Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Drivetrain/Body Lift + New Crossmembers = ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
One advantage of raising the drivetrain to match the body lift is it is like there was no body lift at all. Why? The transmission and t-case are just as close to the floor of the body as they were stock. The engine (and fan) are lined up with the radiator (mounted to the body). The only thing you need to raise is the front bumper with brackets:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...tBumperBracket

The rear bumper is attached to the body and raises "for free". You also have to extend the steering shaft on some vehicles.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as always thank you again 4crawler. forgive all the questions though i'm just making sure I have all my bases covered before i do this .
Old 10-08-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lone4runner
as always thank you again 4crawler. forgive all the questions though i'm just making sure I have all my bases covered before i do this .
Roger's the pioneer of this, in my opinion. I bought everything from him, and I was set. I wouldn't bother attempting to clock the engine/tranny/transfer case, because then you're going to have to fix the angles for the shifters. Plus, on a 3rd gen I doubt you'll get the height you need to clear the bottom of the frame rails.

But, I'm also not scared of running a 3" body lift like some people are. In fact, if I were looking for a moderate 3" lift, I'd do a 3" drivetrain/body lift and flatten the undercarriage, which is almost equivalent to going up in tire size like 8-9" without the extra height.

Chris
Old 10-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
Roger's the pioneer of this, in my opinion. I bought everything from him, and I was set. I wouldn't bother attempting to clock the engine/tranny/transfer case, because then you're going to have to fix the angles for the shifters. Plus, on a 3rd gen I doubt you'll get the height you need to clear the bottom of the frame rails.

But, I'm also not scared of running a 3" body lift like some people are. In fact, if I were looking for a moderate 3" lift, I'd do a 3" drivetrain/body lift and flatten the undercarriage, which is almost equivalent to going up in tire size like 8-9" without the extra height.

Chris
sorry what do you mean by clock? are you recomending a 3"BL or and go with a engine/tranny/transfer case lift? or are you stating that I should bother w/ engine/tranny/transfer case lift?
Old 10-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Clocking the t-case refers to rotating transfer case so that the FWD output does not hang down so low. Takes a special adapter to do that, plus since the shifter comes out of the top of that part of the case, it rotates over to the side, meaning that you need to modify the shifters to come back out of the hole in the floor.

Can't really take credit for the drivetrain lift idea. Saw the 4Runner that Drew Persson built with a 3" DT lift (all custom built) and it was sweet. Pretty much stock IFS but 3" body lift and 33s and that thing would go over everything. Drew did everything welded in place, cutting out the old motor mounts and fabbing up raised brackets, etc. He said it was so much work he would never do it again. Looking at it, it seemed like it could be done as a bolt-on install, so I designed the spacers and did it on my '85 after swapping out the 1" for a 3" body lift. Now there are a number of crossmember vendors that offer raised versions, it makes things very easy to do. Probably one of the best improvements I did to my truck. Really comes in handy when you are the only truck on 33s on a trail with folks running 35s, 37s and bigger. Between that and shaving an inch off the bottom of the axles, it can make up for many inches of tire size.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

chris any more pictures of what your truck looks like now. I've seen alot of 3rd gens w/ a 1"-1.5"" BL's just curious how your wheels look on the truck w/ a 3rd gen

btw thanks again 4 crawler
Old 10-09-2005, 06:19 AM

I'll second that! Thanks Roger! If Roger hadn't made the kit available, though, I would have probably never did it.

Chris
Old 10-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Old 10-09-2005, 03:21 PM

I'll try to take some for you today, but it's raining, so it's got to be garage pics.

Chris
Old 10-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

thanks
Old 10-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravencr
Thanks Will! Did you ever pursue that Mustang Gas Tank idea? If so, I'd love to here more about it. Email me: chrisrademacher@fastmail.fm

Will, are you guys planning to come out this direction as we talked about in the past, briefly? If so, you and Mike and whoever else has a place to stay if you need it.

Chris
I am going to do the mustang tank and I do have all the parts for it, but I have been so busy lately with other things that I havent even messed with it.
Hopefully I will get to it in the next few months.
We are still planning to come out there, just havent nailed down a time frame yet! Thanks for the offer i'm sure we will be taking you up on that..
Old 10-09-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by seaflea
I am going to do the mustang tank and I do have all the parts for it, but I have been so busy lately with other things that I havent even messed with it.
Hopefully I will get to it in the next few months.
We are still planning to come out there, just havent nailed down a time frame yet! Thanks for the offer i'm sure we will be taking you up on that..
You're more than welcome!

Chris
Old 10-10-2005, 05:16 PM

I can't get the pics to come out of the undercarriage, because it looks all black. Sorry guys! If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Chris
Old 10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

chris do you any pics of what your truck looks like overall. like to see if there are any major gap areas and how the body looks up so high.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:45 AM

chris do you any pics of what your truck looks like overall. like to see if there are any major gap areas and how the body looks up so high.
I won't promise anything for a while, because I'm going to be so busy with work, but yes, I have plenty of pictures of my trucks with the 3" body lift. I haven't put on the gap covers yet, so yes there's a gap in the rear fenderwell, but upfront you can't notice, really.

Can you give me a while?

Chris
Old 10-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

no problem take your time I was just curious sorry if i sound pushy
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 AM

no problem take your time I was just curious sorry if i sound pushy
Oh, not at all. I'm just busy as hell, but I'll do my best. No worries at all!

Chris
Old 10-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Can't wait to see the pics. I want a flat belly.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:07 PM

Your first step is to buy the stuff from Roger, then, the most obvious step is to custom fab your front crossmember using the tubing I mentioned above. Then, it's time to move the tank and custom fab the rearmost crossmember.

If you have specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll be more than happy to get the pictures eventually.

Chris

Last edited by ravencr; 10-11-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:08 PM

Here's the pics of the undercarriage & gas tank!

Guys, sorry about the last post, but here's as many pictures as I could come up with for you:

More on the next post!

Quick Reply: 3" Drivetrain/Body Lift + New Crossmembers = ...