Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PreRunner 4x4 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PreRunner 4x4 Conversion

I've done the search and have come up with little. I'll be searching over at Tacoma Territory since there was a lead on this subject in the archives.

I have a 99 PreRunner which is Supercharged. I am very happy with the truck except I recently went to Paragon with my sister and her 04 Rubicon. I did not know what I was missing. Know since I am 90% already there with the PreRunner package, I was thinking about adding the rest of the 4x4 drive train. I know this is crazy, but I would like to just talk it out. In the back of my head I'm thinking it actually could be done for about $1000 if I score the parts of ebay. Any input of links to resources?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

TTORA is the perfect place to look.
I know there's a write up floating around somewhere with the So CAl chapter.

Another good thing about TTORA is that it seems like bimonthly someone is either going through with an SAS OR is giving up on the idea and selling the parts they've collected. Lots of parts going and probably better than what you could get off of Ebay.

Of course - like everyone says... if you're going to do this work, why not just go all the way and SAS it?
Old 08-30-2004, 06:11 PM

I am an automotive enthusiast, but have only recently been reading up on 4x4 stuff- specifically Jeeps. Is there any write ups on a SAS? What does SAS stand for Solid Axle...

Thanks!

Paul
Old 08-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

You could always buy a cheap trail rig
But I'm sure the 4x4 swap would be easier on a Prerunner than any normal 2wd. Like the guy in the parts department at the Toyota dealership told me, it "looks like a 4x4, smells like a 4x4, but just ain't got the heart of a 4x4".

Edit: SAS stands for "solid axle swap". Would most likely make the 4x4 swap easier, and better for off-roading.

Last edited by Pretacopower; 08-30-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

oh sorry

Solid axle swap
Popular hardcore mod - ditch the IFS and get a good sturdy axle in there
Old 08-30-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PxTx
I am an automotive enthusiast, but have only recently been reading up on 4x4 stuff- specifically Jeeps. Is there any write ups on a SAS? What does SAS stand for Solid Axle...

Thanks!

Paul
Solid Axle Swap.

Search on here, 4x4wire, any of the TTORA boards (either national, or state). You'll find tons of info.

What you'll need is a set of leaf springs, an axle, a front driveshaft, and a transfer case. (And possibly a new transmission, or an adapter, since you have a pre runner. I'm not too familiar with those trannys, but would guess that it will take a little work to get the transfer case mounted to it).
Old 08-30-2004, 06:38 PM

After looking at an SAS, I just don't think it will have the road manarism I am used to. I think it requires more and more mods. How quickly are the limits of the stock front suspention apparent?

Is an SAS required for me to be able to keep pace with a Stock Rubicon?

Paul T
Old 08-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

You don't need to go SAS, matter of fact on the TTORA board where you posted there is a thread where someone is selling off his front parts, so he can do a SAS. Get in touch with him and say you want to buy all the parts, I'm sure he'll cut you a good deal.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:33 PM

I think you could keep up with a stock Rubicon with 4wd....IMO if you don't understand how a SAS truck works, then it's definatley not for you....there's a lot of work involved....

anyways for the 4x4 swap for your prerunner, you're gonna need a 4x4 tranny, transfer case, front diff, front driveshaft, spindles, cv's, and some other various odds n ends....I think you need to have your rear driveshaft shortened but I'm not positive on that....I know a guy who's done it and I think he said it cost him around $1500...not positive...but yeah your best bet is to find someone who's just SAS's their rig and is unloading all their IFS components...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/2WDto4WD...sion/index.htm
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

You'll have to redo the gears in the back too.
Stock Prerunner is something like 3.91 or 3.93, I think.
I believe the 4WD were 4.1?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

I have a 4runner which has the 15" wheels from the factory. I swapped in a elocker with 4.30 gears and the gears coming out are 3.91. I still have to swap the front axle, but when I do and if it's of any use, I could give you a deal on those. I am not sure if the front axle for a 4runner is the same as for a tacoma.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by snwbdr
I think you could keep up with a stock Rubicon with 4wd....IMO....
Rubicon's come stock with F&R lockers, MTR's, front and rear live axles, very good approach/breakover/departure angles.

TRD Tacoma 4x4's come with only a rear locker, AT tires, IFS front/live rear, and decent approach/bad breakover/bad departure angles.

In short, there is no way a TRD Taco will keep up with a Ruby in the rocks, however...let's see that Ruby try to follow the Taco through some whoops at over 30mph.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:41 PM

As far as the Prerunner-to-4x4 conversion, it seems like more and more people are doing it and as some people have already said, with so many SAS's taking place, it's relatively easy to source (complete) parts inexpensively. I say go for it, it will get you very familiar with the workings of your truck/suspension.

Good Luck!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:27 PM

wasn't aware the rubicon was that loaded...still a Heep and not my thing...it also depends on the driver...

Trd models, whether Prerunner or 4x4 come with 4.10 in the rear...
Non-TRD models, depends on engine size and tranny combo
Old 09-01-2004, 07:40 PM

RUBICON's are equipped with a center differential locker.

I also agree, if you're not familiar with a SAS, it is definitely not for you.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:06 PM

I should have never gone to Paragon with my sister. I think her Jeep spoiled me. I had so much fun in the rocks and with the 4:1 transfer case in the Rubicon there was literally nothing we could put a tire on that would stop it.

Just to bring people up on the Jeep in stock from it has:

Dana 44 strait axles front and back
Front and rear Air selectable lockers which engage much faster that my TRD E-locker
4.11 gears
4:1 transfer case
4.02 1st gear ratio
Goodyear MTRs with 7 ply sidewall
Real underarmor in critial locations
And just to state the obvious, it s a convertible too!

My thought was that what a Tacoma might lack in gearing and finess I could make up for in brute HP since I have the 1st gen Supercharger and a heavy right foot. Sounds like I'm out of my leauge before I get started. Playing in the rocks was a blast! I really think here in PA that is the only 4x4 fun I am looking to have.

I really wasn't interested in doing the SAS since I drive 25K a year on the highway- typically at 80-108 mph for long lenghts at a time. Does anyone have pics from an installation? Something that is from a Tacoma would really be nice.

We'll be going up to Paragon on 9-11-04 if anyone want to join us. Maybe even this time I can drive the Jeep. We'll also have a pair of Chevy ZR2s comming along (sometimes haveing to get pulled along). Please tell me that a stock Taco with a blower can atleast keep up with those trucks in the rocks.

Paul T

PS- Thanks for everyones input thus far.

Last edited by PxTx; 09-01-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:08 AM

I wish I would have seen the link for the 4wd conversion for years ago I traded my 96 2wd 4Runner SR5 V6 for a 98 4wd 4Runner SR5 V6. I spent $10,000 grand for the trade, granted the newer truck had 50,000 less miles, sunroof, rear heat, running boards, basically a lot more features than the previous one. With the $10,000 I could have done the conversion, supercharged it with the URD kit and still have like $5000 to spend on rims and a nice sound system. Again Do the conversion, it doesn't sound to bad according to the write up. I think you'll enjoy the truck more.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:19 AM

I'm curious... I wheel at Paragon from time to time and I've been with some stock Rubis. Ground clearance is always an issue for them (as it will be for you). Do you know what level trails you ran? From my experience, stock height rigs have a hard time with anything harder than mid greens (as a general rule).
Old 09-02-2004, 02:24 PM

Last time we were there we we ended up playing on Rabbit Run and Sleepy Hollow for more aggressive terrain. any green was a cake walk for the Rubi. Clearance was a bit of an issue on the blues, but it I guess you ain't pushing your wheel to the limits if you don't touch now and then. Those were Blue 1 and two trails and the Jeep had less that 1000 miles on it. Now that she ain't a virgin at it I'm sure it will be on blue more often.

Anyone going next weeknd?

Paul

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I'm curious... I wheel at Paragon from time to time and I've been with some stock Rubis. Ground clearance is always an issue for them (as it will be for you). Do you know what level trails you ran? From my experience, stock height rigs have a hard time with anything harder than mid greens (as a general rule).

Quick Reply: PreRunner 4x4 Conversion