99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

New Tundra owner here

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, I just had a KLX taht I got rid of, best place to ride is up by Titusville, which is like 40 mins for me, so like almost 2hours for you

I was down in Vero, and I have access to Avon Park - seasonal as I'm a 920th Reservist soooo, will see when they aren't doing bombing runs and see if we can go tear up some trails.

When are you levaing for alaska?

I just sold my 650 enduro back in November, wish I would have know you had that haha.

The place up by titusville is Coconut Groves or Canaveral Groves, it's wide open and tons of riding, not much off camber stuff but some fun ruts non the less,

If I were you I would do a small lift - think revtek or toyotech and then a AAL in the rear and go with at LEAST 285's man, I ran 305's on my T and it looks Tit's man.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 PM

Out of curiousity, what's your name, Mine is Trevor - your name caught my eye when I was going through new post haha
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the name is Trevor, pretty weird coincidence since I've rarely heard of another Trevor. Much less a Florida Toyota fan named Trevor. Just ordered the Bilsteins, may try to install those this weekend if they arrive in time. Interested in some wrench time in the driveway?

I have decided not to move to Alaska, there is a company called Amerflight that I have always wanted to fly for, and they are hiring a couple pilots a month all year, so I am hoping to get on with them. Would have to move to Oakland at first, but they also have a base in Phoenix so am hoping I could move back to Phoenix sooner than later.

I was going to go with 255 85 16s but I just don't think I like the look of them that narrow. That and I'm not really in love with any of the tread patterns available. I may be going for the 285s, will have to see if the new Dunlop Rover Maxx traction is available in that size. Had been planning on getting them in 265 75 16 but have decided to just do it right the first time.

I'm not going to lift the rear end if I can avoid it, running a dirtbike up my ramp into the bed is already wicked steep, trying not to make it impossible. Also I dig the Baja look so if the front sits a bit higher that's ok. Measuring the fender gap I need a 2 inch lift up front to make it level. So I'll set the bilsteins for the max 2 inches of lift.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 AM

Actually I don't have my kids this weekend and I'm headed down to Pompano Beach or the one close to Miami to look at a Car for a buddy that's buying it and closing the deal on him so I might have to stop through.

Here's my number 850-855-87 five two did that so it doesn't just get picked up - Names Trevor and liek I said, headed down on Sat to finish the deal on a 04 Terminator Cobra with tons done for a buddy in Ohio.

Was gonig to drive my car down but might bring the runner now instead, car is WAY better on gas though - imagine that supercharged - 6 speed - and 26mpg on the highway compared to my Runner at 11.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 PM

May have to try to talk you into letting me mount up your wheels and tires to see how they fit, I want black rims and maybe that size would be best.

Avon Park would be awesome, might just roll with you and split the costs until I get something with some bite under my truck.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Put this little guy in here about 2 weeks ago. Anyone else have one that makes sort of a little whistling noise at just off idle? I figure it is the rush of air through the small opening in the throttle body but maybe I have a leak somewhere?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Nope they always whistle man, and sound good as hell under throttle
Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM

I had one on my 4 banger Honda and it didn't make the whistle, or I guess it was just not enough volume of air to make a loud enough whistle for me to notice. Honestly the intake whistle was a factor in me cutting the exhaust off.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 AM

Nah, most honda's are Speed density, until Very recently they didn't have MAF's or any type of metering for the Air coming in, the MAF on our trucks sucks air through it and makes a whistling sound when it's headed in, does it even louder on Mustangs Of course mine on my stang is switched out ,and you couldn't hear it over the whistle of my blower anyway, my old 3.slow makes a nice loud noise as well, but definately not a whistle

If I take the 4Runner down you can throw a tire and rim on man - Looks like i'm headed all the way to Boca, which I was initially told I was going to Port St Lucie so kinda pissed about that - whatever, just helping a freind out but that's easily twice as far for me one way now
Old 03-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Well don't beat yourself up on the fuel on my account. Definitely stop by on the way down though, let me know details as the weekend comes closer.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM

haha, has nothing to do with you on that aspect, it's all my buddy in Ohio.

In other news ,called on a 06 Double Cab Tundra today, has just over 100k on the 4.7 4x4 and is only 11, so I'm thinking about getting rid of the runner and getting in that as I've been wanting a truck badly lately, and something to drive cross country in where my Runner can't do that unless I do this engine swap and I'm low as crap on time nowadays
Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM

No way man I paid 10 for mine with 100k on it! Would love a double cab with real doors and the power rear window! Hard as hell to find a 4wd Tundra in FL too!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM

I don't notice any whistle on my K&N. The only complaint I have is the support bracket from the tube to the head broke at the bolt in the head. I welded it up and turned it around so you couldn't see the repair. The other day I noticed the other end broke. It must hit against the heat shield. This time I am going to replace the whole thing with something like 3/16 or 1/4" steel bent into shape. Probably could use a little longer bolt with a 1/4" bracket and a little clearance work on the heat shield. The motor mounts look OK so I think the motor just moves alot under hard throttle, I do that sometimes, it sounds so sweet at WOT. The VVT noise is different from other V-8's I've had but I like it. I got my polished K&N for free. I found a guy on craigslist that wanted to trade for a stock intake. He bought his truck with it on and didn't like the extra noise. Gave me the airaid throttle body spacer too. Saved me $400 or so.

Last edited by wonshot1; 03-24-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM

2005 Tundra, K&N intake, Muffler delete exhaust, 2.5" leveler kit.

Last edited by wonshot1; 03-24-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 PM

Glad i stopped by man, that was a freaking blast, and that little hill was freaking STEEP, Runner made me proud

Wonshot, looks good as hell man, what's that white stuff;-)

Can't wait for you to get those tires in and the Bilsteins for the front Will come down after that and hit those trails again, we can park yours and do the hairy stuff in mine again, with a camera during the day
Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 AM

Installed...tires rub the upper control arm, ordered some 1/4 inch spacer that will hopefully take care of the problem

Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 AM

Wow, it really is a lap pool down there, amazing the hour drive south make that much difference in the waves - glad I moved here

Looks good, fro mthe front it looks like a AAL would work perfect, not to mention you tow a trailer so I think it will look good, let me see those treadwrights up closer man.

As for rubbing, i just looked at the clerance, and then I grinded down my upper A-arm a bit and I have never rubbed again, how about the Pinch welds in the front, you hit at full lock?

my parents are in town visiting so won't be able to come down that way till Next weekend at least.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:15 PM

No trouble with the pinchweld, just the upper control arm. I ordered some 1/4 inch spacers, will put those on and see what happens. I might take a grinder to the UCA if it needs just a bit more, but the ball joint angle looks terrible so i may have to go with some Camburg uniball arms afterall.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 PM

Wonshot, looks nice, I dig the rims.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Trevorkian
No trouble with the pinchweld, just the upper control arm. I ordered some 1/4 inch spacers, will put those on and see what happens. I might take a grinder to the UCA if it needs just a bit more, but the ball joint angle looks terrible so i may have to go with some Camburg uniball arms afterall.

See if 4Crawler has a diff drop for you before you do the upper control arms, tht would take care of the cv joint issue.

I have a new diff drop enroute for mine

Quick Reply: New Tundra owner here