Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift/engine ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift/engine ?'s

i have an 88 pickup and i plan on putting a solid axle along with a 7 in skyjacker lift on it and i plan to run 35s... i dont have the money right now to swap out the 22re for a bigger engine and i was wondering what i could do to my 4cyl to get more power/torque out of it... it only has 125,000 miles on it ... i do wheel it a lot on the weekends and during the summer but it is also my transportation to and from school an hour away so i need to retain as much mpg's as possible but also i cant have a slug... what gear ratio should i run with 35's... i'm pretty sure i have 4.56's in it right now... any input would be amazing ha ha thanks
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 PM

Everything you asked has been answered many times. There's a search button at the top.

You won't learn anything unless you try to find it yourself.

I hope you plan to stay on flat ground with that 7" lift too :/ that's an absurd amount of lift for most practical offroading.

If you'd have searched you'd also know that the only way to get a significant amount of power out of the 22RE is to swap it out. Although I would recommend just sticking with it and regearing.

I'm not really a fan of skyjacker lifts, unless you plan on only driving to the mall with it I'd suggest getting a more manageable lift...maybe 3". Marlin has a good kit, so does trail-gear and allpro.

It sounds like you just pulled the SAS, skyjacker, and 35s out of the air cuz they sounded cool. Read up on people's builds and find something practical for what you want to do.

If you tell us what you want to be able to do with your truck we can help you figure out the best way to do it. Saying you want this part and that part doesn't really give us anything to go on.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 AM

I have a set of 5" skyjacker leafs and a solid font axle off my 83 Ill sell you
Old 11-17-2008, 01:02 AM

I agree, rebuild and regear unless you know enough about machining to put an uprgraded engine kit in it. I put a 3' lift on my 80 model and it would fit 35's if i trimmed the fenders, but very little travel. I rebuilt my 20R with a 22R rotating assembly and a 20 R head. Runs great and stout. But like previously mentioned, what do you want to do with it?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 PM

well i have a whole 83 truck that the lift and axle are coming off of, i would like only a 3-5 inch lift cuz i only wanna run 33s but i cant afford them right now cuz i just started college... the lift is coming off of my dad's 83 along with the straight axle... i would have just used that truck for wheeling purposes but the frame was broken in many places due to rust... and how much for the springs?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 PM

i live in the northeast and where i live there's not a lot of rocks so mostly what we do around here is mudding or just trail riding on 4wheeler paths... i dont need a 7 inch lift and 35's but i need something to keep my frame off the jeep traps and my diffs from getting hung up on the ruts fallen trees and stumps