Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marlin or allpro front bumper 1st gen runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marlin or allpro front bumper 1st gen runner

What would you guys prefer? Marlin Crawler or allpro front winch bumper for an 85 4runner?

Pros cons?
Personal experiences? Pics?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a Marlin Crawler front bumper on my 86 4runner. I have notice a few pros and cons between the two. My marlin crawler front bumper online fits hawse fairleads so traded my roller fairlead for a hawse fairlead. Looking at the pics on All Pro's site it appears that it doesn't come with a front trailer hitch, which the Marline Crawler bumper does. I haven't had a use for it yet, but now that I think about it maybe I should start using it when I get pulled out. Taking off the stock front tow hooks could help with my approach angle, just an idea.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:45 PM

That is true. And one of those d-rings could be plugged into the reciever.
Anyone with the allpro?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Dave'z all the way (mostly because I have one and love it). His has the receiver, holds a vinch great, and is really friggin' tough. My$0.02

Andy
Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM
BMC

I run an allpro with a custom stinger and side hoops. I debated between marlin and allpro before i bought allpro. I found that a lot of people had a really hard time installing the marlin bumper. Evidentally a lot of the holes do not line up. I test fit my allpro when i got it and i did it by myself in about 5 minutes. I love my allpro, i have no complaints.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...4runner233.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...4runner242.jpg
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM

BMC do you have a bodylift?
Is that the Smittybuilt xrc8?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 PM
BMC

Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
BMC do you have a bodylift?
Is that the Smittybuilt xrc8?
No body lift. The single bar version doesnt tuck up as high as the double bar version but it doesnt bother me. If you went with the double bar version the gap would be filled in. Yes that is the smittybuilt xrc8. I love that as well, works great.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 AM

Good to know the xrc8 fits. I just picked one up yesterday for a good price.
Thanks for the info
Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Do all allpro bumpers come with the black diamond plate stuff on top?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
Do all allpro bumpers come with the black diamond plate stuff on top?
I assume so. A buddy of mine has an All Pro with the plating and according to the pics so does BMC's. I chose the Marlin over the All Pro because of the receiver. I did have issues getting the Marlin to fit. Read about it here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...bumper-140874/

I'm beginnig to wonder though if there are some front end variations from year to year. I also added a Front Range brace and the holes on that did not line up either, although the brace fit perfectly in the space alotted for it.

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...31337b7d67cc58

The brace also threw off the bumper hole alignment even more so keep that in mind if you think you want to add one, regardless of whose bumper you choose.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Have you considered getting one from forum member ScottyC? He makes them and I've heard nothing but good things posted about them. I'd have one already but I have little kids and right now all of my extra money goes towards family activities.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 84RNR
Have you considered getting one from forum member ScottyC? He makes them and I've heard nothing but good things posted about them. I'd have one already but I have little kids and right now all of my extra money goes towards family activities.
I agree that his looks excellent as well. Thread here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...r-sale-148119/

I'm not a stinger fan but I imagine he could leave it off if asked. I also like that the Addicted bumper has a place to mount the stock turns without them looking goofy.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 84RNR
I have seen his bumpers and I think they look great. The only disadvantage is his location. If I went with allpro or marlin I would be able to pick it up and avoid the nasty shipping charges
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM

i say go with the marlin, but that becuase i have one, both are great bumpers its more of a price and preference issue i think, marlin has a stinger and hitch reciever option and all pro dosent and it costs less.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Here is a little mini write up of the adjustments we made on my bumper. Steve Schaefer of Sonoran Steel took care of me on this.

Here you see the arms of the bumper as received. They didn't line up very well and were even worse after we placed the Front Range brace which pushed everything out from the original location

So Steve fabbed up these arms instead. the right angle bracing might not be possible without a body lift.

Here is the brace installed and unpainted. We added the holes across the front to integrate the plug welds to increase the strength.

Here is a detail of the place where the holes did not line up well. Steve made the hole oversized and again added more welding material to increase strength.

Here she is all painted up pretty for a night out on the town.

With the new arms we are able to get 10 total bolts on the bumper to keep everything nice and tight.

A shot of everything all back together.

And a side shot to give a visual of the bumper on a truck with 1 inch of body lift.

In all I'm happy with the final outcome. I think the Front Range brace is a good value at $40, but I like what we did with it even better. I think the oversized hole for the bolt so the welding material can be added should be part of the original design.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 PM

trail-gear also make a front bumper now which also has the reciver hitch and stinger and is priced in between the all-pro and marlin bumper.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 AM

Has anyone modded an allpro or marilin crawler bumper to work with a body lift?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 AM

I can build mine for body lifts. It just runs $35 more since I can't use the normal jig to build it.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
I can build mine for body lifts. It just runs $35 more since I can't use the normal jig to build it.
Consider that proposition carefully. I think these bumpers would need a pretty major fab job to adjust them for a BL after the fact. With the OEM bumper you have a bumper to a bracket to the frame. That gives you some options for adjustment, i.e. little plates to move the brackets up thereby moving the bumper up. These aftermarket bumpers however, are designed to mount directly to the frame and also act as a recovery point. Yank on an OEM bump to unstuck yourself and you will just tear it off. We're talking apples and oranges here. The fact that you would need no additional fab work could easily offset the cost of shipping for Addicted's bumper. Besides IIRC my Marlin was only $27 or so from CA to AZ. Certainly worth a look see.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Consider that proposition carefully. I think these bumpers would need a pretty major fab job to adjust them for a BL after the fact. With the OEM bumper you have a bumper to a bracket to the frame. That gives you some options for adjustment, i.e. little plates to move the brackets up thereby moving the bumper up. These aftermarket bumpers however, are designed to mount directly to the frame and also act as a recovery point. Yank on an OEM bump to unstuck yourself and you will just tear it off. We're talking apples and oranges here. The fact that you would need no additional fab work could easily offset the cost of shipping for Addicted's bumper. Besides IIRC my Marlin was only $27 or so from CA to AZ. Certainly worth a look see.
I don't think you meant to quote me, but the previous post, right?

Quick Reply: Marlin or allpro front bumper 1st gen runner