Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final (?) post, 3rd Gen. skids finished, pic intensive long post

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jeff the marmot
Duh, um, I got lost at the part about using Daystar bumpstops integrated into the skidplate design. Steve, are you putting a bumpstop on the middle support that's in front of the forward-most lower A-arm mount? That support isn't in the pics. I don't understand what you're doing there. So you want to avoid adding another bolt there?

I'm asking this because I still intend to add a middle support to my custom skids where the stock skidplate extended up, and also where Schaefer added the extra support to the Rockstomper. Steve, didn't you just bolt that against the skidplate, or add a bumper there for support? Or maybe I'm way off.
These will have the center support blocks, but right now I'm putting 3-4 hours daily into just geting the lot done. Once they are done I'll make the center supports with the poly ends. Just like my Rockstomper Type II has, but the blocks on these will be a bit longer.

These are 2" blocks the new skid will need 3" blocks.

Supports the front and hold it from moving backwards.

These skids are just so much work is't crazy. It's pretty clear now why Rockstomper discontinued them due to not being able to make any money.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 09-12-2003 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
These will have the center support blocks, but right now I'm putting 3-4 hours daily into just geting the lot done. Once they are done I'll make the center supports with the poly ends. Just like my Rockstomper Type II has, but the blocks on these will be a bit longer.

These are 2" blocks the new skid will need 3" blocks.

Supports the front and hold it from moving backwards. These are just so much work is't crazy. It's pretty clear now why Rockstomper discontinued them due to not being able to make any money.
Steve, I'm still not clear why you guys chose not to actually bolt it to the frame there, instead of having just the bumpers? It seems a lot of force would transfer to the rear bolts upon a pretty hard frontal impact on a rock. How did you reinforce the rear bolts to handle the increase in pressure? Just wondering!

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
These are just so much work is't crazy. It's pretty clear now why Rockstomper discontinued them due to not being able to make any money.
Yep. Talk about doing something for the passion of the sport. Anyhow, I got my 'puter problems squared away last night. Happy days, I'm now converted to Netscape completely. I feel... so... violated and dirty.

BOT, these skids are more like sliders for the front end! Stout baby, stout!

Mike
Old 09-12-2003, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
Steve, I'm still not clear why you guys chose not to actually bolt it to the frame there, instead of having just the bumpers? It seems a lot of force would transfer to the rear bolts upon a pretty hard frontal impact on a rock. How did you reinforce the rear bolts to handle the increase in pressure? Just wondering!

Chris
You would need a hole. We don't do holes. This once "again" is a West Coast Arizona product that does not have any holes.

TC is YOUR man Chris.

Old 09-12-2003, 06:20 AM

So does that mean that the rear bolts are exposed with the potential to get knocked off by are rock, or are they recessed so that doesn't happen?

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:22 AM

Chris
Chris, the prototype skids that dragged and ran into everything never even so much as loosened a bolt. In fact it took a 13 - 15" full weight, dead center sheer drop on Xtreme Mike's truck to mangle a totally unbraced prototype and sheared off one rear bolt. With the final production unit being tucked as tight as it can be, you'd have to take a pretty crappy line at an obstacle or take a major hit (the type that would break something else) to really hurt the skid / mounts. Additionally by using a center support as opposed to a solid mount there is just a skosh of flex allowed so as not to bend any crossmembers. All by design.

Mike
Old 09-12-2003, 06:25 AM

Gotcha! Steve, do you have some more photos of all angles of the plate such as the rear and front sides and back. I like the idea of having maximum clearance for sure. You guys are always great!

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

So does that mean that the rear bolts are exposed with the potential to get knocked off by are rock, or are they recessed so that doesn't happen?

Chris
Look at this pic. They have rock rings like the rear diff.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 09-12-2003 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:58 AM

Thanks Steve and Mike, even though Steve can be a bit edgy, but I love it! And he likes to spank oterh grown men!! What's up with that?

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, all 13 skid plates and the angle iron inserts have been delivered to the TIG welder man today, Friday 9-12-2003. He will work on them at the beginning of next week and then they all will return to me.

I will drill the 2 rear holes and then they WILL BE DONE !

:pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat:
Old 09-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you need a cool-daddy.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bighead
Sounds like you need a cool-daddy.
Oh yeah Baby !!!

Dam! I wish you weren't so far away, I'd invite you over for one. In your quest of the west, don't forget Arizona. October-April are the best months. The summer is like anyone elses winter.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Mmmmm...BEER!!

I wish I could take you up on that offer. Right now I have to settle for a canned Guiness. I'm looking forward to the next time I can head out west.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:19 PM

Pending the sale of one more item on ebay, I'm in!!
Hopefully they won't be gone by then.
I wanted to Thank you guys again for all your dedication to this project. I'm sure everyone who gets one of these skids knows what kind of work went into them. I'll be proud to own one.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RobT2k
Pending the sale of one more item on ebay, I'm in!!
Hopefully they won't be gone by then.
I wanted to Thank you guys again for all your dedication to this project. I'm sure everyone who gets one of these skids knows what kind of work went into them. I'll be proud to own one.
Contact Mike Nevitt, my gut feeling is that you will still be able to get in.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Mike: How is the payment part going to work? I PM'd you a few days back but haven't heard from you.

Steve: Have you put yours back on yet or is it still being used as a template?
Old 09-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Still gone. I will not see any of them until they are all done. So I will get one the same time the rest of you do.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Bighead
Mike: How is the payment part going to work? I PM'd you a few days back but haven't heard from you.

Steve: Have you put yours back on yet or is it still being used as a template?
You have a PM.

Mike
Old 09-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren
Thanks for all of your hard work on these, guys. Much appreciated. They look good, and I am very much looking forward to owning one.

I can pay immediately. Check or PayPal works here. I guess I'll PM you soon, Mike. I think I was one of the first ones to make a deposit to Mike V., which was a couple days after this was announced originally. I'm assuming the rest of my payment will go to you, Mike, but hopefully that extra $50 I deposited will find its way to you as well, if it hasn't already. Any thoughts? I guess we can discuss that privately. I just mentioned it "aloud" in case there were any others who did the same.
Hey bud you have a PM

Mike
Old 09-16-2003, 07:23 PM

OkelyDokely folks, it's down to five.

First 5 paid to PayPal takes it, chronological order, fair and square.

PayPal is: krafteng@cox.net

Parts ship next week.

Mike

Quick Reply: Final (?) post, 3rd Gen. skids finished, pic intensive long post