Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 92 yota to my future prerunner yota :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking my 92 yota to my future prerunner yota :)

hey im new here and wonder if u guys can help me out...
here is my current yota i love it and want to keep it for as long as possible
1992 yota 4wd sr5 v6 3.0L

and eventually in time i would like to get it to this point...

currently i have intake(K&N), Exhaust (headers,cat,glasspack), aftermarket starter, bilstein shocks, 31x10.5 all terains... all this will probably be replaced...

i would like to go with the TC(unless there is another long travel kit for my truck that i havent heard of? feel free to tell!!!){making own long travel takes a long time and have screwed up the last 3 ive made haha} Gen.2 caddy kit with 10in king coil overs and the king bypass 10in... a 4 link kit with king coils... full cage throught entire truck... tundra conversion front fiberglass. rear fenders. bfg 35 or 33x12.50(what would be better for prerun/ desert racing) new gears... the 4.8 or 5.2 not sure(what is a good one to start?) bumper(does anyone know where to get the bumper like the one in the pic???) lights(what would be recommended), engine mods {if possible}( if possible/what recomended?), skid plate throughout bottom, and w/e else is needed... i know its gonna be alot of work b.c i use to race a buggy with my dad a few years back and just loved it till he sold are car :pat: and i want to get back into it but with a truck this time and am gonna start small and probably in a 1450 class. so if there is anything i should know or need to consider or you would like to comment on please feel free b.c i am open to adjustments with parts, going in another direction, critisim(o yea if helps i work in a machine shop so if u have advice for modifications that are self relying feel free too!) ... thanx alot in advance!!!

Last edited by ZeppFreak89; 05-29-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be sure to check out http://www.ttora.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4 - there are a lot of guys on there into desert prerunning - they'll know more about what you need to be compliant with the rules.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would ditch your k&n intake if you are gonna start prerunning...that will suck in dust like a mofo...im sure that is the least of your worries as far as your build is going!

keep updating us with pics prerunners are my favorite

Last edited by 89macrunner; 05-29-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:47 PM

does anyone know about the toyota conversion fiberglass that hanneman makes and fiberwerx and the diferences... fiberwerx is down the street and would b nice b.c of know shipping but if the quality sux ill ditch that idea... and how is the light set up with it??? b.c i know the turn signals are in the bumper?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
All that is great.....WELCOME TO YOTATECH!!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 PM

thanx
Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 AM

That red truck is Jim's from Protrux.

He helped me build my truck the way that I wanted it, and he will definitely know how to turn your truck into something similar to his truck.

Check him out at www.protrux.net

As for LT kits, Chaos is cool, but I ended up going with JD fabrication, a little more pricey, but worth it in my opinion. www.jdfabrication.com
That is the kit Jim is using now, he dumped his chaos kit for it:

ESB makes a kit for serious travel (18"), but you have to lose 4x4. www.esbfabrications.com

As for gearing and tires, both Jim an I run 4.88 gears with 33x10.50 tires. It is a nice combination, you get the height, but the width and gearing help to bring some pep back to the truck. We both have 22re's, so your 3.0 might be able to spin the 12.50's faster. IF you do 35's I would get 5.29's. While you have it open, throw a locker in the back. It will help tons, especially if you are going to be 2wd.

As for teh K&N, keep it. They actually work better when they are kinda dirty. Put some pantyhose over it to keep the sand from getting to it, or spend the money and get a K&N dry wrap if it becoems a huge problem. I've never had a problem, though.

As for the glass. Stick with Hanneman. Fiberwerx stuff is a lot weaker. They build thier stuff really light for racing, but it ends up being a lot weaker. I undersdtand this is due to more resin and less fiber. Hanneman's stuff is pretty beefy, I'f rubbed up on rocks pretty hard and it is still in one piece. Same shape of glass too, so strength and price are your only real benefits.

If you go down to Protrux tell Jim that I sent you, and he'll take care of you.

Last edited by deathrunner; 06-02-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 PM

wow thanks alot i didnt expect such a detailed answer i really appreciate man... now with the jd kit besides the new axles am i gonna have to get anything else for the installation??? im gonna run the 2.5 by 10 king coils ive decided and am just curious... and i was thinkin 35's but in your opinion would you think that it would be too much? and possibly be too much??? and protrux is a hour drive from el cajon so drivein there is my only prob... and fiberwerx is down the street from me i realized and makes me lean twoards them b.c the no shipping part... but idk... i might just make a trip there or somethin... since summer is comin around! haha... and just by chance would u know how is rear suspension set up is?? im thinkin 4 link for mine or the 62" spring thing... (sorry for bein so newbish)!! o thanx alot again deathrunner!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:58 AM

Jim has 62" springs under axle, There are 3 different heights to chooese from: www.kartek.com

I believe he runs a 9 or 12" shackle through the frame. You can just buy a whole setup for the rear form Kartek, comes with that junk plus ubolts and mount.

Protrux deals closely with Hannemann, so I believ shipping is cut, since they drive it down to Jim.

As for the front, the JD kit supplies everything except, the T-100 axles, shock hoops (and engine brace for coilovers), or coilovers. ANother strongr ecomendation is the rear IFS truss support. That should get ya diale din up front.

Probably want some 1.5" wheel spacers in back.

35's would be a bit much in my opinion if you use 4X4 a lot. It can work, but ti is definitely more prone to breakage. I stick with 33's and have not had any breakge yet.

Oh yeah, a heim steering kit and and Idler arm upgrade are helpful too.

If you want it to take on some big stuff, you're gonna want airbumps as well.

Dude, talk to Jim, he'll help you figure out what you need.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 PM

death runner do you have info on your truck or a site? i love it and i want my 89 to look like it w/ out the hood. but deff. love the bumper... thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 09:59 PM

dude death runner i think that there is a major corolation between off roading and guitar playing! haha
Old 06-04-2006, 09:24 AM

SonofaB- There's a bunch of pics of my truck in the "Check out my ride" section of yotatech:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f77/deathrunner-84809/

Also, if you got to www.protrux.net and check out the showcase section.

and here's a thread I updated as I planned and built the truck:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...8&page=1&pp=25

The bumpers were built for me by Protrux, I just told them what I wanted to happen and they made it so.

Zoofreak- I'm not sure I see the corolation. Playing guitar payed for the truck, but otherwise the two are the antithesis of each other in my life. If I'm not thinking about guitar, the truck is my escape. Gotta stay sane somehow. Hope I gave you soem ideas and pointed you in the right direction. I had to do some serious digging when I was building my truck to find info. There isn't too much tech info on the net about longtravel setups and it's even worse if you want to do something wierd with it.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:45 PM

haha yea seriously... and im the same way about the if not guitar my truck ordeal! haha... and thanks again
Old 06-07-2006, 06:26 PM

does anyone know of any good 4 link information/parts website???
Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM

Check here or:

www.pirate4x4.com
www.desertrides.com
www.racedezert.com
www.prerunners.net
Old 06-09-2006, 10:58 AM

linked rears are great for race trucks but dont have very nice street manners...stick with 62" deavers, 12" shackle through the frame, etc...

where you at in SD?
Deathrunner, do you play in a band here in SD? i'd like to come check it out if so...
Mike
Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 PM

gracias deathrunner....
Old 06-12-2006, 12:35 PM

hey i just found this new coil over kit and was wondering what u guys make of this?

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...ersion_systems
Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 PM

its a solid axle kit
Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 AM

Great way to go for crawling. Takes alot of the math out of doing a linked front.

Quick Reply: my 92 yota to my future prerunner yota :)