Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which wire is + and which is -?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which wire is + and which is -?

Hey guys, I bought the rear passenger quarter trim with the outlet in it and I'm getting ready to wire it and need to know which wire is hot and which is ground. Anybody able to tell me? Same with the two outlets under the ashtray in the dash too.

Thanks
Jason
Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
got a test light ?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Yep, to test what? I just bought the panel to retrofit into my 98 which has no wires back there. I am wanting to run power to the outlet so I need somebody with a 99-02 that has that from the factory or somebody that knows.
Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by Elton
got a test light ?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:47 AM

I have a 98 w/ an outlet in the back. Is that unusual?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:50 AM

Really? I have a 96 with nothing in the rear. Do you have an outlet near the tailgate? If so can you test the wires and tell me which is hot and which is ground?
Thanks a ton
Jason

Originally Posted by pkt1213
Old 01-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mines got one too
Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 AM

Can one of you help me out then? I didn't think they were in there untill 99. Does yours also have the large compartment for storage back there too?

Originally Posted by Elton
mines got one too
Old 01-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a multimeter that tests continuity? The inner conductor of the cig lighter is going to be your positive, and the outside "springs" are negative. If you do a continuity test on each wire you will figure out which wire is connected to which terminal of the cig lighter.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 PM

Sorry man, I have nothing giving the thing power right now. To clarify, I have a 96 T4R Ltd. that has no power outlets in the rear and I'm taking the rear panel from a 99 with the power outlet from a junkyard car. I had no way to test it in the yard as there is nothing left in the front end to give power. The factory 99 outlet has prongs on the outside edges, nothing in the middle. Can ANYBODY help me out??? I don't want to wire it backwards and burn something out that gets plugged into it and I'd like to have my interior back together. I'll take a pic if it helps people understand what I'm trying to do.

Originally Posted by Adam F
Do you have a multimeter that tests continuity? The inner conductor of the cig lighter is going to be your positive, and the outside "springs" are negative. If you do a continuity test on each wire you will figure out which wire is connected to which terminal of the cig lighter.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:34 PM

You're wanting to know on the outlet it's self what color wire goes where? And which on it positive?

Is that correct? I'll see what I can do.

I have a 98 SR5 with the small compartment. How does the larger compartment on the 99 and up look? I was thinking about doing that one of these days but I broke the pannel on the other side.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 PM

use your meter and find out which terminal on the back is connected to which part of the inside of the plug. looking into the socket, the round wall is negative and the small bit at the very end is positive. they are electrically isolated.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 PM

That's right, just want to know which wire is +. The panel I bought has the small outlet near the rear but the larger compartment to store stuff. I ran into a snag though. Since mine (1996) has the small compartment I need to cut out additional metal between the outside and inside body panel. The 99 and up have a larger "void" in that area so it's not just a plug and play option but will work with minor modification. I'll get a pic and point to where I need to cut but when you compare the 96-98 panel with the 99-02 it's obvious. An additional 4-6" needs cut out but it's non structural material so no worries.

You're wanting to know on the outlet it's self what color wire goes where? And which on it positive?

Is that correct? I'll see what I can do.

I have a 98 SR5 with the small compartment. How does the larger compartment on the 99 and up look? I was thinking about doing that one of these days but I broke the pannel on the other side.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 PM

The wires are from a different vehicle so I have no way to tell which is which. Thanks for reading the earlier posts before posting.

Originally Posted by isaac338
use your meter and find out which terminal on the back is connected to which part of the inside of the plug. looking into the socket, the round wall is negative and the small bit at the very end is positive. they are electrically isolated.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 PM

OK listen, this post ONLY applies to those that have the factory plug near their tailgate and are WILLING to pull the panel and tell me which wire is hot and which isn't b/c I do NOT have wires to test on my 96. I am RETROFITTING a plug to a vehicle that does NOT have one so I would like to know which wire is power and which is not. Please NO "check with a tester or continuity tester" as I have NO power currently run. I am planning to RUN power to this NEW outlet.
THANKS
Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 PM

I took a pic of my set up but I can't find my meter or my test light. Wire nearest the cammera or looks bottom is pink.

If you have a meter you should be able to put it in resistance mode and put one of the leads on the connector on the back of the plug and then touch the middle on the inside and the ground on the outside and see which one tests with resistance. Or visa versa and put one on the positive or negitive on the inside of the outlet and then test the prongs on the back.

If you wanted to test using voltage get a 9 volt and wire the + to one of the prongs on the back then put your negitive lead on the - on the battery and then test by moving the positive lead back and forth and see which has voltage. Or wire the battery to both terminals and then use you meter to test the + and - inside the plug and see if the power reads as positive or negitive flow when touching the correct spots on the inside.

Hope this helps. I'll try to test mine if I can find the my lest light or meter.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:14 PM

That is the exact setup I just bought but I don't have a meter so when you get a chance can you test for hot?
Thanks a ton
Jason

I took a pic of my set up but I can't find my meter or my test light. Wire nearest the cammera or looks bottom is pink.

If you have a meter you should be able to put it in resistance mode and put one of the leads on the connector on the back of the plug and then touch the middle on the inside and the ground on the outside and see which one tests with resistance. Or visa versa and put one on the positive or negitive on the inside of the outlet and then test the prongs on the back.

If you wanted to test using voltage get a 9 volt and wire the + to one of the prongs on the back then put your negitive lead on the - on the battery and then test by moving the positive lead back and forth and see which has voltage. Or wire the battery to both terminals and then use you meter to test the + and - inside the plug and see if the power reads as positive or negitive flow when touching the correct spots on the inside.

Hope this helps. I'll try to test mine if I can find the my lest light or meter.

Last edited by aviator; 01-20-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terminator
That is the exact setup I just bought but you're toooo smart for my dumb@ss. I don't have a meter so when you get a chance can you test for hot?
Thanks a ton
Jason
No reason to be a jerk, these people are trying to help you. They just misunderstand what you're asking. I don't have anything to contribute to the thread due to the fact that my rear outlet doesn't function, but even if I did, your sarcastic/ better than you attitude would make me reconsider helping you.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 AM

Wow, thanks for that one.

Originally Posted by nc994run
No reason to be a jerk, these people are trying to help you. They just misunderstand what you're asking. I don't have anything to contribute to the thread due to the fact that my rear outlet doesn't function, but even if I did, your sarcastic/ better than you attitude would make me reconsider helping you.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by nc994run
I don't think he's being a jerk at all......if you read the whole thread he obviously was getting frustrated by guys who were not reading it through ......I found it quite clear from the beginning that he was "retrofitting" something that he currently doesn't have, therefore there's nothing to test.
He's asking for help....which is what we all ask at times....give him a break and read the thread again.....I think he's been more than patient with some of the posts he's gotten.

Everybody take a deep breath and relax....its just a thread with no ill intentions and we are hopefully all here to help each out!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 AM

I was frustrated and losing patience so sorry guys if you got offended. I think I have it figured out though now. Thanks to everybody for helping.
Jason

Originally Posted by fastkevman
I don't think he's being a jerk at all......if you read the whole thread he obviously was getting frustrated by guys who were not reading it through ......I found it quite clear from the beginning that he was "retrofitting" something that he currently doesn't have, therefore there's nothing to test.
He's asking for help....which is what we all ask at times....give him a break and read the thread again.....I think he's been more than patient with some of the posts he's gotten.

Everybody take a deep breath and relax....its just a thread with no ill intentions and we are hopefully all here to help each out!

Quick Reply: Which wire is + and which is -?