Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here have the lower first gear out of a turbo 4 runner in their 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here have the lower first gear out of a turbo 4 runner in their 5 speed?

I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone out there who had replaced the first gear of their 5 speed R150F with the lower first gear from a turbo 4runner tranny, the R151F. I know Marlin crawler has it on their website, they say its 13% lower than the regular first gear (4.31 vs. 3.83). If any of you guys have it does it make a noticable difference while climbing hills? Are you happy with it? Does it negatively affect how the truck drives on road?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have one, but can relay some thoughts based on my experience with dual cases and lower gears.

While I think it would help a lot offroad, the gap 1 -2 is pretty big already, the lower first gear might be a problem if you had to downshift going downhill.

I think it would make 1st gear amost worthless on the road, because my the time you got moving, you would be tached out.

In the end, I think it's quite a bit of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

What I would like is a lower 4th gear, as there isn't much difference from 5th to 4th, but a big difference 4th to 3rd...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by tc
I don't have one, but can relay some thoughts based on my experience with dual cases and lower gears.

While I think it would help a lot offroad, the gap 1 -2 is pretty big already, the lower first gear might be a problem if you had to downshift going downhill.

I think it would make 1st gear amost worthless on the road, because my the time you got moving, you would be tached out.

In the end, I think it's quite a bit of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

What I would like is a lower 4th gear, as there isn't much difference from 5th to 4th, but a big difference 4th to 3rd...
I agree, while it might make a stock T-case seem lower in 4Lo and be nice off-road, I think it might be a little too low for street driving. Odd that they put a lower first gear in Turbo trucks seeing as they have more grunt. maybe it was just because the turbo laged too much, dunno...

Coming from the VW world, I was real used to swaping out gear's for better spreads (GTI Close Ratio Box With a Diesel 5th gear in a 202hp MKII YEEHAWWWWW!!!), but I haven't seen people doing it with these trucks. 3rd to 4th feels like you jumped 2 gears to me, so personaly i'd like to have a tighter spread between 1-4 and than a Tall OD 5th for flat H-way cruising.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 AM

first of all, all turbo 4runners were automatics, only the pickups had 5spd turbos

second, yes, it is to help overcome the turbo lag. the stock low compression results in a lack of low end torque

between my turbo pickup and my stock 4runner, there isnt much different in the first gears. i have an aftermarket turbo on the pickup though and it spools much faster than stock so first gear is literally useless in the rain or snow.