Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IFS travel - who was measured?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope different Mike, Call TC and ask Nicole about it, be sure to tell her I sent you!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flex info w/ the following...

Front: Tundra TRD 4WD Coils, 3/8" Thick Top Spacer, Bilstein HD Struts
Rear: Downey 2.5"/3.5" Coils, Conical Bumpstops, OME N86 Shocks

As you can see in the last two pics, the front didn't bottom out on the bumpstop and the upper A Arm did not touch the spring. No tire left the ground. I couldn't get it to max the front because the driver-side rear tire was about to rip off my flare. If I were to put a rock under the driver rear tire, then I could probally squeeze 8" of travel out of the front and maybe, just maybe a touch over. I gotta get that BL on for sure.

(from center of hub vertically to bottom of limited flare)

Front normal height: 21.75"
Front compressed height: 17.5"
Front extended height: 24.75"
Front overall travel: 7.25"
% of comp/extension: 70% of travel is compression
30% of travel is extension

Rear normal height: 22.00"
Rear compressed height: 14.00"
Rear extended height: 34.00"
Rear overall travel: 20.00"
% of comp/extension: 33% of travel is compression
67% of travel is extension

Pics of position during measurement:

Last edited by bamachem; 09-21-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:46 PM

swaybar disconnected? it looks like it is in one pic but i wanted to check.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Banned

yup. disconnected.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:14 PM

Last time I measured my front, I had 10.5" of front wheel travel. 15" compressed to 25.5" drooped. It actually compresses further than that on occasions.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LarsDennert
Last time I measured my front, I had 10.5" of front wheel travel. 15" compressed to 25.5" drooped. It actually compresses further than that on occasions.
What suspension do you have?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:59 AM

I've been running '99 springs, OME shocks, 1" top out spacer for years. Lately this setup was "discovered" by Steve S. Recently I added Camburg arms which have higher angle ball joints.

Works pretty good IMHO.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

I've been running '99 springs, OME shocks, 1" top out spacer for years. Lately this setup was "discovered" by Steve S. Recently I added Camburg arms which have higher angle ball joints.

Works pretty good IMHO.
I'm impressed. IYHO do you think the expense of the Camburg's was worth the additional 1+" of droop?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

I just installed a set of used Fox Fabtech Coilovers (thanks Brent) and a 1/4" top out spacer (thanks Jayson).

Here are some quick measurements with the drivers front stuffed and the passenger front drooped while the drivers rear is drooped and the passenger rear is stuffed:

Front

Normal Ride Height (with a 1" BL): 22.75"
Stuffed to the bump stops (Daystar lower than stock): 17.5" = 5.25" Stuff
Drooped (tire still on the ground): 26.5" = 3.75" Droop
Travel = 9.0"

Last edited by Albuquerque Jim; 09-27-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:45 AM

Interesting that you have less compression measurement. It's odd. I installed the Camburgs because I had a lot of BJ interferance with the springs. The extra droop was just gravy that I didn't know I'd get. The other awesome benefit was the increased castor angle! It drives a lot better with less wobble/vibration. For me it was definately worth the money. They are expensive though.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting that you have less compression measurement. It's odd.
I am confused by your comment:

Less? Less than what? With 2.5" of lift, I think 5.25" of compression is better than average, certainly farther than my stock springs with spacers. It stuffs all the way to the bump stops. I even tried to put a credit card between the bump stops and the frame, no go!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Banned

He's not comparing apples to apples here. He has OEM 99 springs. OME shocks, with a 3/8" top spacer. He has 1/2" of TOTAL lift. You can't compare droop and compression on an 1/2" lifted suspension to that of a 2.5" lifted suspension. Different starting points will yeild different droop/compression measurements.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
He's not comparing apples to apples here. He has OEM 99 springs. OME shocks, with a 3/8" top spacer. He has 1/2" of TOTAL lift. You can't compare droop and compression on an 1/2" lifted suspension to that of a 2.5" lifted suspension. Different starting points will yeild different droop/compression measurements.
Lars actually runs a 1" top spacer.

I've been running '99 springs, OME shocks, 1" top out spacer for years.
My question to Lars was in regards to his comment about less compression (it just confused me). Less than what? Less that his set up? Less that yours? Less than the average?

I don't think it's less, I think I get the max compression possible with these. The only way I could get more compression with the same lift would be to cut off the bumpstops and cut out the inner fenders. Those 33's really stuff in there. I don't think I could go to 35's like Schaefer has with these springs, they may be too soft for anthing larger than a 33" tire.

Now if I add more top out theoretically it should shift the shock body down adding more droop and keeping the same amount of stuff. It just wouldn't stuff so far into the fender well. I think I'll try that next, when I have time to pull the front end apart again.

Isn't this IFS stuff fun Maybe I'll just cut it all off and put a D44 in it's place...yeah right!
Old 09-27-2004, 02:42 PM

Hmm, If we are both compressed to the bump stops, then I would think the measurement should be the same. Somehow I'm at 15" and you are at 17.5 but both at the bump stops. Wierd huh?? Maybe it was my airborne adventures with the 4R. At some point, too much top out and the shock will bottom out BTW.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm, If we are both compressed to the bump stops, then I would think the measurement should be the same. Somehow I'm at 15" and you are at 17.5 but both at the bump stops. Wierd huh?? Maybe it was my airborne adventures with the 4R.
So when your front is fully compressed, your measurement from the center of your hub to the lip of your fender is only 15" holy cow!

I do have a 1" BL so you can subtract an inch, but with that you still have 1.5" of compression over me? Strange?

At some point, too much top out and the shock will bottom out BTW.
With too much top out you mean the shock will bottom out when compressed? That makes sense. I have the 1" Daystar spacer like you (that's what I am tempted to try). In fact, until very recently I have been running 2.5" Daystar spacers (one in and one out) and my stock shocks & Springs. I never had and issue with that set up. I only switched to these because I got a smokin' deal from a friend and I thought I'd give them a shot. They may be too soft as some have mentioned, I'll see next week when I test them in Moab.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:47 PM

I have SR5 flares. Do you have the Limited flares?? That could account for the difference too. Still it only changes the compression and extension measurements. It doesn't change the difference between them. Measuring from the center of the hub isn't really mandatory as we are realizing. Different flares and body lifts through everything out of wack. I should measure my static to see what the comp and ext distances are.

Either way, the extra travel I have is due to the arms. There's no way to get that kind of travel with stock arms or even arms that utilize the stock ball joint. Previously, the balljoint boots contacted the coils on my setup. The upright fell between coils on one side.