Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dare I say it, I am not sure I like my OME setup.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dare I say it, I am not sure I like my OME setup.

I am currently running OME N98/72F shocks and OME 900 springs in rear. T-bars are cranked until Ball Joint spacers arrive.

I have 3rd gen experience of stock, Bilstein shocks, Bilstein plus Downey rear springs with Cornfed spacers and finally SAW's with TACO valving with the Downey/Bilstein set up in back.

Currently, my OME set up seems to be the harshest riding of the lot !

I don't even have the ome 901's in back yet I bash and crash over every bump and pothole, rock or even small animal....

I am sure once I get together with FilthyRich and run some trails, I will be singing a different song but has someone else found a set up that rides a little nicer on the road ? Downey springs perhaps, Eibach springs ?

I know OME shocks work better with OME springs but I am prepared to experiment some.

Anyone else here wanna chime in ? I am not doubting the quality, just the suitability for my application which is a DD.

David
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always been leary of OME stuff
Old 11-10-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
(on my second gen)

I went from soft squishy a$$ sagin stock springs and worn out shocks, to a set of OME heavy duty springs (901 i think) and shocks in the rear and it is noticably more rough WITHOUT load.

now through my gear in the back for a trip or hook up the trailer, and its nice ride instead of bottoming out on every expansion joint in the road.

If this was a daily driver that i didnt plan on hauling stuff all the time, i might be a bit displeased with the ride, but i bought my 4runner specificly for road trips when i need to pile an a$$ load of gear, the wife, and 2 dogs in and take off....

SO im happy with my choice

Last edited by snap-on; 11-10-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned

for a 2nd gen, DOWNEY or CRUISER COILS in the rear is what i've heard.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:32 PM

I have all OME stuff, including the 901 coils, and it's not too harsh. I was looking for a firmer ride that didn't float around like an old Caddy . It's firm, but not harsh at all. How long have you had them on? They do settle a little bit, and mind have seemed to soften up a bit, too.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:43 PM

How did you lift the front of your rig Randomness?

I'm only a few days away from ordering a complete suspension for my 95.

Lamm
Old 11-10-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ball joint spacers hear... and ive also found mine to settle a fuz but not as much as my OME leafs on my truck

im VERY happy with my OME leafs on my truck... course they cost like 3 times as much...
Old 11-10-2005, 03:10 PM

I was 100% set on Downey's but Phil can be very persuasive

Also, I had read OME likes OME.

I have to take the rear springs out anyway ( I got em the wrong way around - doh) so I may get some Downey's and see which I like better.

Either the Downey's or OME's should resell well in nearly new condition.

David
Old 11-10-2005, 03:12 PM

I have ridden in some trucks with the OME stuff. They rode like boat anchors.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Lamm, I haven't done anything with the front. Might be getting some BJ spacers in the next few months, but not for more than .5" of lift.

Maybe some of you guys rode in different setups, or you're just used to super-soft suspension? I had a soft, flexy suspension on my Jeep, and it got annoying having soooo much body roll. I'll take boat-anchor-like, over boat-like.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Randomness
Lamm, I haven't done anything with the front. Might be getting some BJ spacers in the next few months, but not for more than .5" of lift.

Maybe some of you guys rode in different setups, or you're just used to super-soft suspension? I had a soft, flexy suspension on my Jeep, and it got annoying having soooo much body roll. I'll take boat-anchor-like, over boat-like.
I just used to a good suspension
Old 11-10-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by init6
I just used to a good suspension
I am used to Bilstein and even some semi race Koni adjustable on my tricked out VW Golf GTi's when I lived in Europe and this feels harsher than all of that.

David
Old 11-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Banned

i had the same experience switching to OME on my 4th gen. i'm in the process of redoing things. there is stiffness (like with a majorly preloaded coil) and there is ejection ride quality (such as where even a minor bump bounces you about harshly and you worry about major parts falling off).

here's to hoping you can find something to add a little comfort. good luck, David!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

I have a friend in town with a 934r. He is running bilsteins all around. OME steering stabilizer, and Downey rear coils. He has a slight hot rod look, but his front is stock height (BJ spacers soon).

His truck rides great both on and off road. I would be more than happy to get him to come over and test drive it (he is a gearhead too )
Old 11-10-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
I am used to Bilstein and even some semi race Koni adjustable on my tricked out VW Golf GTi's when I lived in Europe and this feels harsher than all of that.

David
I dunno what to say, man? I had Eibach/Koni suspension on my Jetta, and I'm used to H&R coilovers on Audis and Bimmers, and mine definitely rides softer. I'm sure every vehicle/4Runner is different. Maybe it's due to having cranked T-bars...that can't make it more comfy... Good luck figuring it out
Old 11-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

I have the OME set up in the rear and am really pleased with it. Stiffer than stock but I was looking for that. Minor settling in the first 6 months. It still rides and flexes way better than my 99 TRD Tacoma did, stock or lifted.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
for a 2nd gen, DOWNEY or CRUISER COILS in the rear is what i've heard.

Agree 100%. You know about opinions though, they're like...-holes, everyone has one.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by toddowaddo

Agree 100%. You know about opinions though, they're like...-holes, everyone has one.
Part of the problem is me expecting a suspension set up designed for off road is going to give a nice on road ride on a truck with 170k, worn bushings and everything else that goes with a 93.

Couple that with the fact that it is a fairly unsophisticated system (93) and it is lifted tp a point outside what it was designed for, I may be expecting too much.

Either way, you will all win as I will put some nearly new stuff in the classies soon, it will either be Bilstein/Downey or all OME.

David
Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
T-bars are cranked until Ball Joint spacers arrive.
This is your main problem. The springs will improve with age and use.

How much air is in your tires?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
This is your main problem. The springs will improve with age and use.

How much air is in your tires?
T bars are cranked less than 1".

36 psi all round with 31 x 10.5 C rated tires.

As it is an easy swap, I feel a softer shock may fix the problem .... I will get back to y'all.

David

Quick Reply: Dare I say it, I am not sure I like my OME setup.