Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Winch installed (pics) and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch installed (pics) and some questions

So I bought the Warn Tabor 9k for multiple reasons. One of the main being I got it new shipped to my door for $500. Well I had Carolina Rock Shop put it on, and remount my bumper (i have a 2" body, so i had the gap). I love the new look of the truck, and I've already messed around with the winch. However there is a slight problem. The opening for the bumper gets in the way by just a centimeter, of the cable coming out. i.e. the fairlead top and bottom rollers dont quite match the opening of the tjm. I assume its not good for the wire to rub against this opening, and it should be rubbing against the fairlead. What suggestions do you all have in terms of fixing this problem? In the last picture, I marked a red line to illustrate what im talking about. It only touches the bumper at certain angles....anyways I would like to hear some feedback; as winches are very new to me. On with the pics...

any suggestions on the opening/fairlead situation?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:29 AM

take the fairlead off, grind down the offending bumper material, paint to prevent rust, remount fairlead, enjoy.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:35 AM

How much does it rub? A cm? Is it rubbing on a straight pull or just at an angle? I second grinding it down if it is just barely rubbing. BTW- nice set up- my next purchase will be a bumber something like yours.

Last edited by Jeffires; 04-20-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they mount the fairlead down too low? If not, what kind of install is that where they didn't check their work at all? If it were my shop, it wouldn't have left like that.

uber's answer is uber-correct otherwise!!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

they mounted the fairlead a tad low...but its where all the bolts lined up. ive heard that the m8000 is a perfect fit...but that would have been an extra 200 or so that i wasnt willing to pay.

it barely rubs when i pull the rope out at a certain angle. i think im just going to take the fairlead off and just grind that bit off....but i need to find a grinder!...can i take the fairlead off without having to take the whole winch and bumper off? cuz i thought those 2 bolts holding the fairlead on are also holding the winch on; but theres 2 more bolts holding the winch on, so i guess itd be ok?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM

You should be able to just spool out some cabe then unbolt the fairleed and slide it down the cable away from the bumper. Just be sure not to hit the cable with the grinder.

Lamm
Old 04-20-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by northfacer581
...but i need to find a grinder!
{sidejack}
Good info here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f106/recommend-me-angle-grinder-80753/

I bought a DeWalt D28110 for $60 from Lowe's over the weekend and couldn't be happier.
{/sidejack}
Old 04-20-2006, 12:39 PM

Most winches have 4 bolts through the bottom (Warns anyway)
Old 04-20-2006, 12:54 PM

Buy or borrow a 4" grider. buy a thin cutoff blade and cut it open. You can get a cheap grinder at Harbor Frieght or a better one at HD or Lowes. You can make a clean straight cut with a cutoff blade. Just guessing looking at your picture, I would cut off 1/4" - 1/2". No you don't want the cable to rub on the bumper. No the winch will not fall out if you unbolt the fairlead. (unless the shop didn't bolt the winch in) There should be 4 bolts thru the bottom mount.

Cut it. Paint it.

Looks great. Now you can take that trail that you always looked at and said "I hope I don't get stuck"
Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

nice setup mang...ive heard good things about the tabor 9K....good value and it uses warn internals. yeah definitely the cable should only be in contact with the fairlead, nothing else..you dont want any chaffing..that'll cause you some problems. grind away at the bumper opening. since all the bolts are already lined up i wouldnt bother trying to relocate the fairlead. depending on how the its bolted up, you should be able to remove it with the winch still in place.

re: fit...how is it in the tjm? im also contemplating between this and the M8000. id like to get the tabor & use a warn solenoid box (since ive already got the cutout for it). by looking at pics of their physical dimensions...they seem similar with the M8000 motor looking a lil longer & narrrower...and on the tjm, how do you engage/disengage the clutch?

Nice lookin rig bra

btw...in one of your pics looks like a bracket mounting bolt missing? or is it just me?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the advice everyone; looks like ill be grinding this weeked!

sonny...ill try to snag some closer pics of the tabor. im very pleased with the fitment, its solid. the clutch can be reached through the top or from underneath, whichever is easiest. so far i have messed with it, but not used it (just pulled the cable out making sure it winds back in correctly, etc.) and ive found it easiest to just engage/disengage by reaching my hand up from underneath.

and yes, i have a bolt missed. that bracket on the driver side is crooked, so i told him to just bolt it to that one. i got 6 solid bolts on the driver side and 7 solid ones on the passenger side; i think itll be alright.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

HIJACK: Andy, sweet runner. Do you have pics of your sliders?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

pm sent.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:37 PM

When you start cutting/grinding on your bumper you will have a shower of sparks. Cover everything, Hood, Fenders, Windshield, Roof. Also make sure you arn't near dry grass/leaves. Rember, the fairlead will cover your cut.

Looks Great
Old 04-20-2006, 07:40 PM

Andy it looks great.
Your gonna get CALLS in the middle of the night, "hey andys got a winch lets call him!" "hey man im stuck real bad the rollback can't make it down the trail can you come get me"! those kinda calls! lol

Last edited by slick858; 04-20-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gerdo
When you start cutting/grinding on your bumper you will have a shower of sparks. Cover everything, Hood, Fenders, Windshield, Roof. Also make sure you arn't near dry grass/leaves. Rember, the fairlead will cover your cut.

Looks Great
LOL, roof? the sparks dont go THAT far. sure, there will be a 'shower' of sparks, but they will all go in basically the same direction and burn out before hitting the ground. just hold the grinder where the spark shoot away from the truck...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the advice....im definately looking forward to those calls; "sure ill be out there in 20 minutes...youre paying for my gas right? you heard its up to 5 dollars a gallon right?"
Old 04-21-2006, 08:23 AM

Looks great, I really like what you've done with your 4runner. Just wondering, what did the guys do at the shop to get you TJM to fit flush with your bumper? Did they mess with the brackets like Steve or did they mount it differently? Hopefully I will get one of these some day, just trying to figure out how much $$$$ its gonna take!
Old 04-21-2006, 08:30 AM

It has been awhile since i had a winch/roller fairlead, but, are the mounting holes on the roller fairlead symetrical or do they favor the top or bottom more? If they aren't you may be able to flip the fairlead top/bottom and have it positioned correctly. Again, this is just a thought, i haven't had one of those in my hand in a couple years so I can't remember, it just seems like this would be a much more common question if you really have to modify the bumper and I can't remember it being asked recently.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

as i remember....i think its the same when its flipped, as the fairlead bolts are the same distance from top and bottom.

tarheel...if you wana know price, you can pm and ask...what he did was leave the bracket on that bolts to the frame, and cut off the rest...moved it up a bit, and rewelded w/ some bracing. not too complicated. i simply handed him my bumper, and winch, as if brand new, and said, put it on and fix the gap. job well done...just wish i didnt have this little opening situation, but i just discovered my best friend has a grinder, so this will be no problem!

Quick Reply: Winch installed (pics) and some questions