Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie locker install

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie locker install

Hey guys,
I put in my Aussie locker tonight, and I'm about halfway scared I screwed something up. Well, I did screw up a brake line, but that's okay. I took it for a test drive around the block and it makes kind of a rattling sound. I know that a locker is going to make some sounds, but this really isn't what I expected. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmm forget to put a piece back in? LOL.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

rattling going straight?
Sorry if it seems like a dumb question...
Old 10-29-2004, 06:02 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan Buchanan
Hey guys,
I put in my Aussie locker tonight, and I'm about halfway scared I screwed something up. Well, I did screw up a brake line, but that's okay. I took it for a test drive around the block and it makes kind of a rattling sound. I know that a locker is going to make some sounds, but this really isn't what I expected. Anyone got any ideas?

any pieces left over? You did re-use the side gear thrust washers, right?
Old 10-29-2004, 08:14 AM

Nathan, you just couldn't wait could ya. LOL

You'll have to swing by so I can hear your "rattle" and try to diagnose the problem.

Give me a call this weekend. I'm plannin' on tinkerin' around the house and should be home mos tht eweekend. Tonight I'm goina to the hospital. My buddy (James) had a kid yesturday (well, his wife did) so I'm goin' to see his daughter tonight.

Try to xplain more.

Rattles goin' straight?? just on corners?? Knowing you, I bet you you didn't miss any parts so I'm wonderin' just what this "Rattle" sounds like.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:10 PM

Heck Ched, you know I couldn't wait. I didn't have anything left over, or if I did, it's lost now . I'm pretty sure I put it in ok. It seems like its working today. I think the rattling was something I dropped in between the wheel and brake drum, no telling what the heck that was. I got a new brake line, so I'm ready to rock and roll. It's a little different to drive now, but I think I can get used to it pretty quick. After taking a few corners, I finally got it to make that ratcheting sound; that is pretty cool! . Thanks you guys.
-Nathan
Old 10-29-2004, 01:11 PM

Oh yeah, should I put my super cool "Aussie Locker" sticker on my pickup? Mebbe I'll just stick it somewhere in my room, haha.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, should I put my super cool "Aussie Locker" sticker on my pickup? Mebbe I'll just stick it somewhere in my room, haha.
Hey, my Lockrite didn't come with any stickers
Well, I remember those post-locker install worries quite vividly. Actually, 3 months later I think I've finally gotten over mine. Remember, sometimes it'll click around turns louder than others and sometime it won't ratchet at all....it all depends on how warm you're rear end is (the hotter the oil gets the louder it clicks).
Let's see what else did I get paranoid over....oh yes....if you coast around a turn too quickly (doing a u-turn for instance or a quick parking lot manuever) the locker won't fully disengage and the back end of your truck will jump all over the place....doesn't feel to good and from what I understand it's not good for the locker.
Maybe that'll give ya some peace of mind
Old 10-30-2004, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
Hey, my Lockrite didn't come with any stickers
Well, I remember those post-locker install worries quite vividly. Actually, 3 months later I think I've finally gotten over mine. Remember, sometimes it'll click around turns louder than others and sometime it won't ratchet at all....it all depends on how warm you're rear end is (the hotter the oil gets the louder it clicks).
Let's see what else did I get paranoid over....oh yes....if you coast around a turn too quickly (doing a u-turn for instance or a quick parking lot manuever) the locker won't fully disengage and the back end of your truck will jump all over the place....doesn't feel to good and from what I understand it's not good for the locker.
Maybe that'll give ya some peace of mind

Haha, yeah, the thing that really got me was when I was idling around the parking lot in first and tried to turn. That seems to be a bad thing to do . The rear end started jumping like crazy! I picked up my girlfriend yesterday, and after I pulled up, she said, "You're pickup is making some crazy noise!" Haha. I think I'll figure out how to drive with the thing pretty quick. It is a little quirky, but not too bad at all.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:09 AM

Hey Nathan, Mrs. Slopoke(d) here...I'll tell ya what you're supposed to do with your sticker. From experience. You're supposed to clean a spot in the dead center on the back of your rear axle and sport it there. You'll get 3 more hp with that sticker on there ...it'll do you no good in your room (unless you think it'll impress your GF).
Old 11-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mrs slopoke forgot to mention that soon after you put the sticker there, it will peel off from the heat

Last edited by outdoorfever; 11-01-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:59 AM

My wife is crazy

I put one of my "Just Go" stickers on the rear of my diff and it lasted for at least 3 years before I sprayed it off at a car wash. That's what I think she's talkin' about. The diff does get alot hotter when it's locked. Hot enough to curl a sticker fo'sho. I guess cleaning the diff with acetone and the sticker being so small, it just never curled. Go figure.

Nathan: How you likin' being lokt? You heading to Disney this weekend?

Kyle: How bout you, you goin'?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:49 AM

Heck,
I didn't even see Mrs. Slopoke posted there until today. Yeah, I felt the diff the other day and it was pretty warm, but that's okay right? I think I might be going to Disney this weekend. If it's as damn cold as it is today, I don't know. Mebbe I'll just hang on to the sticker, hah. There's a reason to get an Aussie right there, they have a cool box and come with a sticker.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey you OK guys, PM me about some offroading, I'm new to the area.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:39 PM

Yeah, tell me too! . There is Disney, OK and that is pretty cool. That's all I know of, though. I'm pretty new to this part of the state.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

well i got a buddy with land in sallisaw that i 4 wheel on, hes a toyota nut too, owns an 85 and 86 4runner. lets all get together!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

OK, southern MO, eastern AR meet? GO HERE: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...813#post442813

Last edited by colsoncj; 11-03-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:23 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Nathan.....is the locker still working? Reason I ask is that I just finished installing some gears in a carrier that was pre-loaded with a fresh Aussie and the guy forgot to transfer over the 2 thrust washers from the original open diff stuff. See pic #6 in this link http://zukaz.tripod.com/bob.htm
Old 11-29-2004, 05:52 AM

Mine is still working great. I remembered the thrust washers. That's not cool you got the carrier without the washers, hehe. Good thing you caught it; that could have been bad.