Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

You know what I like about Toyota trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know what I like about Toyota trucks?

They don't look like freaking huge, overstyled, underbuilt domestic trucks that brake down under any type of strain or adversity, but they also don't look like wimpy little import trucks, like Nissans or Mazdas (which are just Ford Rangers anyway) that don't look like they have the balls to be climbing over rocks or moving stuff around. I like the "in between" of the Toyota...it's not as wishy-washy as a little Nissan, but it's not as rediculous or wasteful as a Ford or Chevy full size.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

That's what I think everytime I see my truck parked next to and dwarfed by an F150 or an Avalanche
Old 04-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, my little 83 is dwarfed be just about anything short of a sammy, but you know what i like. you park them next to anything else that is stock, and look at the ground clearance difference. the Toy's just sit so much higher.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

And it will last longer than a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by FUGGRWE
And it will last longer than a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.
you mean Ford, Chevy, or Dodge combined, right? LOL
Old 04-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Yes
Old 04-23-2003, 09:25 PM

They just keep going, and going, and going.................
Old 04-24-2003, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the insult on the Nissan :cry:
Old 04-24-2003, 01:10 AM

I'm with EDGE, there's nothing wimpy (looks wise or performance wise) about Nissan trucks. From what I've been able to tell the Frontiers are VERY comparable to Tacomas, and the Xterras are just about equal to 3rd Gen 4Runners (Roughly the same ground clearance, about the same power) and on top of that in my opinion a stock Xterra looks a lot more rugged and tough than a stock 3rd Gen 4Runner (No Offense to 3rd Gen Owners). And on top of that from my experience owning my Xterra and my 4Runner, the Xterra is just as good as a 4Runner (I have a '91 4Runner, and my mom has a '97 4Runner so that's what I'm basing my comparison on).

Just my $.02

-Braden
Old 04-24-2003, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 91Runner
I'm with EDGE, there's nothing wimpy (looks wise or performance wise) about Nissan trucks. From what I've been able to tell the Frontiers are VERY comparable to Tacomas, and the Xterras are just about equal to 3rd Gen 4Runners (Roughly the same ground clearance, about the same power) and on top of that in my opinion a stock Xterra looks a lot more rugged and tough than a stock 3rd Gen 4Runner (No Offense to 3rd Gen Owners). And on top of that from my experience owning my Xterra and my 4Runner, the Xterra is just as good as a 4Runner (I have a '91 4Runner, and my mom has a '97 4Runner so that's what I'm basing my comparison on).

Just my $.02

-Braden
I agree with you. My 2nd choice was a Nissan Xterra. But being the Toyota Nazi that I am, I chose the 4Runner.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by 91Runner

Just my $.02

-Braden

I also completly agree with you, I would also have bought a Xterra but decided on a 4runner b/c I got a deal I could not refuse. But on the other hand my brother bought himself a birthday present the other day and to my surprise it was a '03 Nissan Xterra and mann does it look GOOD!
Old 04-24-2003, 05:17 AM

When I was looking for my new truck I was trying to descide between the Tacoma double cab I ended up getting or a Nissan 4 door. I like Nissan just fine but I was leaning toward the Toyota. What made up my mind to get the Tacoma was when I tried to sit in the Nissan 4 door.

I am not a big guy. I am almost 5'7 and I had to turn my legs sideways to sit in the back seat of the Nissan. I also could barely get in the front seat. The stearing wheel is way to close to the front seat. My legs had to squeeze under the wheel while I was getting into the truck.

Now my Toyota my 6' tall brother can sit in the back seat and his legs just start to hit the front seat. The Toyota has lots more room inside than the Nissan did.

Thats just how I saw the two trucks last month when I was shopping.
Brad
Old 04-24-2003, 07:24 AM

I must say, I've owned Nissan Pathfinders and different Toyota trucks. As far as reliability, Toyota wins. Ruggedness is comparable. But for the money, Toyota wins by far.

Just my experience...
Old 04-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boy, have things changed...... I remember the days when Nissan(Datsun) was a four letter word to a Toyota driver!
Also remember when you waved at every Toyota and they waved back. Not so much anymore.
I have to say that Nissans are good rides and I've owned one but it still isn't a Toyota!
Old 04-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by taco02
When I was looking for my new truck I was trying to descide between the Tacoma double cab I ended up getting or a Nissan 4 door. I like Nissan just fine but I was leaning toward the Toyota. What made up my mind to get the Tacoma was when I tried to sit in the Nissan 4 door.

I am not a big guy. I am almost 5'7 and I had to turn my legs sideways to sit in the back seat of the Nissan. I also could barely get in the front seat. The stearing wheel is way to close to the front seat. My legs had to squeeze under the wheel while I was getting into the truck.

Now my Toyota my 6' tall brother can sit in the back seat and his legs just start to hit the front seat. The Toyota has lots more room inside than the Nissan did.

Thats just how I saw the two trucks last month when I was shopping.
Brad

My roommate has a Frontier Double cab V6 - the Nissan counterpart to the Tacoma - and it looks really cool when we both park in the driveway at the same time. We both park our trucks reverse into the driveway (we heard somewhere it was better to do that w/ a rear-wheel drive). The Frontier actually has higher bed walls than the Tacoma... kinda like Fords, so it seems larger/taller in the back.

Both rigs in the driveway dwarf the garage door

oh, and about the Nissan rear seats...
I'm 5'9 and my knees were digging into the rear of the front seats when I tried it out.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:43 AM

ill be honest here, id take my dads 2003 F-150 supercab 4x4 lariat over my 4runner anyday. Because ill tell you, id lose if i was hit by him in my 4runner. With the work im putting into my 4runner i could make his F-150 as capable as my 4runner off road.

not only that but i have a 22re 2.4 litre he has a 5.4 litre V-8

so yeah.... ill take his Ford anyday
Old 04-24-2003, 09:09 AM

I owned a Nissan Hardbody 4x4. That 3.0 V6 seemed a lot torquier than the 3.0 in the 4Runner although shifting gears in that thing was like rowing gears in a Kenworth. I may be imagining the power difference since the 4Runner is so much heavier. I only got rid of that truck because I didn't have the foresight to buy an x-tra cab and guess what happened after the first kid was born? I've also wondered why you could get a limited slip in the Nissans and Toyota never had one.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:45 AM

Thumbs up

They rule offroad:
A few years ago,
Myself and my brother were up fishing in this lake you had to 4 wheel into he was pulling his boat in there. I could not beleive he made it in stock 87 special edition 4Runner.(Mud tires though)
Well as were up 1 part of this trail a guy came in with his big Z71 Truck pulling his boat we asked him if he needed help cause he was having trouble moving. He said Look you guys can make it in here with that Then I can walk my truck rite through this so does that answer your question. Alwright thought what a jerkoff and we went back up watched as he got stuck then pickled his boat and truck so he had to unhook turn the truck back the way he came and went back. Even when he was unhooked he was having a hard time. After watching that truck in a real offroad situation, Rock with lots of mud. I would NEVER BUY A CHEVY, they really do suck for trails.
Talk to you guys later
Old 04-24-2003, 12:51 PM

I was thinking of the older mini trucks when I ripped on Nissan. I like how their newer Frontiers look, especially with a supercharger.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:12 PM

nissan vs toy?

anyone have a firsthand comparson of the Supercharged Frontiers (factory) vs. a Supercharged (TRD) 4runner!?

What do the numbers say?

Quick Reply: You know what I like about Toyota trucks?