Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do?

Looking for the next mod on my near complete '01 runner. I was either going to do the Sonoran Steel Roll Bar or the extended bumperstops. Have put a lot of money, and work into this truck, although I really only use it to cruise around in the snow, and with all the windows down in the summer. Have a 3" lift now, so I'm figuring I porbably need the bumper stops, although, I really go more for the looks than performance, The roll bar seems like it would look awesome, especially to match all the brush guards. But anyway my question is, to finish up this truck, would you go with the roll bar or the bumperstops. Usually, I owuld just buy both, but after the lift, the camber, and alignments have been non-stop messed up in the front, and I have spent $300+ allready to still have the truck pull to the right, and wear the outside edge faster. Starting to become a drain, If you could help me out on the mod choice(pics would be nice) or if anyone could reccomend a place in NJ to take it to for the wheels, hit me up. Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by JHupp; 01-05-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

What is a Sonoran Steel roll bar? I looked on his website and couldn't find anything. Are you talking about sliders? If so, get these.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 PM

Is this the internal roll bar?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM

yeah, sorry it is the roll bar from a first gen modified to fit in a third gen, interior bar, the link is here http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_roll_bar.html please nobody buy it, he only has 1 in stock, and I really think Im gonna buy it actually! no sliders here, if my truck sees fire roads once a year I'm lucky
Old 01-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Banned

i bet shipping on that would be a lot across country
Old 01-05-2006, 01:51 PM

well, $110 but I dont mind, still cheaper than brushguards, just have to paint it too, powdercoating is expensive in NJ, planning on speding like $500 painted, shipped and bought
Old 01-05-2006, 02:08 PM

just trying to guage whether or not I am a fool for doing a 3"lift, 32" BFG ats on 16x8 procomps, brush guards, and PIAA lights with no real peformance mods other than the panhard bar, or if this approach isnt all that bad and makes for one tough toyota. No wheeling experience here, Jersey boy all my life, just as the name would imply another Toy for me. I never plan on rolling over, you never know with the aggressive drivers here, but this truck may very well never see any real action, just think the roll bar looks really cool.

Last edited by JHupp; 01-05-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

What are bumperstops? Are you talking about bumpstops?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Skip the roll bar dude. I don't think you need it. Even in a rollover accident, these rigs seem to fair pretty well. Roll bar or not, the rig will be usually be totalled in a RO.

To each his own. If you like your existing mods, then more power to you. Speaking of power, you could probably use some. How about the deckplate mod?

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 01-05-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:58 PM

yes, the bumpstops, sorry for the miss-spell, for power I did do a magnaflow last summer, I was kinda leary about the deckplate,mod and intakes, Id rather have the filter completely covered, if I need power, i generally lift up the airbox lid. I know Ill never need the roll bar, but its osmething you dont often see, I love the look of the defender 90s, and 70's broncos, think I'm just gonna go for looks, and slam in the roll bar.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHupp
yes, the bumpstops, sorry for the miss-spell, for power I did do a magnaflow last summer, I was kinda leary about the deckplate,mod and intakes, Id rather have the filter completely covered, if I need power, i generally lift up the airbox lid. I know Ill never need the roll bar, but its osmething you dont often see, I love the look of the defender 90s, and 70's broncos, think I'm just gonna go for looks, and slam in the roll bar.
I think the roll bar looks cool. It will definitely be different as they're custom made for the 3rd gen. I say go for it if you really want one. Don't worry about functionality b/c one of those posts above is probably accurate that if you ever did roll your truck, it would most likely be totaled anyway.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:11 PM

yeah, I think Im gonna go for it, I just have to worry about my ˟˟˟˟ up front wheels. Is there any truth to what a mechanic told me, that I am at the ned of my camber adjustment, and the front tires will always be pulled in at the bottom? Dont think so, and Im having a hella hard time trying to find someone to fix them.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHupp
yeah, I think Im gonna go for it, I just have to worry about my ˟˟˟˟ up front wheels. Is there any truth to what a mechanic told me, that I am at the ned of my camber adjustment, and the front tires will always be pulled in at the bottom? Dont think so, and Im having a hella hard time trying to find someone to fix them.
You can get them straight, take it to a different shop. They can be adjusted further out then most alignment shops realize. Heck they're would be a lot more complaints on the board if you couldn't get the alignment right after a lift.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:10 AM

yeah, thats what I figured, New Jersey is hands down THE WORST place to have any kind of automotive work done. Super expensive, and often done by people who don't know anything. Auto Body is probably the biggest rip-off here because of all the insurance claims, they only quote poeple the same rates that insurance comanies get, was quoted $2300 to paint the front bumper and lower valence of my truck. Everything is soooooo expensive in Jersey. Sorry for the long rant, Thanks for the info though!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Please help me understand this logic:

You're fed up with how much money you've been spending on the truck lately, so to make things better you want to buy a roll bar?

I'd spend some money to make sure the front end was properly set up before pissing it away on things that are, for the most part, irrelevant.

Just trying to figure out your question.

Andreas