Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Winter Lighting Suggestion/Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Winter Lighting Suggestion/Question

As the crappy cold time comes, I was noticing that the factory lighting on my 3rd Gen isn't very good.... and I would describe the low beam as crappy. Although I'd love to have a fresh TJM bumper and new roof rack with lighting galore, it's just not feasable. So, I was wondering if anybody had encountered similar problems and what type of remedies were found. I also want to keep in mind that low beams are low for a reason.... you don't want to send every passing car into the ditch because they were blinded by your headlights! If you've got pictures, please show!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
As the crappy cold time comes, I was noticing that the factory lighting on my 3rd Gen isn't very good.... and I would describe the low beam as crappy. Although I'd love to have a fresh TJM bumper and new roof rack with lighting galore, it's just not feasable. So, I was wondering if anybody had encountered similar problems and what type of remedies were found. I also want to keep in mind that low beams are low for a reason.... you don't want to send every passing car into the ditch because they were blinded by your headlights! If you've got pictures, please show!

I just mounted some PIAA 520 fog lights on top of my TJM T-17. The lights are awsome they light up the road a lot, and cut through the fog great. I have pictures let me know if you want me to post them so show you my set up!!
Old 11-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was fairly satisfied with my 2nd gen's low-beams, until I saw what a good set of fogs does. I actually installed the brush guard so I would have a good place to mount mine, which are Hella 1000s. Aimed properly, which is lower than your low beams, they provide great illumination forward and more to each side than low beams because they put out a horizontal beam. I didn't want to go the blue light way, because I hate them on other cars coming toward me. After I aimed them, adjusting them slightly several times, I got in my wife's Prelude and had her follow me so I could make sure I wouldn't blind everyone else out on the road. While they are bright, they don't shine directly into other folks' eyes. And I was pleasantly surprised how well they worked for me in snow.

Also, make sure your present lights are properly aimed, and that the bulbs are as bright as they should be. I had one on my truck that was dimmer than the other, so I replaced it. Hope this helped.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:52 AM

That's a nice reply, thanks a lot! I wish I could find a better spot to mount without adding anything to the front end though.... So all in all for on road driving aiming more or less parallel with the road at a low mounting point is the best way to go?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
That's a nice reply, thanks a lot! I wish I could find a better spot to mount without adding anything to the front end though.... So all in all for on road driving aiming more or less parallel with the road at a low mounting point is the best way to go?
Not sure, on a '98 if there isn't a good place to mount without adding extra iron. Probably someone else on this forum could answer that question. As far as aiming, check your owner's manual. I believe mine has instructions, or find a qualified technician to do it!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

The previous owner of my 4Runner had trimmed away part of the lower Valance on the front bumper, and mounted some cheap fogs in there. After they blew out, I really missed them. The light output was great!

Old 11-17-2004, 08:30 AM

2nd gen

yeah, aftermarkets are the way to go. I threw some ff75 driving lights in the valance of my 2nd gen. Sure i cant use them with anybody else around (had some fogs on my old truck that worked great all the time). Quick install too, just drilled some holes in my bumper and cut some valance out, ran the wiring and switch, and viola!