Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Xenon/ Bushwacker Flares comparison revisited- 3rdGen

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenon/ Buswaker Flares comparison revisited- 3rdGen

I posted this over on 4x4 wire from home, but am still having problems posting here from that computer, so here it is (from my office):

There is an old thread or two on this subject, but nothing conclusive, at least as far as 3rd Gens are concerned. To those who know, what ARE the significant diffences between these two brands of flares: looks, function,cost, ease of installation and durability? My understanding is that OEM flares are prohibitively expensive.

For my part, I have a 3rd gen base w/ 4wd, no flares no chrome (except for the snake blinders on my running boards). Long term I would like to lose the running boards, get somewhat bigger tires and add flares,mudflaps and black nerfs or sliders.I like the wider-style flares ( Ltd sized?) because of functionality and looks on 4runners-- the right kind can make a 3rd gen look almost like a smaller FZJ-80 Land Cruiser. Also I think I prefer a matte finish to high gloss black (no offense Corey). Thanks for any info!
Carl
Old 01-30-2003, 12:17 PM

Bad spelling

Whoops- the should be BUSHWACKER Flares in the subject line.
My apologies to any grammar/spelling police....
Old 01-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Xenon/ Buswaker Flares comparison revisited- 3rdGen

Originally posted by Twice-Bought 96
Also I think I prefer a matte finish to high gloss black (no offense Corey). Thanks for any info!
Carl
No offense taken Carl

I don't have the answer, but we need you to format that home PC of yours so you can post from home too
I still can't figure out why it won't let you.
It has to be some weird file on there.

PS, I fixed the spelling in the subject line for you.
You can fix yours in the actuall post if you want by just hitting the edit button on your first post.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

I can't comment on the Xenon flares because I haven't seen them in person. The factory flares are expensive--isn't everything from Toyota? Those will probably be the best fitting and perhaps the easiest to install though.

I have a 2nd Gen, so my options were limited. I went with the Bushwacker textured matte finish because I'm not a big fan of the glossy finish either (again, no offense Corey!). I'm a little disappointed with the finish as it isn't as "matte" as say the new Tacoma flares. They're still a little gloss to them. I can't yet tell you about the installation as it's been too freakin cold to install them, but I know that Corey found them fairly straightforward to install.

Matt
Old 01-30-2003, 12:42 PM

Although I can't give you direct details on Xenons vs. Bushwackers, I do support you in your wanting of the wider ones & matte black ones. My fenders took the brunt of the wooden pole on the last 4x4 trip. It probably saved me from body damage/scratches, which is why I say wider is better. And matte black because they'll probably get scratched up at some point anyway.

But when clean & shiny, the glossy does look sharp, I have to admit.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
A lot of folk's here have been installing them over the past few weeks here on 2nd gens.

Now one advantage to the gloss ones are they act as a mirror, so if you are out camping and forget your shaving mirror, just use the flare.