Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What type of motor oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket
Read what i posted above. Im not trying to do reasearch here to prove facts. If word of mouth isnt good enough then i dont know what is so take this as you will. I worked at a farming company in NY for a solid 2 years and sold more oil in a day than Walmart sells in a week. Many of my customers were between the ages of 40 and 80+ years old. As many times as i could, if the guy buying oil looked over 50, i would ask him questions about it. Nearly half the time i was told negative things about Castrol. 2 or 3 guys actually had stories to tell about motors seizing while using Castrol. Maybe it was just a coincidence but ironically Castrol was also the least selling. These "old timers" practically used oil to make a living which to me was the best realiable source for knowing what was good and bad.

I understand where your coming from... but there are several factors behind those engine failures. The fact of the matter is those engines could have been used for farming in some sence and could have been under so much stress that even the best motor oil on the market wouldn't have helped it. Not changing the oil on time would have had adverse effects.... like I said there are too many factors. I have used Castrol Syntec in every car I've owned with great success, so I have no reason to believe the oil used had anything to do with they're engine failures. Don't take what I said personally... but I'd much rather see proof from testing that the oil is as bad as you say it could be. Let's face it even with people who work in the farming industry... they still wouldn't know how good an oil is, because they would have to be scientist. Older people are more easily influenced, and generally more set in they're ways..... so I'm not sure that they're desicions weren't made from word of mouth either. Even the article you posted said, it doesn't mean the castrol oil isn't any good... just that there's a variance. Which btw doesn't mention how big or small the variance is.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket
Read what i posted above. Im not trying to do reasearch here to prove facts. If word of mouth isnt good enough then i dont know what is so take this as you will. I worked at a farming company in NY for a solid 2 years and sold more oil in a day than Walmart sells in a week. Many of my customers were between the ages of 40 and 80+ years old. As many times as i could, if the guy buying oil looked over 50, i would ask him questions about it. Nearly half the time i was told negative things about Castrol. 2 or 3 guys actually had stories to tell about motors seizing while using Castrol. Maybe it was just a coincidence but ironically Castrol was also the least selling. These "old timers" practically used oil to make a living which to me was the best realiable source for knowing what was good and bad.
Rocket,

I am not here to flame you, but there is no way you sell more oil than Wal-Mart! That statement in itself hurts your credibility.

Some of the best oils contain moly and have proven to show the best wear numbers in uoa. (used oil analysis) Do the research and you will find that synthetics last the longest, keep the internals the cleanest and provide the lowest wear with extended intervals. The synthetics include oils such as Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Redline to name a few.