Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Texas_Ace's 200 4Runner Build up Stage-2! The Supercharger Adventure Begins!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt_goat
See if you can use this BR3 software with it:
http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html
It looks like that only works with there hardware box, too bad looks pretty nice.

I am looking at some other software, if anyone knows of some good stuff let me know.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, after looking around i have come up with Proscan 5 and PCMscan 2 as 2 OBD software packages that look good.

I was looking through some of the info they pulled from my truck and had a few questions.

1: The MAF sensor is not showing anything if i am looking at the right sensor. Is that normal to not see anything from the MAF?

2: Anyone ever tried one of these OBD so called "dynos"? I know it would not be acturate but would the curve be about the same? Both of these programs have this feature and i am thinking about giving it a try, though it will kill my MPG testing i am doing.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

this is turning into a blog, lol.

Ok, today i got a c all back from magnuson and they had looked at my Supercharger. Turns out the Nose bearing is bad (DUH) and they said it is only a little more for the rear bearing as well so i am going to have them do all of the bearings for me. The rotors are in good condition they said and if i am not getting enough boost then they can do that later (which is good for my wallet).

So i should get it back late next week if everything goes well and i am only out $300 for the rebuild.

So that brings the total for the SC to $625, not bad.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Excellent!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Excellent!
I think so, though i now have another possible project that i might get. I just stumbled across (litterally) an RX7 for $500 with a bad wiring harness (rats ate it). So i am planning on getting that this weekend and hopfully getting it running for a hundred bucks or so.

Will be nice to have a second car anyways, that way when my truck is being worked on i still have a way to get around.

Now i just have to figure out where to get the $$$ for the URD 7th and i hope to install the SC next weekend if i get it back in time.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Ok another problem that i have been having but never got around to fixing.

I have the dreaded Surging when driving, usually on the highway in 3rd gear (auto tranny). RPM's will go up and down by a few hundred.

When i pluged in the OBD reader i noticed that it showed my TPS as sitting at about 15% when i had my foot off the gas and would only open to about 75% when i had it to the floor.

I am woundering if this might be the problem? Is that normal?
Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just have to say that I cant wait to see it on , hear it!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4phil
just have to say that I cant wait to see it on , hear it!!!
You are telling me, i am having to just sit around the house with all the parts EXCEPT the supercharger ready to install. This waiting thing is a PAIN!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, need help figuring out what this is:

In Red: What the heck is that? Whats it do and where does it go?? I don't have a clue. Was just looking over all the parts the other day and could not see what it did.

In Blue: is that a dynamic Tensioner? Doesn't look like a normal one to me. Maybe i got a better deal then i thought.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

In blue, yes that's a dynamic tensioner. In red...hummmm... looks like some kind of aftermarket fuel pressure regulator to me.
Look here:
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=114795

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-18-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM

looks like a Boost selinoid to me or like mt goat said, something with the fuel
but im pretty sure it looks like something for boost/blow off valve

Looks like the same type of blow off valves i ran on my saab
Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Look near the end of this link, on second thought, read the whole thing:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Fuel.htm

Some of the important points:

TRD includes, or at least did, a Fuel Management Unit (FMU). In theory what this thing does is increases fuel pressure under boost to cause more fuel to flow from the injectors.
TRD has deleted the FMU from the newer supercharger kits. We have been told that this was done to eliminate pinging on the 98 and later models. From my testing and the very high EGTs even when using the FMU, the thought of running the supercharger without an FMU is real scary at best. I wish TRD would replace the erratic FMU with a more stable and consistent one instead of just getting rid of it.
Free FMU:

While testing the Cartech FMU and the TRD Fuel pressure regulator I decided to see if I could run my 305cc injectors without an FMU stumbled across something. I removed the Cartech FMU and went for a test drive. I was surprised to see that my fuel pressure was increasing when I was in boost at a ratio of 1:1. How can this be?

I checked out my connections and found that I had the stock fuel pressure regulator (FPR) hooked to the boost port. The stock connection is to the main air induction tube which is really nothing more then a vent and gives a constant 43 PSI all the time.

With the FPR hooked to the boost port it will react to boost pressure and increase the fuel pressure under boost at a perfect 1:1 ratio. This offsets the boost pressure differential that I discussed earlier and really does a good job of stabilizing the fuel pressure in relation to manifold or boost pressure. The funny thing is that all the other fuel injected engines I have toyed with has the FPR connected to a port that allows it to read and adjust the fuel pressure in relation to engine load (manifold pressure).

Here is the benefit with the TRD supercharger. Like I explained earlier, as the manifold pressure increases in boost it will restrict fuel flow from the injectors. By reconnecting the FPR to the boost port you prevent this problem and it will give you 6-7 PSI of extra fuel pressure at max boost that you did not have before. Many people with the dreaded pining problem have tried this and it has in some cases eliminated the high gear, low RPM ping. All have reported an improvement.

I do not think for a second that this will be enough to prevent the fuel system from leaning out at max boost, but it will not be as bad.

Give it a try. It is FREE and you can easily switch it back. I have been told that TRD has heard about my little trick and is now recommending it as their own discovery.

I currently have my stock FPR connected to the boost port and I am using the 305 cc injectors.

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-18-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

I'm using the "Free FMU" mod.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Quite interesting, i know i have never seen on of those before. I wounder how it hooks into the fule line if that is what it is.

Plus seeing that quote above i have to wounder if i should use it at all with the 7th on the way?

It seems that even with the 7th more pressure would be good though.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:55 AM

If youre running fuel management i wouldnt run that big hunk of aluminum, it's just another thing to break/malfunciton (theyre not the most reliable things)
Old 06-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
If youre running fuel management i wouldnt run that big hunk of aluminum, it's just another thing to break/malfunciton (theyre not the most reliable things)
Yeah, i will have the URD 7th as soon as it gets here and i get my SC back. so i think you are right, i will just leave it off, i don't have a clue where to put it anyways. lol
Old 06-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Update: got my Supercharger back from Magnuson today and it looks great!

I cleaned the rest of it with break cleaner and it looks good as new minus a few sctraches.

I also ordered the URD 7th the other day and it is supposed to be in tomorrow. So if all goes as planned i will start putting it on this weekend! (unless the RX7 takes my time, which is very possible).

Can't wait!

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 06-26-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM

DROOOOOOOLLLLL..........
sorry I had to clean the drool off my shirt....

I almost had one off craigslist for 1500...but I missed out! dammn
Old 06-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4phil
DROOOOOOOLLLLL..........
sorry I had to clean the drool off my shirt....

I almost had one off craigslist for 1500...but I missed out! dammn
Too bad, that is still a pretty good deal. Though look on ebay, i have seen a few go for less then $1000 in resent months. I don't know why but about 2 months ago there was a sudden influx of Superchargers for sale, thats how i got mine so cheap.

Doesn't seem to be as many now though. Keep looking, you will find one.

Another update:

Got the URD 7th in today!

Looks good and i also decided to go all the way and get the 2.2 pully while i was at it. So i have that too.

They were also able to get me a copy of the very rare Gray SC install manual. If anyone else needs this let me know and i can scan it in.

So i think i finally have all my stuff together to install the SC!

BUT

I also just got this toy today:

For $500 i am pretty happy comsidering that they sell for $1200 without any engine or tranny at all. And it looks like all i need is a new wiring harness to get it running (which i just picked up). So i think i will get it running first so i will have something to drive while i SC my truck.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Well it’s time for a bump of this thread as I get back into the Supercharging fun!

So I spent the last few months working on the RX7 above, it is quite different now and runs GREAT! This last week I finally got some of the last things done on it so I will now have something to drive while I do the supercharger install. Here are a few pictures form yesterday for the heck of it and because I don’t think anyone will complain:

Who can spot the most changes from the above pictures?

So, now back to the 4runner. Since we last spoke it has not seen any mods but has had a few minor things happen. It towed a few cars (the RX7, another RX7, and my MR2) and the brakes are acting a little funny since. ABS light came on again and then went off again before I could check the code. Other then that it is pretty much like it was before.

Still got all the parts laying the garage ready to install. Now just have to see if it is going to rain today to know if I can get started today or not.

Now, I was looking at all the parts I have and there are only a few things I need still.

First are some valve cover gaskets, checked the dealer and they want $50 for them! Anyone know of a cheaper place? I am going to check pepboys later today. I also read that RTV works great, might do that.

Then the tools/know-how of how to check the valve clerances since i will be in there anyways.

I am also looking for a pillar gauge pod for the truck, I can’t find one at all. And I really want a triple pod. Anyone here have a pod that worked?

Reason for needing said pod: I already have 3 gauges below the radio (though I still have yet to mount them proper). Tranny temp, oil pressure and voltage. I will be installing a wideband, boost and then either oil temp or water temp or maybe something else. Either way I need a place for 3 more gauges.

So any ideas?

Also, anything else anyone can think of that I need to buy/do before I start?

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 10-22-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's 200 4Runner Build up Stage-2! The Supercharger Adventure Begins!