Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final (?) post, 3rd Gen. skids finished, pic intensive long post

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ravencr
It's funny how all of us seem to be built the same. We love punishment, don't we, in some form or fashion.

Chris
no.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:22 PM

There has been some implication that what has been represented here is not the same as what is being sold. I will make this statement once and only once:

What you see here in the pictures of this thread is EXACTLY what is being delivered to those who have purchased.

Without pointing fingers or laying blame, please lay this issue to rest. As it has been said, the proof is in the product, and I think that anyone who has or will in the future purchase one of these skid plates will be more that satisfied with its strength, performance and design.

If my honesty or integrity is in question, that is unfortunate. Without going into a resume’, I have always represented myself and any endeavor that I have taken on with the highest degree of honesty, integrity and modesty. I manage an aviation business and work directly with the FAA. I am also a moderator on an off-road BBS and have a spotless reputation to uphold. I would never endanger this reputation.

Mike
Old 09-29-2003, 01:25 PM

I'll vouch for Mike 100%

Mark Longfield, CMfgT
Prescott Aerospace, Inc.
Manufacturing Engineer/CNC Programmer
6600 E. Sixth Street
Prescott Valley, AZ. 86314
Old 09-29-2003, 04:57 PM

Thanks Mark!

Sorry if I got all puffy there folks, I'm usually a pretty laid back guy, but I am a man of my word and when it starts getting trounced I'm a nuclear bomb dropping Nagasaki mother f@!%!$r...

Mike
Old 09-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Skid plate project =
Old 09-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by azrain
Regardless I have to make one more anyhow...

Old 09-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Old 09-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

I'll never make another single bloody thing for anyone on these BBS's ever again.

This entire thing makes me...

Old 09-29-2003, 05:33 PM

So how do you really feel Steve?

Chris
Old 09-29-2003, 05:35 PM

sschaefer3,
I'm unclear on how you feel. Tell us how you really feel about it!

Seriously, I am so impressed.
You guys 1. developed a product (r&d)
2. sourced out manufacturing
3. built the things
4. they are produced as promised
5. you brought to market
6. you sold everything within a week.

You may not have made any money but you did alot better than 90% of startups out there!

So when are you going to make some skids for the ones that REALLY need it- 4th gens!

j/k- I'm sure everyone appreciates the quality that resulted from the hard work.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

I've never met Steve, but I'd say he shouldn't try make more stuff to sell and tend to believe him when he says he won't. I don't think he has a thick enough skin to go through the hassles of dealing with customers and suppliers. I'm not saying that to be critical, just an observation based on what little I think I know from Steve's posts and what I've seen or experienced dealing with suppliers and about selling things and all that goes along with it. Some people can put up with it and some can't. (I'm in the latter category myself.)

There are a lot of people who have good ideas and make fine products, but they just aren't prepared for the time and effort it takes to actually sell and support them as a small business. How many posts have we seen about people not being able to get in touch with someone getting irritated when they don't get immediate response to their calls or e-mails? Pretty tough to do if you're working at a day job and trying to get products out the door at night for prices that sometimes seem awfully low for the effort it must take. I don't know how those that do sustain a side-line business manage to find the time - I don't think I could.

Just my two cents worth...

Alan
Old 09-29-2003, 08:15 PM

So now that the drama is in the past, I made my trip to FedEx (they were not happy about 300+ lbs. of steel hitting the ship desk at 5:45, oh well) and I will be sending the tracking numbers out by email.

As far as running a business in addition to a day job, yeah, it has its moments. I've been running an engineering company on the side for the last two years now. September was my goal to quit my day job... Well, I'm still working 70+ hours a week there, so, just keepin' the faith, it'll come together.

4th Gens. I had a guy here in Phoenix that was interested in being a test mule / fit-up rig, but we've lost touch and I can't find his contact info anymore.

Anyhow, life goes on and I'm encouraged by the kind words that have been spoken. Thanks.

Mike
Old 09-30-2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by ravencr
It's funny how all of us seem to be built the same. We love punishment, don't we, in some form or fashion.

Chris
Indeed.

I was getting the skids ready for shipping yesterday afternoon and I am really happy with the way that they turned out. I feel that these are really a great product.

Here's the funny part. I NEED to make another lot. I guess I'll make 20 blanks and weld up ten at a time. Somehow or another I sold them all, even the one on my truck! For someone that is allegedly so smart, I can be soooooooo stupid at times. I'm truly a glutton for punishment.

So, for anyone that wanted one and missed out on this last lot, I'm making more. Should be in about 8 weeks. Hey, that's just in time for Xmas (I don't know about you guys, but the best presents I get are the ones I buy for myself)!

Thanks to all who supported and continue to support my skid plate. I honestly feel it is the best choice in what seems to be an emerging market.

Mike
Old 09-30-2003, 06:17 AM

Good deal Mike! I'm really glad it all worked out for you, and hopefully be a pretty good market in the future.

Chris
Old 09-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by azrain
So, for anyone that wanted one and missed out on this last lot, I'm making more. Should be in about 8 weeks. Hey, that's just in time for Xmas (I don't know about you guys, but the best presents I get are the ones I buy for myself)!
Mike
That having been said, what is the cost? I cannot seem to find it here in this thread, and shipping to a commercial address in 77041 zipper code.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by crawler#976
I'll vouch for Mike 100%
I will second that. I have no idea what the fuss is/was... but I can say that all of my dealings with Mike have been 100% positive. He is a stand-up guy.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BajaTaco
I will second that. I have no idea what the fuss is/was... but I can say that all of my dealings with Mike have been 100% positive. He is a stand-up guy.
Some people did not understand or were surprised that you had the buy the middle supports extra.

I guess they did not really understand the e-mail I sent out or were put off that you had to buy additonal items.

For the record, if you make more skids, I am not willing to make more middle supports. I want it all on the table, 100% Mike labor.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Also we designed it to allow for a 1" diff drop and still be up as high as possible.

I'll work on the middle support blocks once the 12 are done. Until then getting these remaining 12 through is my main priority. What will probably happen is that you'll buy the blocks from me and order the Daystar bumpers from Group Buy or anyone who carries Daystar. I'll provide the Daystar part number. I don't want to buy a bunch of poly and get stuck with it. I HIGHLY reccomend the middle blocks, but you don't have to buy them. More support to absorb frontal blows and rearward forces. Toyota used them and so do I.
Posted 9-11-2003 so I have no clue why anyone was surprised/confused ???
Old 09-30-2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by keisur
That having been said, what is the cost? I cannot seem to find it here in this thread, and shipping to a commercial address in 77041 zipper code.
Very first post, $320.00, shipping included.

Mike
Old 09-30-2003, 11:54 AM

Hey Mike,
If there is a 4th gen in your area, will you work on smack pads for it?
I could throw out a new thread for a volunteer...

Quick Reply: Final (?) post, 3rd Gen. skids finished, pic intensive long post