Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BJ Lift or crank the stock torsion bars??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
toss in a diff drop too, should be all good

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Aisin are the best hubs. Lower profile, less rock exposed profile, better mounting method.

BJ spacers are for travel, not lift. I have no real front lift, but can reach my bumpstops that are low profile. Try that with cranked bars.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The spacers do give you lift, but when you add a winch and bumper up front it pushes it right down.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:33 PM

I have completely relaxed adjustor bolts and 15" of rim to fender. That is exactly how the truck came to me at stock ride height. The truck wheels tons better now.

Add BJ spacers are relax the bars.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by byron4
i am confused as to what Marc P means by "loose torsion bars" i am relitivley new to the 4runner club and slightly confused on some of the lingo. are there different ball joint spacer sizes? Are the BAll joint spacers hard on the cv boots and joints? sorry for all of the questions but i was thinking of doing the same thing.
Loosening the T-bars refers to adjusting them so that the truck sits lower in front. This will help with T-bar adjustment: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/torsion/index.htm

SDORI makes 1.5 inch spacers, but Frank once talked about making some shorter if there was interest. Of course you could always get the 1.5" and have a half inch milled off the top to make them 1". http://www.sdori.com/

The ball joint spacers are only hard on CV's if they are used to raise the vehicle. They can be installed in combination with a downward adjustment of the T-bar so that in the end the truck height doesn't change much.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:04 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Angry

Originally Posted by CMD93
I too have been kicking around if the idea of the BJ Spacers, especially after recently installing the Downey HD coils. Just a couple of questions:

What is the approx. height gains of the BJ spacers?
What are the differences between RB's and Toyota of Dallas'?

Chris
The BJ spacers are 1.5" tall. As for what the difference between RB and TOD's spacers the answer is absolutely nothing. They are the same spacer manufactured by SDORI. We both sell his product and I am respectful of Roger as he is a wealth of knowledge and has been very supportive of Yota Tech for years. That's what so nice about this Board, there are plenty of us able and willing to help. Let me know if I can do anything for you.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Thanks Phil for the reply.

I guess that I was looking to the BJ spacers for a lift in the front to level out the truck since the Downey HD's have the rear jacked. But after reading the above posts it seems to be that the BJ spacers are not for added lift, but for increased dowward flex.
It is my understanding that if you install the BJ spacers one needs to "relax" the torsion bars, or CV damage could occur.
I do not know if I'm ready for all that, I just wanted to level out the truck by bringing the front up some.
Anyone else have any other thoughts.

Chris
Old 03-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CMD93
Thanks Phil for the reply.

I guess that I was looking to the BJ spacers for a lift in the front to level out the truck since the Downey HD's have the rear jacked. But after reading the above posts it seems to be that the BJ spacers are not for added lift, but for increased dowward flex.
It is my understanding that if you install the BJ spacers one needs to "relax" the torsion bars, or CV damage could occur.
I do not know if I'm ready for all that, I just wanted to level out the truck by bringing the front up some.
Anyone else have any other thoughts.

Chris
How much height do you need to level it?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:30 PM

You don't have to run the torsion bars loose with the ball joint spacers, but if you do the ride is better and you get more flex. If you tighten you your torsion bars a little after the spacer install you can increase the ride height but you won't get as much flex and the ride will be rougher, you may also need longer shocks. The install is pretty easy if you take your time and are careful. Make sure you get an alignment after you install them. IMHO they are a great addition to an IFS truck...
Old 03-30-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
How much height do you need to level it?

I don't know, maybe 1 to 1.5 inches. Just to level the truck out. The rear is signifigantly higher than the front.

Its weird driving one day with the nose pointed up and the next day with the nose facing down.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
As noted, you can set the torsion bars most any way with the spacer. If you want lift, then leave then set to your current setting and you'll get 1.5" lift. If you want max. travel, then crank the bars down a bit (loosen them) and you'll have less lift but more flex. What you probably don't want to do, at least too far, is to crank the torsion bars up all the way *and* run ball joint spacers. While one might be tempted to get 1.5" out of the spacers and 1.5" out of the bars, it probably won't work all that well, if at all.

It all depends on your needs, but one of the benefits of the torsion bar setup is that you can adjust it up and down as needed.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
As noted, you can set the torsion bars most any way with the spacer. If you want lift, then leave then set to your current setting and you'll get 1.5" lift. If you want max. travel, then crank the bars down a bit (loosen them) and you'll have less lift but more flex. What you probably don't want to do, at least too far, is to crank the torsion bars up all the way *and* run ball joint spacers. While one might be tempted to get 1.5" out of the spacers and 1.5" out of the bars, it probably won't work all that well, if at all.

It all depends on your needs, but one of the benefits of the torsion bar setup is that you can adjust it up and down as needed.

Thank you for the clarification. I'll keep that in mind when I make my decsion.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

What if you used Downey's torsion bars with the bj spacers? Aren't their torsion bars supposed to give ya a little more height and help with the stiffness? Maybe ya could go with downey's torsion bars and bj spacers with the 2" downey coils in the back and still maintain a level stance and crank them bars down a little to gain a little more flex than stock bars and added height. Or maybe I'm looking too deep into it...
Old 04-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

The Downey T-bars will give you a lot of stiffness all right. Are you sure you want more stiffness?
Old 04-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

oh...i understood it as they were less stiff when cranked up. I took it as they were different than stock and it took less cranking from them to raise the front...not maxing them out like you do the stock just to get 1" out of them. Am I wrong?
Old 04-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

You've been reading the Downey catalog too much. Don't believe that Downey BS, they are stiff. I have them on my truck and they are much stiffer than the stock bars. Right now I have them loosened as much as possible and still have some threads holding truck up. The only way I could loosen them any more would be to get a longer adjustment bolt.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Let me clairify something I wasn't fair to Downey about, the bigger T-bars will increased the amount of deflection you have available to resist impact, assuming the impact is really big. It's just that unless you are doing something like desert racing (Downey's big market) or hitting speed bumps really fast, you will just feel more stiffness with the bigger bars.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-03-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

ah...gotcha...well if u got em then you would know! Is there any other torsion bars out there that wouldn't be as stiff? I heard OME torsion bars are good...
Old 04-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
With torsion bars, diameter=stiffness, larger dia. = higher spring rate/stiffer. If you have additional weight up front (heavy bumper, engine, winch, etc.) then a larger dia. bar is a good idea. If you are stock weight up front, then no real need for a larger bar, unless you plan to do high speed pre-running, jumping, etc.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I think someone makes a 25mm bar, Downey's are 26mm. Stock I think is about 24mm. If you have a winch and winch bumper up front, or if you are hitting rough trails at high speed or are bottoming out the suspension, I would consider going to aftermarket bars. Mine really shine and ride smooths out when hitting bumps fast, but just be aware it will be stiffer while going slow.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Roger you beat me to it, at least we are on the same page.

Quick Reply: BJ Lift or crank the stock torsion bars??