Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wierd bubbling(water)sound, could it be the cause of electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its with the mechanic right now. He called me this morning to say he cant find anything wrong with it. Its just hard to believe that nothing is wrong when within two or three days I lose a lot of coolant and Im hearing water flowing through a pipe in my dash and my electrical is all f'd up. I just want to know what the problem is so I can take care of it. What would you recommend I do if it a head gasket? I want to keep this truck for as long as possible and am willing to put the money into it. I dont really want to fuss with any kind of swap, like to just keep it close to stock, that doesnt bother me too much. would having my engine rebuilt be less than buying a remanufactured engine and having it installed?
Old 03-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you suddenly loose coolant? When was the last time you checked it? The gurgling noise could also just be air in the coolant that didn't get burped out correctly. If that's the case it's relatively benign. Also, You could have been low on coolant and the system sucked in air through the overflow tank.

The electrical could have nothing to do with the gurgling sound.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:51 AM

Okay, check this out...

I cant remember the last time I checked my coolant so I really cant say for sure if I lost a lot or not. But I do remember seing some in the resevoir. Im also wondering if the guys at Mobile music could have screwed something up with my electrical. They were all up in my dash about 2 weeks ago and maybe something bumped loose? It could have just been some air. I wonder if I should change the radiator cap, it seems a little old and loose. They mechanic hasnt called me back yet so Im guessing he still hasnt found anything. We'll see.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
This is very important!

My step mom's heater core went out, and she was driving when she felt really sick and disoriented. My dad went and picked her up and drove her home (leaving the car where it was). She laid down that evening and went to bed. She had a really bad headache and felt sick. The next morning she wasn't feeling any better, so my dad took her to the hospital. The doctor ran some tests and said that she had anti-freeze poisoning. The reason she felt so disoriented was because the antifreeze poisoning had the same affect of making her drunk, in her case a blood-alcohol level of .2 This was 18 hours after the incident! The doctor said also that not seeing a doctor right away was a HUGE mistake, that she could have gone into a coma, or worse, died.

So, if it is your heater core, and you become nautious and disoriented like that, do see a doctor immediately. If you smell the fumes, and need to get home open all your windows down so you're not inhaling it.

I thought I'd pass this on, please be careful! But then again, it may not even be the heater core, I wouldn't know.
that's scary! glad she's ok though..
Old 03-07-2004, 06:20 PM

Let's say, hypothetically, that I've got just about all of the symptoms mentioned above...what would one expect to pay to have the head gasket replaced on a 94? Also, could someone post the number to call for that recall? Your help is most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gbost
I have the same noise but no loss of fluids, problems with the heater, weird smells or loss of power related to any head gasket problem. Let us know what you find out
Same here.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:48 PM

Well, the mechanic told me he cant find anything wrong with it. He said sometimes it will suck an airbubble in and make that noise. He told me to take the rad. cap off and let the engine get hot, turn the heat on high and let it run for a while. SOme air bubbles were popping up but I dont know if thats normal anyways. So it looks like my engine is fine, it hasnt made that noise since last week. I guess my electrical problem is something seperate. So thats what I found out.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:21 PM

Bumped back to top to request an answer...how much to replace a head gasket (reasonable), and what was that number to call for the recall on the block? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 PM

I decided to call toyota about my truck and found out that it qualified for the head gasket replacement. I described the sound it was making just like yours and they told me that that was something common for a blown head gasket. I'm goin to get mine fixed. You might want to call that phone number and see if you qualify for it too.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mblogsd
I decided to call toyota about my truck and found out that it qualified for the head gasket replacement. I described the sound it was making just like yours and they told me that that was something common for a blown head gasket. I'm goin to get mine fixed. You might want to call that phone number and see if you qualify for it too.
I already tried toyota, but mine doesnt qualify.

Ive also noticed a big difference in power, and now I have a rough idle and my exhaust makes popping noises when I first start up. AND when I press down on the gas pedal I can feel it jerking/jolting(while accelerating) SOmething is definitely wrong here. I dont want it to be the HG but I have a bad feeling.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:44 AM

Look at the oil underneath the oil cap. What does it look like?

White smoke?

Keep an eye on your coolant level as well.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by KING
Look at the oil underneath the oil cap. What does it look like?

White smoke?

Keep an eye on your coolant level as well.
yeah, usually when it first starts up I have some white smoke for the first 5 minutes then once it warms up it usually is gone. I havnt noticed any thing in the oil(water).
Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 PM

I have a 85 runner and mine is doing the bubbling thing too, but only when i accelerate, i did some research and i found that there are washers in the heater core tubes that run into the firewall and when those washers become loose they flop back and forth making a bubbling sound, so toyota said all they do to solve the problem is to take the washer out, i'll try the running the heater while the r cap is off to clear bubbles and if that doesn't work then i'm gunna pull those and check the washers so much to do hahaha