Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good way to reinvent the wheel.

An ARB goes open diff to spool in the push of a button. By the time you spend the time and money homebrewing a kit like that being described, you will have a home brewed, likely half cocked addition to a 25k truck.

700 bucks for an ARB and you skin the cat the right way.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravencr
So, the question that I have is how do I activate this vacuum to lock in the front passenger wheel? How easily could I activate or deactivate this vacuum? Is it something I could do inside the cab with a switch?

Realistically speaking, how much quicker would this setup wear out my front end? And if it did make a big difference in reliability, what kind of costs & items would need to be replaced once worn out?

This seems like an extremely easy and very cheap mod, especially if I don't drive my truck on the road all that much anymore. Anyone else have any other comments or concerns with modding it like this? I think it's a great idea.

Chris
the vac can easily be manipulated by vac solenoids which you can find at junkyards, so yes, you could have an electric switch inside the cab that would control it.

the only additional parts in the front end that will be spinning are the carrier and the driveshaft. everything else up there is spinning on the street anyway. so like i said before, if your driveshaft is balanced and your u-joints are in good shape so nothing vibes when you are driving it at speed, then the additional wear on parts is negligible, IMO.

Last edited by Napoleon047; 12-18-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:24 AM

Very interesting! Thanks for the info!

Chris
Old 12-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

ok after reading through all the posts and information, im still a little bit confused. heres my deal. i have a very limited budget. im looking at getting a locker. i have a 2wd, and i want to be able to do more with it, and ive been told numerous times a rear locker is the way to go. having said that, what are my options, and what do you all think is the best way to go? also, i want to know how much it will help in the snow (if we even get much)
Old 12-24-2004, 10:04 PM

personally, i would hit up the junkyards and find a complete rear axle with the e-locker in it. while you are at it, get the front drivetrain and the t-case too.

otherwise, get a lock-rite and go
Old 12-30-2004, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by northfacer581
ok after reading through all the posts and information, im still a little bit confused. heres my deal. i have a very limited budget. im looking at getting a locker. i have a 2wd, and i want to be able to do more with it, and ive been told numerous times a rear locker is the way to go. having said that, what are my options, and what do you all think is the best way to go? also, i want to know how much it will help in the snow (if we even get much)
First off, my rig is not "typical", but with a rear locker, I drive most "normal" trails like Forest Service roads and two tracks in 2x4. Many years ago I had a 2x4 Nissan/Datsun that I had cranked the t'bars on and ran 29.5-9.50x15 BFG M/T's on. With a rear locker on it, I went most places my buddy's did with there 4x4's.

For less than 3 bills, you can install a good quality lunch box locker yourself. For about 5 bills, you can have it installed by a shop.

A rear locker w/ chains would do very, very well in snow.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by northfacer581
Throw a lockright in it and never look back.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:00 PM

NEW INFO ON LUNCHBOX LOCKERS AND ADD!!!

ok, you can use a lunchbox locker with your ADD providing you disable the ADD so that both front wheels are always tied to the diff. your front driveshaft will spin all the time, but other than that, the locker will be unnoticed.

as discussed before, if you have one axle disconnected from the diff, the locker will be in a constant state of ratcheting. if you lock both axles to the diff, the only time it will ratchet is when turning (when its supposed to ratchet).

saw a couple TJs this way, which have neither an axle disconnect nor manual hubs. on the street, the locker is completely invisible.

so ravencr: yes, you can put the aussie locker in if you can lock your front end together permanantly!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
NEW INFO ON LUNCHBOX LOCKERS AND ADD!!!

ok, you can use a lunchbox locker with your ADD providing you disable the ADD so that both front wheels are always tied to the diff. your front driveshaft will spin all the time, but other than that, the locker will be unnoticed.

as discussed before, if you have one axle disconnected from the diff, the locker will be in a constant state of ratcheting. if you lock both axles to the diff, the only time it will ratchet is when turning (when its supposed to ratchet).

saw a couple TJs this way, which have neither an axle disconnect nor manual hubs. on the street, the locker is completely invisible.

so ravencr: yes, you can put the aussie locker in if you can lock your front end together permanantly!
You are correct, but I'm not going to do it, because after doing my 3" drivetrain lift, my front shaft vibrates too much to be spinning at highway speeds unfortunately. But, I'd buy the Aussie locker in a heartbeat if mine didn't vibrate (ie stock drivetrain height).

Chris
Old 04-11-2005, 07:27 AM

some pricing comparison:

http://www.rubicon4x4.com has the cheapest prices on lockrights that i have seen:

7.5" : $234.95
L4 8": $236.95
V6 8": $198.95

aussie lockers are all $239.99 and there is no V6 model available.

doing some research since im pseudo-shopping for the front now

Last edited by Napoleon047; 04-11-2005 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:39 AM

About the front driveshaft rotation...

I put an Aussie Locker in the front of my '94 3.0TD 4Runner with ADD and thought the driveshaft will spin because the locker would be locked and the ring gear spinning.

I look under the truck while my dad was driving it in 4x2 and the shaft stayed stopped.

I don't understant why the shaft don't spin but it doesn't.

I only notice sometimes a little more of resistance in the passenger front wheel when begin moving, so I've ordered a set of Aisins.

David

PS: The Aussie don't make my tires chirp in the trail and no steering resistance is offered. Also no noises.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:50 AM

that is because you have ADD. since the driver side axle is disconnected, the passenger side axle turns the diff and causes it to be in a constant state of ratcheting, causing wear.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Link to info about factory 4.88 gear third member and lockers.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/locker-stock-4-88-gears-63030/
Old 11-03-2005, 07:29 AM

i was able to get a 4cyl 8" lock right for my SAS from PORC:

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

$219

cheapest i could find anywhere. (you have to call them to order)

Last edited by Napoleon047; 11-03-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:06 PM

hey does anybody know fo sho which tacos (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen) come with lockers stock? are they TRD's only, or is it an option that can be gotten on some sr5 models too? and are the taco lockers auto or manual.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just another tip on lockers.

Although, lunchbox lockers are attractive because they are cheap and drop in, they have the downfall of using the stock carrier. I didn't realize that this was a problem until we descovered that my bearings had spun on teh carrier. This means that the bearings no longer fit tightly.

In a search for a new carrier, we have gone through 15+ carriers and all have a had similar issues.

The advantage of doing a detroit or similar locker is that it comes with a new carrier made out of a much harder metal.

You either pay more upfront when you get a carrier style locker (Has to have the gears reset), or you pay more down the road when your bearings spin and you need a new "used" carrier and setup or you switch top a detroit and the steup.

Just some food for thought.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM

One thing that's preventing me from ordering a Lock Right for my Runner.

The dreaded "clunk" that others have mentioned.

Do you hear the clunk everytime you accelerate, or only when turning? How loud is it? Is it loud enough that you think someone hit your car with a rock? For a DD, is it going to be unbearable?

I do have an auto tranny and have read that this type of locker is a bit friendlier in an auto than a manual.

I'm almost sure that this is what I want because I don't really have mad cash for ARB, etc., etc., and this style locker fits my budget. I go out desert exploring every once in a while and I want all possible traction I can get specially on a 2WD vehicle.

Also, I would like to know if the Aussie Locker is available for a 3rd gen V6, but I haven't heard back from the company yet. I've called and e-mailed them but I haven't received a response. Anyone know if they're available for 3rd gen V6? You have a part/model #? From what I've read, the Aussie Locker is a bit more refined that the Lock Right.

BTW, great info about lockers. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:32 PM

my experience with my detroit soft locker has been great - keep the tire pressure even and it's a fairly transparent ride. I only notice it when coming to a stop and every once and awhile in turns. But, that's the nature of the soft locker to be more transparent, especially w/ auto trannies like mine.

my 4runner is a daily driver as well. In fact, my only ride w/ and engine at this point!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FYI: Detroit’s are notorious for breaking if you break an Axle or Birfield (really only applies to SA trucks). I’ve not read anything about ARB’s or E-Lockers doing this.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 PM

abcde

Last edited by Kalvin00; 11-10-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Locker FAQ