Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downey locker problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Downey locker problem

Hey all. I'm having a problem with my rear locker. I bought the truck with it already installed and I was told it was a Downey locker. Thats all I know. It doesn`t have any cables running to it, and it `disconnects`when going around corners. This leads me to believe that its a ratcheting locker. Being as its winter its really nice to have for the slippery stuff. But recently it hasn`t been working, or seems to `clunk`when I start moving. It didn`t used to clunk (theres some good engrish for ya). Since I hadn`t done it yet, I changed fluids in the diffs, tranny and trasfer case to a 75w-90 synthetic. The rear diff oil was pretty gross when I changed it. Does anyone out there with more experience than I know if this is repairable or am I hooped and have to buy another locker.

p.s. Should I put in some friction additiveÉ I know you have to use it with the chevs but I`m not sure about these aftermarket lockers.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
downey was a company that did offroad suspension but as far as i know they never made a locker.. it sounds like it is either a LockRight or an Aussie.

as far as the cunking, if it is a lockright or an aussie you may be able to rebuild it, there are only 4 pins and 8 springs (4 small, 4 larger) otherwise yes, you'll ahve to replace it. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/lockright_locker/
Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Downey never made a locker. They were a supplier of parts. I would take your diff out, and figure out exactly what sort of locker is in there.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 PM

I would love to. But this is my only vehicle and I have to get to work. And getting parts to my town usually takes a week-ish. But maybe I'm just making excuses. This is one of those situations where I won't have any idea what to do next untill I take it apart isn't it...I hate those situations.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Below are the various differential options Downey used to sell:

- http://web.archive.org/web/200704260...ents/index.htm

You can tell if it is a locker vs. a limited slip by spinning one rear wheel with the other one in the air. If you turn the wheel one way then abruptly turn it the other way, the opposite wheel should follow the change. With a locker, it'll abruptly change direction with a solid clunk. With a limited slip, it'll be a more gradual transition, coasting, slowing down, stopping then reversing direction.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Thanks for all the info Mr.Crawler. I definatly have a locker as your test yielded a solid clunk. Although I believe its the "no-slip" that is talked about on the webpage because I have yet to hear any ratcheting or notice any wheel hop. And suprisingly enough, after I changed my diff oil (which was black when I drained it) both of my tires are spinning again when I give it some juice on our snowy roads. Sure makes it easier for winter driving with that locker working again. These 35" bfg at's are far from magical on the snow so I need all the help I can get. Thank you everyone for the input.