Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 T4R - which OME suspension kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 T4R - which OME suspension kit?

I have a 2000 4Runner 4x4, and I'm looking to raise it up. I'm pretty set on an OME suspension (springs + shocks), but I don't know which set to get. I was looking at them on the following link:

http://www.toyotaoffroadparts.com/OL...E_lift_kit.htm

With 3 options: light, medium, and heavy, what does one base the criteria on? I don't really know if I'll end up with a front bumper (haven't decided), and I have no idea if I'll be towing anything in the future. I would like to someday have a trailer to haul a racecar on, but that's way down the road, if at all.

For just daily driving (with wife & baby), the occasional trail/excursion, and the occasional haul, should I go with a medium, as sort of a compromise between the three types?

Or should I get the heavy suspension, assuming that I won't stop modding the truck?

Is the heavy suspension going to knock my fillings out?

Will my baby's brains turn to mush and leak out of his ears?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a total n00b to off-roading. There is so much to learn!

Al
Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 AM

also, is this accurate?

WARNING –– 1996-02 4 RUNNER LIFTING LIMITATIONS
Toyota sold you a 4 Runner with Automatic Differential Disconnect (ADD) - shame on them! These vehicles are limited to approximately 2” of suspension lift. These vehicles do not have manual unlocking hubs, consequently the front axles and CV joints spin 100% of the time the vehicle is in motion. Beyond 2” of lift would put the CV joints on sufficient angle to buzz you out of the cab at highway speeds (not a problem in off road terrain where the speeds are very slow and/or the CV joints are constantly changing angle). Unfortunately, your only remedy is Downeys new manual hub conversion kit.
Taken from http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...ents/index.htm
Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Hi there.... you sure have a purdy mouf!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 AM

For Pete's sake, I can't take you anywhere, D.

Last edited by Reverend; 07-10-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:54 AM

double/triple post.. wtf?

Last edited by Reverend; 07-10-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 AM

I can't really tell you about 4 runners. I have a 2" lift coil in the rear and what's supposed to be 2.5" lift in the front with the light racing coils. I can go to 3" which i think i will once i get the swampers.. but the fj axles are installed at what seems like a negative angle... when you look at a stock fj cv it looks like it needs the vehicle to be raised some for there not to be a flex in the cv joint. so lifting the fj up 3" is not a big concern for the fj crowd.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the light set-up on my 2001, and find it plenty stiff enough, although I don't have a heavy bumper and don't tow. The rear is actually a bit stiff when empty, but feels fine with a few hundred pounds of gear. If and when I get a bumper and/or winch I'll probably just swap out the front springs.

As for the cv joints I have a 1" diff drop in mine and have no problems, the total lift on the front is 2.75".
http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_ta...diff_drop.html
Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
I have the light set-up on my 2001, and find it plenty stiff enough, although I don't have a heavy bumper and don't tow. The rear is actually a bit stiff when empty, but feels fine with a few hundred pounds of gear. If and when I get a bumper and/or winch I'll probably just swap out the front springs.

As for the cv joints I have a 1" diff drop in mine and have no problems, the total lift on the front is 2.75".
http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_ta...diff_drop.html
So you went with a 3" suspension lift, and after it settled, you got a total of 2.75" of lift? Did I read that correctly?

Also, if anyone knows of where the best place to get the setup would be, that would be helpful as well (price, service, etc).

Thanks,
Al
Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

A little cheaper

http://sleeoffroad.com/products/4runner_suspension.htm
Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 AM

Reverend,

I too have a 2000 4Runner and have been running the heavy duty OME setup for a little over a year now and am very pleased with the results. The ride is definately a little stiffer but still has a great ride! I even have BFG AT's and there really isn't much road noise. I sprung for the heavy duty setup for the simple fact that I tow a boat and since the OME was installed I virtually have no rear sagging when in tow.

If you are set on OME, I would spring for the HD setup (as you had mentioned....it could prove to be beneficial in the long run if you plan to continue your mods)

Here is where I purchased mine from:

www.wheelersoffroad.com
Old 07-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Geographeen
Reverend,

I too have a 2000 4Runner and have been running the heavy duty OME setup for a little over a year now and am very pleased with the results. The ride is definately a little stiffer but still has a great ride! I even have BFG AT's and there really isn't much road noise. I sprung for the heavy duty setup for the simple fact that I tow a boat and since the OME was installed I virtually have no rear sagging when in tow.

If you are set on OME, I would spring for the HD setup (as you had mentioned....it could prove to be beneficial in the long run if you plan to continue your mods)

Here is where I purchased mine from:

www.wheelersoffroad.com
How much of a lift did you get from it?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend
How much of a lift did you get from it?
Like Eric-The-Red, it settled just a tad, but its just under 3". Somewhere more around 2.85 to 2.90"

I plan on adding a 4crawler 1" BL to replace my 265's w/ 285's.

Also, in regards to the price, I had my OME setup shipped to my door for just under $730.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Wheelers offroad is where i got my sack of ▓▓▓▓ steel wheels from that they will not take back and have been feeding me and a local shop ▓▓▓▓ for for the last 2 months.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dmitry
Wheelers offroad is where i got my sack of ???? steel wheels from that they will not take back and have been feeding me and a local shop ???? for for the last 2 months.
Dmitry, sorry to hear about your experience with Wheelers. I had a completely smooth turnout on the contrary. How long had you had your steel wheels before deciding to send them back?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So you went with a 3" suspension lift, and after it settled, you got a total of 2.75" of lift? Did I read that correctly?

Also, if anyone knows of where the best place to get the setup would be, that would be helpful as well (price, service, etc).

Thanks,
Al
The initial lift was 2.75", installed in Nov 05. I haven't measured it since. I got mine from strap22 on here, can't remember the price but that was almost 2 years ago anyway.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...s4u-com-49122/
Old 07-12-2007, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Geographeen
Dmitry, sorry to hear about your experience with Wheelers. I had a completely smooth turnout on the contrary. How long had you had your steel wheels before deciding to send them back?
The wheels he bought had lug holes which were drilled off-center, making the wheel impossible to balance. It probably took a month before we realized what the issue actually was, after aligning the car several times, balancing the wheels several times, and trying to diagnose if it was a suspension component issue.

Wheelers doesn't want to take the wheels back because they're out of production models. IMO, that shouldn't matter. They're defective, and they should be returned. I don't think its fair to the customer to refuse to refund the money on a defective product.

I don't blame him for being upset about it. I would be too.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 AM

I don't blame him for being upset about it. I would be too.
Likewise! How frustrating!!! Well that will probably give me enough insight as to look elsewhere before I deal w/ them again.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:08 AM

I have the medium duty OME spring and rancho shocks... works great. ride is better than stock and no sagging if I'm towing. I run 285s with a little rubbing on the chassis with full steering lock (wont hurt anything).
Old 07-12-2007, 06:34 AM

Ok, I want to stuff some 285/75's under the fenders.

Currently, I'm looking at the 3" OME spring set from Toytec, along with the OME struts and diff drop. I would presume that 285's should fit under there with 3" of lift, or would I need to get the additional 1" of body lift as well?

Am I missing any essential components for this project?

I just want to be sure before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,

Al
Old 07-12-2007, 06:49 AM

I too want to go with the 1" BL ontop of my OME lift. As far as I've heard from members here, you will still have some rubbing w/ 285's with the OME. Spacers are also an option to move your tires away from your upper arms, etc. I've been contemplating the best way to get 285's in there as well, w/ minimal rubbing.

Quick Reply: 2000 T4R - which OME suspension kit?