Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Help! I messed up my tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I messed up my tranny...

Hello all, this is my first post here. I recently bought a '96 fzj80.

This exact same post is on IH8MUD as well. I just joined there too.

I'm not a complete novice as far as mechanical things go, but I'm not the best, obviously, since, like a bonehead, I've messed up my tranny and can't figure it out.

Anyway, this is long. Sorry.

I went to change the transmission fluid out, so I drained it, took off the pan, and the filter. Well, I saw that there seemed to be alot of fluid on top of the valve body, so I took it off to drain that old fluid too. That was my first mistake.

So, a check ball connected to a plastic clip looking thing with an internal spring came out, a spring with a smaller stiffer spring inside of it came out, and the middle accumulator (I think is what it is) came out. They all fell out when I took the valve body off.

Idiot! Only now do I realize this.

So, I held the valve body up, put everything back where I think it went (and I followed the pictures from this link: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...o-swap-150243/) and screwed it back in. Put the filter on, put some new gasket maker on the pan, and put it back on.

Now, time for the 2nd mistake.

If Dexron 2 is what came in it, ATF+4 Valvoline synthetic should be better, right? Hey, I've never had an automatic tranny before, and I always ran synthetics of thicker weight in my manual trannies, except for one. So please take it easy on me. Yes, I'm an idiot.

So, I get that all done, fire it up, put it in gear, and......nothing. I give it gas and it jerks. It felt like it was slipping, trying to engage, but having a really hard time doing so.

So, this probably was a third mistake. I bleed out the old fluid myself by disconnecting the hose going to the tranny fluid cooler in front of the radiator. Put in some standard issue Castrol Dexron 3.

Still did the same thing.

Today, I got the bright idea from the previous website I linked to, that maybe it was the line pressure. Maybe, when I took the valve body off, I tweaked the throttle position cable? So, I took off the throttle position cable from the engine side, pulled it out to WOT and clamped it. It drove AWESOME. Slightly clunked into reverse when cold, but once at operating temp, it shifted extremely crisp, and downshifted at my slightest whim. Somewhat aggresive, but very nice.

Fourth mistake, apparently.

Anyway, thinking I was victorious, I pulied into the garage and turned it off. I cleaned up, and 10 minutes later, I went to drive it again. Victorious? HA!

Now, when I put it into reverse, it goes nowhere, does nothing. Rev it, no engagement. It doesn't even try to engage. I can't roll it backward in neutral either. Seems like I should be able to. Also, there is this hissing-or-buzzing-like sound coming from the bottom or sides of the tranny when in park, reverse, and drive; it goes away in neutral. When it's in drive, and I let off the brake pedal, it will roll forward on it's own, as normal. I haven't really driven it though, as I can't back it out of my garage.

Shifting into low range doesn't do anything for it either. I don't know if it even should, I was just trying everything I could think of.

So yes, I'm an idiot and I shouldn't have even touched it. Please don't grill me too hard. I was just trying to do some PM, and have everything on a baseline for my duration of ownership.

The few times I've gotten to drive this thing have been a blast! I love it!!!

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this dude needs help that i cant give him.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump....someone help him...I only have a 1993 3.0v4 auto tranny fresh build...for sale like 5k miles on it any one help this guy
Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to break it to ya Bud but I think it's time to head to the local tranny shop.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow man.. i fell your pain...
might be easyier just to get a junkyard tranny and swap it