Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WSave my baby, or buy a new one???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save my baby, or buy a new one???

Hey guys what do you think I should do with this situation on my hands. My 96' is dying(she's got big engine problems, gonna need a new one soon) . I don't own her by a long shot, I still owe somwhere b/w 9,500 and 10,000 on her. My question is, what would you guys do, would you drop a new 3.4 into the 96' or would you go and try to find a 2nd gen for cheaper. Things could go wrong on the 2nd gen too and leave me stranded just as this one has out of the blue. I'm getting prices like 800-1000 bucks for a new rebuilt 3.4 and then the install. Sorry second question, what do you think I will be looking at for the install of a new engine?? Then just et me know, "what would you do?" Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by Stump1883; 04-24-2003 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fix it! If you let that 3.4 go, you'll hate yourself while trying to deal with the power loss of a 2nd gen. Plus most of the mods you've done to it won't be able to carry over to a 2nd gen. I'd get it fixed.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:56 PM

Get it fixed! If you decide to trade it in for a 2nd gen, I would think you would regret it not only the power loss but including all the money you've dropped in your rig. Don't let her die :cry:
Old 04-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Here's the first couple questions.

What's wrong with your engine? Could it be something related to the sludge problem I've heard about? I think Toyota is doing something about that.

Second questions.

How many miles are on your 4runner? How much could you get for it?

Here's what I would do. Go which ever route you will take the smallest loss on. If it is cheaper to put in a new engine, then do that. If it is cheaper to sell your truck and buy a 2nd gen, then do that. If you go for the latter, don't forget to add in TTL.

I can tell you this. If you get into a 2nd gen, you will probably be disappointed. The 3rd gen is much better.

Just my $.02

Good Luck
Old 04-23-2003, 08:00 PM

Either fix it or trade up to a newer one rather than an older one. You already have trouble and buying an older vehicle is likely going to result in more troubles within a short period of time. The cheapest route has to be to fix what you have. If you want to drop more money into a truck, try to find a newer one with low miles.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:24 AM

Fix it, dont let all the money that you invested in your rig go to waste, just shop around first and try to find the best engine for the best price.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:15 AM

Look at it this way..... if you get another rig, just tax and title will be half of what you'll pay for a new engine. Then, when you have your "new" 2nd gen. (huge boo-boo by the way) you then have a rig w/ how many miles???? IF you get lucky, you'll find one w/ 70k on it. OK, you now have a rig w/ 70k... your 3rd gen. will have a NEW engine.
I'd do the replacement engine....... get a good rebuild w/ a good warrantee and be happy!
Old 04-24-2003, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vato Loco
If you decide to trade it in for a 2nd gen, I would think you would regret it not only the power loss but including all the money you've dropped in your rig.
Not to mention that if you trade it in on something else you would be upside down on the loan since, with an engine in bad shape, you'd have to find an idiot to pay you ~10K for it and the trade-in value would be diddly. Keep it. you ever check out those new 3.4's that performance products sells? I will probably do that when it comes time rather than rebuild the original. I know they charge alot but it's a new engine and you would always have the old one that is exactly like it for parts later. just my 2 pennies opinion.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:42 AM

I would find a used engine from a junk yard or a truck someone is parting out. It should be a lot cheaper than a rebuilt one and I would trust it more than some no name rebuild.

What is the matter with it?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

y engine problem is sludge. I have so much caked up in that poor engine. There is a knocking noise now, I'm guessing due to the build-up. My last oil change I did on my own(I got tired of paying the shops to do simple work) I was just lazy, but the last one I id on my own and it took me 30 min to pour all the new oil in, it was so full on gunk. I wiped the inner ring of the oil hole with my finger and pulled out a huge ring of gunk , all those changes at the shops and NO ONE ever told me one thing about a possible sludge problem, I guess that'll teach me to do my own maintence from now on. My local mechanice(the only one I ever will trust) told me she was gona give out soon with that much sludge inside. He said that it must have been from yers of the previous owners negelect(that stupid women I called lied right through her teeth to me about why she traded it, she must have known something, ot just that she wanted a new GMC ) But anyways that is my problem.

My only issue with my Runner now is that she is 2WD, and I have recently(snce my lift) gotten really intersted in wheel'n and off-road adventures, and I'm tired of always riding and never being able to drive/join in on the rides b/c of my lack of a T-case and front diff.:cry: . So my main reason for looking into a "new" 2nd gen was that I could get a 4WD w/o paying out the butt for a 3rd gen 4WD. I simply can't afford a 3rdgen 4WD on my college guys budget, so 2nd gens. just seemed to fit the bill, keep in the Yota family and have 4WD, all for the price of loosing power by getting a 3.0. But now I'm really unsure, I want 4WD sooooooo bad:cry: , but I don't want to get regret droppin my 3rd gen for a 2nd gen.

Last edited by Stump1883; 04-24-2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:25 AM

this is a no brainer to me...

Option 1:
3rd gen with rebuilt, 0 mile 3.4 and all the mods you've spend your hard earned cash on.

Option 2:
2nd gen with 3.0 with lots of miles and probably no mods.

So with option 1, you get your rig back, with a slightly ligher wallet. With option 2, you get an underpowered rig with more miles and zero mods and an empty bank account.

I vote option 1 without even thinking about it.

Now, if you were talking about a SASed second gen, or even a sfa first gen, things might be different.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:31 AM

Ask 94_1st_Responder, (I think thats his name) he traded his 3rd gen for a 2nd gen, ask him about it
Old 04-24-2003, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stump1883
I thought Toyota was replacing all the sludged up engines and all you had to do was prove you changed the oil once a year, I would call Toyota and put in a complaint or try and powerwash/clean the engine out.

I would go with a new engine but since you want 4WD maybe you are better off with a 2nd Gen.

If you wanna try cleaning the engine out yourself pour half a quart or a whole quart of trans fluid in with the oil minus the quart of oil, run it for a 100 miles or 200 and change it, did that on an old prelude and it was like pudding came out

Watch for oil leaks and how many miles does it have on it
Old 04-24-2003, 01:08 PM

are you someone who likes to have lots of power? yea my 92 doesn't have a ton of power but it doesn't really bother me.....some people it does.....if you really do want to get into offroading having a 4x4 might be worth it

do you have any idea what you could get for it if you sold it or traded it in..........to me that would be the real problem if i still owed 10k on vehicle..............

good luck:beaver:
Old 04-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

If you wanna try cleaning the engine out yourself pour half a quart or a whole quart of trans fluid in with the oil minus the quart of oil, run it for a 100 miles or 200 and change it, did that on an old prelude and it was like pudding came out
I'm not sure if this will work, but if you are going to replace the engine it would be worth a shot. Right now you have nothing to lose.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:04 PM

If you're willing to drive to Knoxville we could pull off the valve covers, intake manifold, and oil pan and flush it. I could do it in about 2 weeks on a weekend.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:51 PM

This is a job for Auto RX! Seriously, I have heard so much about this stuff I would love to see what, if anything, it really does. Your stiuation sounds about perfect for what they say it will do.
Go here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Go to the forums area and check out the Additives, Fuel,Oil, Cleaners forum and read about AutoRX and the people who use it. Then you can go to the Auto RX website and check it out.
Maybe you could get some free or we could all chip in for you to buy it and perform this experiment. What have you got to lose?

Unless you are getting a freebie from Toyota.
Reldnew
Old 04-24-2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by 93_Runner06
Here's the first couple questions.

What's wrong with your engine? Could it be something related to the sludge problem I've heard about? I think Toyota is doing something about that.

Second questions.

How many miles are on your 4runner? How much could you get for it?

Here's what I would do. Go which ever route you will take the smallest loss on. If it is cheaper to put in a new engine, then do that. If it is cheaper to sell your truck and buy a 2nd gen, then do that. If you go for the latter, don't forget to add in TTL.

I can tell you this. If you get into a 2nd gen, you will probably be disappointed. The 3rd gen is much better.

Just my $.02

Good Luck
What is this sludge problem? Last time i changed the oil i stuck my finger into the engine and noticed it was kinda gritty inside.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Til I pulled ou came out in one solid ring of sludge, and wouldn't even drip from my fnger, it was worse than molasass(sp). I just called Japan Direct and they said I can bringmy car to Raleigh and give them 10 days, they will take my engine out re-build it w/ all Toyota parts and put it back in for $3,800 + tax. It's just hard to swallow another 4,000 or so dollars on a truck I don't even own yet. I oayed 12K for it, I'm down to about 10K and now I will drop another 4K, taking it back up to paying arond 15 or 16K for the whole deal. I found that if I'm willing to leave NC and drive to VA or SC I can get a 96-98 Runner 4x4 for about 7 - 9K, that would be awsome, bt then I'm just taking a chance on it being a repeat. I'm falt out confused now. You guys ahve helped alot, I'm not even thinking about a 2nd gen any more, and I'm determind to keep a 3.4 under me in one way or another. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:14 AM

If you are absolutely sure you are going to lose the engine anyway, I think you should try to flush it first. I personally would like to see the Auto-RX used, but the transmission fluid, Marvel Mystery oil, Amsoil, or cheapie engine flushes could be tried. If you have a little time you could pull the valve covers and clean the upper valve and cam area and inside of the covers and then the pan and clean it and whatever you can get at down there. You could also clean the returns with a bottle brush and piano wire. Maybe a combination a these methods. Maybe it will buy you some time, possibly you will be pleasantly surprised. You seem to be convinced the motor is going down soon, correct? Is it running OK now? By OK I mean not overheating or abnormally low or high oil pressure, or starvation, stumbling, hard starting or rough idle.

I would try to nurse it back first before spending big $$$$. It may never be a superclean-like new motor but it may be very operational.

Just my .02

PS:
I have seen upper and lower cleaning followed by runner a qt. of transmission fluid in the oil for 100 mi do amazing things to VW 1.8 motors. Probably loosened up the seals a bit but hey, $10.00 repair VS $3,500.00 new motor.

Reldnew

Last edited by Reldnew; 04-25-2003 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: WSave my baby, or buy a new one???