Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAS or Total Chaos

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS or Total Chaos

Ive been into wheeling for about 2 years now. I have a 88 4Runner, mostly stock...rebuilt engine, rebuilt tranny, new clutch, starter, etc...basically a solid drivetrain. I usually go to hollister hills to 4wheel but i have been recently intrested in dunes. My question is what would i be better off with a Marlin SAS or Total Chaos long travel lift. I would be doing all the work myself with the help of a few friends. Two of my other buddies mainly rock crawl and trail run but they all enjoy the dunes alot.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The consensus around here is if you are asking if you need a SAS, you probably don't.

However, if I were to spend the money, I would most likely just put a straight axle underneath because its stronger.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you plan on doing high speed dune runs, long travel ifs. if your gonna just drive thru the sand, and want a good set up for rocks, sas.

the suspension with a sas just isn't designed to react the proper way with desert running. so it comes down to what time of sand runs do you want to do?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:52 PM

Personally, I'd probably do the TC kit if I had a 3rd or 4th gen. 2nd or 1st, I'd do a SAS... that's just me. I guess it depends on what you're going for. Ultimately, you can build a solid axle for more articulation than any kind of independent. But because of the increased unsprung weight it won't react as quickly as independent.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
The consensus around here is if you are asking if you need a SAS, you probably don't.
Thank you for the smart response...i didnt say i NEEDED i said i WANT , and i just want some insight into what is gunna be a better all around wheeler basically.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

well, better for mud, solid axle i'd say. better for rocks, solid axle. desert---if you dont go bombing thru you'd be fine with a solid axle.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks randomness for the better reply!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

lol

Yeah, I think everyone want's a SAS

Well, at least I do. I would love to put it together... Thats almost more fun than anything else (sometimes at least).
Old 11-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

BTW-- where do you live? I need to get out to Hollister one of these days.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 PM

San Jose, Ca
Old 11-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Yeah hollisters about 45 mins away. Its nice and close!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 PM

They are wholly different animals and address different issues.

It is not an "or" situation.

Parts cost is a wash if you can weld.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
lol

Yeah, I think everyone want's a SAS

Well, at least I do. I would love to put it together... Thats almost more fun than anything else (sometimes at least).
How far is Diamond Bar to Santa Cruz?.. im gonna hold u to that!!!! Im still trying to get parts for my Tundra.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

If you are primarily interested in running dunes, long travel IFS is the only way to go. The front solid axle will weigh you down too much, and won't handle going airborn as well as the LT kit will.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:24 AM

If you'r gonna get really crazy in the rocks.....you want an SAS. But if you're smart with IFS, you can get pretty damn far. Flygenstein has done some pretty tough stuff with his relatively stock IFS.

I do a 50 50 mix of fast riding and slower trails and long travel IFS leaves nothing to be desired. But the realist inside me knows that if I were primarily a rockcrawler I would want an SAS.

Now SAS isn't terrible for fast stuff. Look at the Jeep XJ's in teh Jeepspeed races they haul butt. My friend with and XJ keeps up real nice in the fast stuff. BUT, he bounces around a hell of alot more than I do.

Another time we were all jumping our trucks in superstition. All of us IFS guys were catching air and landing allright. But the 2 SAS guys both ran itno trouble. Fartrucks landing was super harsh and I think he said he killed a shock or two. Then our other buddy with a built XJ smashed his downpipe with his axle. That big axle has to go somewhere.

Check the video:

http://sethmetal.com/truckimages/sup...umpinfools.mov

I covered the sounds with music, but if you compared the soudns of the landings, you could tell that the first two trucks landed much softer. Not that jumping is what we all plan to do with our trucks, but I think it is a testament to taking harder hits.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:49 AM

The hardest problem im running into is...4 of my buddies run solid axles, and one wants to SAS. We mainly do trips down to Hollister Hills (trail & crawl), but all love dunes and Pismo. From all of your experiance what would i be better off with, considering most of my buddies are solid axle rigs. Do i go against the flow and start a craze with baja or do i stick with them and trail/crawl?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 88Runner
The hardest problem im running into is...4 of my buddies run solid axles, and one wants to SAS. We mainly do trips down to Hollister Hills (trail & crawl), but all love dunes and Pismo. From all of your experiance what would i be better off with, considering most of my buddies are solid axle rigs. Do i go against the flow and start a craze with baja or do i stick with them and trail/crawl?

Well, do you want to get made fun of in the rocks, or make fun of them in the sand??
Old 11-11-2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jared
Well, do you want to get made fun of in the rocks, or make fun of them in the sand??
Exactly. Do you give a shizzle what people think of you? because guys like Flygenstein and Schaefer WILL put down your rig.

How often do you think you will get out to the dunes? Have you ever riden in a long travel truck? Have you ever ridin in a Solid axle truck in the dunes? I would suggest doing both before you decide.

How difficult are the trails that you're friends are doing? You can do alot with long travel setups.

I don't think any of us can/should make that decision for you. It's really best left to the vehichle owner.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
How often do you think you will get out to the dunes? Have you ever riden in a long travel truck? Have you ever ridin in a Solid axle truck in the dunes? I would suggest doing both before you decide.

How difficult are the trails that you're friends are doing? You can do alot with long travel setups.
You are right, you can do alot in a LT truck. An LT truck and be a pretty good all around truck.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM

I would stick with IFS for its ride and TC's durability. Look at it this way, if you ever do decide to go SAS after you get the Total Choas, you can switch and sell the TC. If you decide to go SAS then back to IFS your screwed. I'am a big fan of IFS. I pulled more SA trucks out than I have IFS due to the clearance of the front diff. Rocks on the other hand, your IFS has a harder time.

James

Last edited by SRV1; 11-11-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: SAS or Total Chaos