Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 63" Chevy spring swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can just butt the new hangers behind old one and burn em on its real close to 4".
Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 PM

clean ass truck!!! have you had any problems with rubbing on the firewall in the front?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks chance, ya these tired def like getting into the rear of the fender. They need to be cut for sure. However, it will probably get a solid axle under it and have the front axle moved forward about 2-3" so it wont be much of a problem til i go much bigger.

Currently the runner is down with a HORRIBLY knocking engine so it will be awhile before i get much done on it. Being in college has made it pretty dang hard to get any money to accumulate in my account.

I just got a 2nd job working at Advance Auto Parts so hopefully i can get some dinero saved up for my baby.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Nice looking truck, good luck on getting it running again soon.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Nice work except for the welds. A tip to reduce the roll is use chev 56'' leafs.. its just a little stiffer then 63's, and pretty close to the same flex. Good luck and nice ride.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 PM

welds look like ass because we made about 3 passes on each surface since our welder was a little small. I dont mind the roll, but it might not be a bad idea to go with those so the front hanger is not so far forward.

o well though, thanks again for the words guys
Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
welds look like ass.
The truck is sick though, and the welds don't need to be pretty.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Just realized my truck looks very similar to yours now. But I don't have nearly the same amount of cool hardware underneath

Old 07-29-2011, 01:52 AM

looks killer!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 AM

Hey Brandon, your truck still out of order?

I had a question about your set up. Did you have to install a completely new cross member to support the top of your shocks? It looks to me like these trucks already have a pretty well placed cross member that supports the back of the gas tank.

Also, two more questions:

1. Have you had any issues not running bump stops?
2. How is the ride with shocks in a / \ pattern? It seems to me like they wouldn't handle bumps that cause the axle to go straight up and down.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM

haha nice dude, ya it def looks very similar. looks a lot closer to when mine was on 33s also.

The gast tank xmember is located too far forward and not in a viable spot to use for the shocks. i should have gone with a little smaller shock so they could have been more verticle, but it works.

No issues with no bumps when i was in it, but i would really like to get some under it.
The shocks did quite a bit to keep the bounce down and work well enough for the limited time i was in it before the engine let go.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 PM

So depressing

Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM

^^^ Heart breaking right there. At least clean it up and put a tarp over it!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:33 PM

ya we took all the leaves off it and put it down further in the backyard and hung a tarp over it. once fall hits theres going to be leaves everywhere and hopefully itll hold up
Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Are you ever going to fix it up? If not, I want your bumpers
Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM

haha most definitely man, everytime i get a pay check the first thing i do is hit CL looking for a used 3.0 for cheap. I wanna get a motor in it so i can atleast wheel it til i destroy the IFS. SAS will come eventually...college is getting in the way of a lot of the funds. hard to make money and have classes at the same time...
Old 09-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey two questions PO, did you use 2 or 4wd drive springs? A guy here locally is selling a pair for 25 bucks. They are 3 leaves with an overload spring. I heard the 4wd springs are a bit much to pair with ball joint spacers up front. Also, is that a yakima load warrior or mega warrior. Do you have the extension on it or no? Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Brandon - sorry your truck is sitting - looking forward ot seeing you get it back out there!

I have a set of springs and the sky kit I bought as a package deal locally from a guy who never got around to it, and I want to do this job.

I took a MIG course a couple months ago and think I can teach myself a bit more on scrap before tackling this. But I don't have a welder....yet.

Is this the model you got:
http://www.harborfreight.com/120-amp...der-97503.html

seems like it would weld up to 3/8" using flux core....think this would be up to the job (on sale for $199!)? Also, down the road I want to get into building bumpers...would this welder serve me well there?

I'd been looking at Lincoln, but they are pretty damn pricey!

Phil
Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by skoti89
Hey two questions PO, did you use 2 or 4wd drive springs? A guy here locally is selling a pair for 25 bucks. They are 3 leaves with an overload spring. I heard the 4wd springs are a bit much to pair with ball joint spacers up front. Also, is that a yakima load warrior or mega warrior. Do you have the extension on it or no? Thanks
Hey man, i used the 2wd springs, cut down the rear part of the overload leaf so it didnt extend all the way back to the end of the spring. that is a good deal and i would def go for that man.

Yes, it is a load warrior with one extension in it.

Originally Posted by Philbert
Brandon - sorry your truck is sitting - looking forward to seeing you get it back out there!

I have a set of springs and the sky kit I bought as a package deal locally from a guy who never got around to it, and I want to do this job.

I took a MIG course a couple months ago and think I can teach myself a bit more on scrap before tackling this. But I don't have a welder....yet.

Is this the model you got:
http://www.harborfreight.com/120-amp...der-97503.html

seems like it would weld up to 3/8" using flux core....think this would be up to the job (on sale for $199!)? Also, down the road I want to get into building bumpers...would this welder serve me well there?

I'd been looking at Lincoln, but they are pretty damn pricey!

Phil
Thanks man, i hope to get her going soon as well. it sucks hard to see it doing nothing and sitting.

Heck ya dude, youre going to LOVE the springs. my few months with them was absolutely glorious. Def get the welder and makes sure you get the 3 year warranty with it as well. That welder will def handle it. Just gotta put it on MAX 2 and make sure you go slow. gotta play with it and you will figure out which settings to use. That Chicago does just fine. It built my brother's Yota buggy as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and recommendation on the welder - I spent some time reading the reviews on the product page - not bad at all, for the money. The video there with "Pat" is pretty well done too.

Hey, it's my birthday next week....hmmmmm

Phil

Quick Reply: My 63" Chevy spring swap