Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add transfer case to 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add transfer case to 2wd?

ok guys, please dont laugh too hard when u read this. but as you know ive got a 2wd runner, and i was wondering if it would be possible to add a transfer case to my existing setup. this would give me a 2 lo, and make me more capable off road. obviously not as good as 4wd, but still one step closer. also, in time, when time and money permits, i would like to SAS it (many years from now). let me know if you would think this is capable or even somewhat worth it. please dont tell me to go buy a 4x4 that wont happen
so let me know what u guys think

-Casey
Old 05-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

It is VERY possible. You will need the 4WD transmission as well as the transfer case.

What you could even do is get a 4WD Tacoma or 3rd Gen 4Runner transmission, the front adapter for the MC09 and an older gear driven transfer case. Then you would be all set for a Toyota axle SAS.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

thats what i was thinking, i really dont think it would be all that hard to do, maybe a little expensive, but i guess its all relative. i think just building it up in steps would be my best bet. that way i could save up to make it ultimate

-Casey
Old 05-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

W59, 26 spline > Front MC09 adapter, 26 to 23 spline coupler > Front 4.7 gear reduction box 23 spline > Rear complete transfer case 23 spline with passenger side drop.

Mount up a 84-85 Toyota front axle. No Jeep parts.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3
No Jeep parts.
NEVER!
Old 05-28-2003, 10:00 PM

Mount up a 84-85 Toyota front axle. No Jeep parts.
This is a terrible idea. That would make your rear axle almost 5 inches wider than your new front.

What would be pretty pimp if you absolutely had to go toyota is an FJ-80 front axle, that would give you the width and a little extra.

Either way, putting in a passenger side output case is a PITA because of your exhaust. Think custom headers, new exhaust hangers, custom exhaust.

A 44 is a great axle and was put under way more things then Jeeps. Just the one that would fit your truck the best comes under a Jeep. You could also get one out of a Scout if it would make you feel better. CTMs joints and alloy shafts available. No birfs.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:44 PM

If all you want for now is the low range, it'd probably be easier to get an underdrive or crawler. Not sure where or how much, but I'm sure it's cheaper new than a salvaged trans and case.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
This is a terrible idea. That would make your rear axle almost 5 inches wider than your new front.
All Pro off road has spacers for this. Makes the 84-85 the same length. Personally I think the Dana44 is a terrible idea.

Ronn Erikson and his ban of Tacoma SAS people break axle shafts, lockers & hubs EVERY time they go out with 35" tires on mild trails. The Built to Grind rock crawlers rarely break on much harder trails with 40's and Toyota axles. The IFS Tacomas ran Axle Alley with no breakage, 2 of the 3 Dana44 Tacomas gernaded. Could be the driver though.

You have a Toyota not a Heep. Just as my Marlin Crawler install is super clean and looks factory. The Coil spring 5-link drivers side drop Toyota axle will as well.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Either way, putting in a passenger side output case is a PITA because of your exhaust. Think custom headers, new exhaust hangers, custom exhaust.
The boy has a 4Banger, no problem at all.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:27 AM

The boy has a 4Banger, no problem at all.
I am not fimilar with the 4 banger setup, but I would think they still output to the same side. If this is the case, sure, it would be easier than doing the same stuff with the 6, but you still have to do everything I said, the custom headers part would be just a bit easier...
Old 05-29-2003, 07:39 AM

All Pro off road has spacers for this. Makes the 84-85 the same length.
No they don't, I just looked at their page. They make spacers to get an 85 and earlier axle close to the same length as a 86-95 rear, just like everyone else. Their largest spacers would still leave you about 1.5" short of the mark. I would prefer not to run huge spacers off a steering axle. It is harder on the king pins, the knuckles and the wheel bearings, not to mention offsets the wheel more when they are turned.

Ronn Erikson and his ban of Tacoma SAS people break axle shafts, lockers & hubs EVERY time they go out with 35" tires on mild trails. The Built to Grind rock crawlers rarely break on much harder trails with 40's and Toyota axles. The IFS Tacomas ran Axle Alley with no breakage, 2 of the 3 Dana44 Tacomas gernaded. Could be the driver though.
If this is true there could be many different reasons for it, like harder lines and more abusive driving. One thing is for sure, they need to upgrade if they are breaking so much. Lance ran 40s on his 44 and managed to break a knuckle before a shaft with Warns and CTMs...

You have a Toyota not a Heep. Just as my Marlin Crawler install is super clean and looks factory. The Coil spring 5-link drivers side drop Toyota axle will as well.
Huh? Considering toyota never made a 5 link front or a driver's side drop axle, you would have to be smoking crack to think that looks factory...

Last edited by 44Runner; 05-29-2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd think it would be easier and probably the same amount of money to just buy a 4wd. It looks like most of your mods can just be swapped over.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
I'd think it would be easier and probably the same amount of money to just buy a 4wd. It looks like most of your mods can just be swapped over.
I agree. Just save the cash and buy a true trail rig. Something that you can bash up.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:36 PM

If i was converting to 4WD I'd go the different route.
I would go ahead and hang the axle, you could probably do that under 1000 bucks since you just want it hung. Then later when you get more money I'd do 4WD tranny and add a tcase. Then you can save more than add your driveshafts, gears etc. Just hanging a axle you will just need IFS steering box, hysteer, leafs, axle and hanger. But thats just what I would do.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

well very good points brought up here... so thanx for all the input!
for right now, this is merely a hypothetical type question. i wouldnt do this until my runner was my secondary vehicle. so by that time i will hopefully have everything all figured out.

Eric, that would probably be the best way of doing it but like i said, IF this happens at all, it wont be until i have a 2nd vehicle. but i guess maybe by that time i would be able to just save up all i need and do it all in one fell swoop
or maybe just pick up something else? who knows, this is just hypothetical, but definitely some good replies here, so keep it going if u guys have any more good input

-Casey

Last edited by casey; 05-29-2003 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Banned

Sounds like a nightmare to me. My suggestion would be to do what you told us not to tell you to do, Sell it and buy a factory 4x4.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by jx94148
Sounds like a nightmare to me. My suggestion would be to do what you told us not to tell you to do, Sell it and buy a factory 4x4.
Not at all if his final goal is a SAS. If he wants factory IFS, then you are 100% correct...
Old 05-29-2003, 10:23 PM

2wd is nice for gas mileage and performance....if you really want a trail rig save up and get an older solid axle or FJ.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

I still think he has a great start on a Toy axle SAS. Why intentonally buy an IFS truck when you already have one?

He is missing the all the stuff people sell. Just buy an axle transfer case and be done with it.

Now on the other hand, if he thinks he is going to "pay" someone to do the swap. They trading in for a 4WD 4Runner makes sence. If you know someone like Mark Mason or Zags like I do. I'd swap it.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Banned

Not at all if his final goal is a SAS. If he wants factory IFS, then you are 100% correct...
How about sell it and buy an '84-'85 and hang a 90-95 gen body if you demand 4 doors.

Quick Reply: Add transfer case to 2wd?