Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

marlin 4.7 gearset on stock 4runner review

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlin 4.7 gearset on stock 4runner review

when i was rebuilding my engine, i went ahead and pulled the entire drivetrain and installed a marlin 4.7:1 gearset. the install was rather easy, providing you have the proper tools. (namely a press)

anyway, ive had a few opportunities to test it out and let me tell you, its a great investment for anyone with a 5spd.

no more stalling or smoking the clutch or cannon-balling over rocks, etc. 1st gear low with a little gas now and then lets me smoothly go over anything. no bouncing, jarring, etc. hill climbs that were once problematic i can now just crawl right up. rock ledges dont hold me back either.

also, i can fully lock up my front truetrac without having the pedal floored. that helps a lot as well.

btw: rear lunchbox locker, front truetrac, rolling on some 31's

even after bashing the hell out of my gas tank skid and my homemade t-case skid, and using them to slide over stuff, im just now being limited by lack of clearance.

the point: you should plan on lower t-case gears or dual cases much sooner than you probably are now.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:54 AM

no doubt!

they sure make wheelin' a lot easier...
Old 03-07-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
when i was rebuilding my engine, i went ahead and pulled the entire drivetrain and installed a marlin 4.7:1 gearset. the install was rather easy, providing you have the proper tools. (namely a press)

i was under the impression that all the bearings for marlin's gearsets come pressed on by marlin, is this not true? i have a gearset in the mail and when i ordered it i asked about the bearings and they told me they were already pressed on

turner
Old 03-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4.7 gearset has the bearings already pressed on. I just recieved mine tonight!
You will need a press to take the old gears off of the main shaft because it is being reused. I think thats how it works. havent started putting it back together yet. I'll know more tomorrow night.
Napoleon, did you have to clearance the shifter fork and the housing? I have heard some dont need it.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:53 PM

will lower gears give any benefit to us with auto's?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:35 PM

well since im not puttin the whole case back together, am i gonna need the main shaft? this gearset is goin in my donor/front case for a dual case setup

turner
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 PM

It sure makes a difference doesnt' it.
I love mine even though it's 4.0. Marlin didn't have the 4.7 when I went to him. I have an extra top shift case in the garage too.....
Old 03-07-2005, 08:16 PM

Even with an auto, I could not imagine wheeling without my crawler.

Hats off to Marlin for making life slower.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yep. Makes a little engine mighty.

Makes Cheeses truck destroy things............

Old 03-08-2005, 08:52 AM

you will definitely need to clearance the shift forks, with the 4.7 set, there is no other way. die grinder or dremel will make quick work of it though.

i believe that you still need the press when doin dual cases. the adapter kit comes with a coupler shaft that replaces the mainshaft in the reduction unit, i believe it still needs to be pressed into the bearing.

some shops dont use a press (like inchworm), they just give it a quck heating with a torch and slide it in. personally, i dont like using the torch, but if you have a coffee maker, set it to warm, and put the bearing on the hot plate (you cant get it too hot, whereas with the torch, you could mess up the heat treatment), put the shaft in the freezer, and they will slide together easily.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Peter, I'll be doing that tonight.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:34 PM

yes thank you peter, while were on this subject, does anyone know where i can find directions (with pics) on how to install the 4.7's in the reduction unit and then assemble the crawler? marlins website has instructions for the 4.7 install, but the page with all the pics of MC09 build and the install dont really give any directions, a guy over on pirate did a writeup on exactly what i need but no pics, im not really familiar with all the different parts and their names so pics are gonna be huge

turner
Old 03-08-2005, 02:21 PM

the majority of people put the 4.7's in the rear case versus the crawler box, so full on directions may be a bit difficult to find. you will probably have to mix & match the two sets to find the one you need
Old 03-08-2005, 06:03 PM

thats what i was afraid of, oh well, i guess it'll be a learning experience

turner
Old 03-10-2005, 05:10 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Napoleon047

anyway, ive had a few opportunities to test it out and let me tell you, its a great investment for anyone with a 5spd.

no more stalling or smoking the clutch or cannon-balling over rocks, etc. 1st gear low with a little gas now and then lets me smoothly go over anything. no bouncing, jarring, etc. hill climbs that were once problematic i can now just crawl right up. rock ledges dont hold me back either.

also, i can fully lock up my front truetrac without having the pedal floored. that helps a lot as well.

btw: rear lunchbox locker, front truetrac, rolling on some 31's

even after bashing the hell out of my gas tank skid and my homemade t-case skid, and using them to slide over stuff, im just now being limited by lack of clearance.

the point: you should plan on lower t-case gears or dual cases much sooner than you probably are now.
Peter---that's the single bestest gearing mod you can do that will improve the trail crawlin and help your clutch stuff......you have changed the whole "personality" of the rig. Now, of course, adding another 2.28 in the middle sends it into a whole new dimension but that adds alot more work, too.

I think Marlin has made the Yota so much more "offroadable" by developing the case gearing options that he even deserves his own BBS icon
Old 03-11-2005, 03:07 AM
Contributing Member

Update:

I started putting it back together last night and ran into a little problem;
I am missing the input gear!!! I guess I sould have inventoried the kit before I started. I am going to give Marlin a call today. I'm sure he will make things right.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

I just talked to Marlin. They are shipping the input gear today.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:59 AM

yep, you will definitely need that. dont forget to transfer the snap rings over from your old gears! that has to be the #1 thing people forget when doing gear installs.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, they are easy to transfer over, its those smaller c clip rings that are a pain Just getting one on is a 2 person job. ha-ha
cant wait to get it on the road with the rebuilt tranny and new t-case gears.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seaflea
yeah, they are easy to transfer over, its those smaller c clip rings that are a pain Just getting one on is a 2 person job. ha-ha
cant wait to get it on the road with the rebuilt tranny and new t-case gears.

good, someone around here thats done it when i get ready to do my t-case gears, post pics up when you get my old skid installed

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 03-11-2005 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: marlin 4.7 gearset on stock 4runner review