? Are you assuming (again) he avoids the highway or the street altogether?

It's funny because he's running an extension on an extension (which Nate himself questions in that thread), is somewhat active on this forum, people are questioning the BL kit, yet NOONE who is questioning it has even asked questions in that guys build thread. So much for "research" huh?

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-14-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Plenty of street driven trucks that are capable of Hucking and hitting whoops at speed. Beyond uniballs and heims being a wear item, they are generally very streetable. I'm at a VORRA race right now and several trucks drove here.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So because the rest of his design is also weak, then it's acceptable to use other weaker components why not tackle fail points instead of add to them?
Find one person that has broken a Blazeland kit or something else because of it. It does what it is designed to do and does it well. If you don't like the design, don't buy it. End of discussion.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 PM

You're right, if the kit accomplishes what you want out of it, than that's all you really need.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 PM

blazeland t100

Just put blazeland on my t100 LOVE it so far. And its cheaper than total chaos if your not planning on really really hard jumping and huge woop sections that would require a full sized triple bypass shock I would go with blazeland. That bracket will never fail the upper arm would fold before that happened and you can always reinforce that upper arm. Its all about money, If you can afford $2k in just shocks and the additional $2.8k for the kit total chaos is nice. But after holding the parts in my hands I have confidence in blazeland. I spend 750 on shocks way cheaper if you keep your torsion bars of course. (1k if you go for 2.5s) 1500 for kit plus shock mounts. fox 2.0 RR coilovers 600lb spring 50/60 valving (guessed on springs and valving so far so good) I no longer use my bars, they are a pain. (selling 300m t100 bars)

Last edited by Zpd426; 04-14-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its not fair to assume Blazeland has poor customer service from one guy who claims I was unresponsive in his attampts to contact me. I did find his PM here on YT and my response was to write me at the blazelandn8@yahoo e-mail address as YT is limited in the amount of PMs one is allowed. I cannot find any evidence that he wrote me at yahoo. Not saying he didn't but I just can't find it. Maybe I deleted it as span or something. There is no logic that I would single out a potential customer like he is claiming.

Last edited by BlazeN8; 04-15-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Food for thought......when Ford created the Raptor why didn't they use heims or uniballs? I read in Offroad Magazine it has something to do with the D.O.T. approval. Sealed and greasable joints are the only way to get approval for the longevity.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Food for thought......when Ford created the Raptor why didn't they use heims or uniballs? I read in Offroad Magazine it has something to do with the D.O.T. approval. Sealed and greasable joints are the only way to get approval for the longevity.
Food for thought.... Ford also uses blocks under the leafs, and only a 3 leaf pack.. How many prerunners or race trucks (using leafs..) are only running 3 leafs?

Why don't manufacturers use discs all around? cost right? Why would you use a uniball when balljoints are 1/50th the cost...

Also....

Subject: Interest in your LT kit From: "Kevin W" <kevin@toexistphoto.com> Date: Mon, September 13, 2010 1:49 pm To: blazelandn8@yahoo.com Priority: Normal
Hey there, I've got a couple of questions regarding your long travel kit before I order it up - hopefully you can shed some light..

I have Downey 26mm torsion bars, Doetch Tech 8000 pre runner shocks, and Downey 3" lift rears (for a pre-89 so I'm hybrid packing them with my 93 stock leafs) - none of this stuff is in my truck, I'm waiting to put everything together when I get your kit .. Do you think anything wouldn't work well? I've got a 93 4 cyl ex. cab pickup if it helps..

Another question I'm wondering is, are your kits ready to go off the shelf right now? Or do you need some time to put them all together.. I'd be looking for a deluxe kit as I believe my upper control arms, at least my pass side is tweaked a little - and my lowers have been hammered by rocks for long enough that they're pretty worn out as well.. Aside from axles, I have everything else already so I wouldn't need the grand slam..

Also, what do you charge for shipping? I have a state side address a half hour drive from my place in Canada, 55605 zip if it helps - I'm sure that'll be cheaper than shipping up here..

Once I get this kit installed, are there any pictures you would like? I'm a photographer with experience in product shots and specialize primarily in off road photography, just wondering if you need some more shots, or some high quality detailed shots of anything to help promote your kit a little better. If you send me a sticker to put on my truck I'll gladly provide you with as many shots as you want with no charge or discount as I believe in your product enough to want to help out as much as possible..

Thanks for your time, I look forward to running your kit and showing all my SAS friends a more comfortable, capable alternative. Damn uncomfortable solid axles..

-Kevin

I sent the same email from a second email address I have, with a different header..

Last edited by exist; 04-15-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 PM

I don't know how your messages slipped through the cracks but Nate had some of the best customer service I have encountered. Last year we talked for a few hours about the kit and options. When I was ready to buy a few weeks ago he responded to every email within a day or 2 and half the time he called Instead and we had half hour long discussions. What happened with you is unfortunate but I think you should get past it and get yourself a sweet LT kit.

Quick Reply: Total Chaos lift vs. Blazeland lift