YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

What exactly is a deckplate mod?

What is it?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
BYAHnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

it's a button on the top of the forum called "search"

It's basically installing a deckplate into your vehicle's air box to open things up a bit and allow more airflow. The deckplate allows you to close the huge hole in the event you are going through anything that you don't want sucked into your engine--water, mud, extreme dust, etc.

Everything you could ever need to know about this mod can be found on this board. I did mine with writeups from this site.
animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #3

/f130/deckplate-mod-75169/
Old 03-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to 91TPU
damn and this whole time i thought everyone was doing deckwork...stupid me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem View Post
god hates you.
91TPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Elkaholic
haha
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #6

Hey guy, Ive come across a few of your posts now, and 1) if you want hp gain you should have bought a ferarri, toyotas are not quick trucks and unless your going to drop $$$ on a supercharger forget-about-it! 2) Im guessing you are new so, if you have a quetion or querry about something you should begin with a search! 3) Maybe a picture of your rig would be more appropriate.
When I first joined this was said to me, so now Im saying it to
you.
darkcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #7

Quack
WSUWESTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

As much as people discuss Deckplates around here, I'm surprised we don't have an image of one and a definition with a link out to the side of it at the top of every page. I'm not trying to knock you BYAHnate, but it seems like we have at least a couple newbies once a month that ask "What is a deckplate and what does it do?"

Beckson is a popular brand of deckplates. Check them out at:

http://www.beckson.com/screwout.html

My 4Runner Profile

Accessories: SS 7.1 Lift Kit, WabFab 1" BL, Modified & Color-matched TJM T-15, Stubb Sliders, FX/TSX HID Projector Retrofit, Tundra Brakes, Hilux Surf Field Monitor, TRD Ivan Stewart Wheels, Yoko Geolanders 265/75s, WeatherTechs, Pioneer HU, LED Tail Lights, JBL Speakers

Mods: Disabled DRLs, Disabled Keyless Entry Chirp, AndyMod 2.0, Fog Light Mod, Air Elbow Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod
Rock Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #9

save the $ unless youare super charged.. no real point in it... nor the flowmasters, nor the isr mod... all that for 10hp??? dont bother, go fishing!!
mkgarrison5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
CJM

Stop saying that! Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean you should tell others not to do it. I did it and I felt a noticeable difference in my truck, so it does something.

10hp may seem like a little, but every little bit counts.

Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
Banned
Threadstarter [OP]

Yea, this thread is pretty old.
BYAHnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
Stop saying that! Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean you should tell others not to do it. I did it and I felt a noticeable difference in my truck, so it does something.

10hp may seem like a little, but every little bit counts.

haha sorry ill shut up now........... ok son, go cut up your intake box so your truck can sound meaner than it is... or go fishing
mkgarrison5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Contributing Member

I was gonna say, I think Nate knows what a deckplate is now... At least he should since he put one in in the last couple of days...

03 DC TRD Tacoma 4wd with a bunch of junk. SOLD. Miss it every day.
89 Isuzu Trooper LS 2 door. 2.6, 5 speed. Current daily/trail rig.

Just wheel the stupid thing!!!
But do it responsibly, ok?
Tacoclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via MSN to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror
I didn't really know what a deckplate mod was either. It seems he just drilled a whole in the airbox and put some reinforcement on it. Is that the point of the "ring" he installed?

I'm still the president and only member of "StockProjektz", bringing dignity to tuning.
OME springs/shocks F/R

VZN185L-GKPZKA 4.300 With P265/70R16
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:48 AM   #15
Sponsoring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
I didn't really know what a deckplate mod was either. It seems he just drilled a whole in the airbox and put some reinforcement on it. Is that the point of the "ring" he installed?
No... it's to provide a receiver for the desckplate to be screwed into so that you can plug up the hole.

"Why would I want to plug up the hole that I just cut into my airbox?" Because if you leave it open and head through a really dusty trail, of if you get into a deep-water situation then that dust (or water) is gonna head straight for the intake.

"Okay, so what is a 'deckplate" itself?" It's a resealable hole that's meant for boats. You put the fixture (or "PLATE") into the DECK of a boat. If you need airflow into a cabin or access to something like a water tank from the outside, you can unscrew the plate. When you're done, a simple 1/2 twist seals up the hole air tight. A picture is worth a hundred words and a SEARCH: CLICK THIS

"Okay... thanks!" Yeup, you're welcome...

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Damn, if only there was a Click the image to open in full size. function.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
'96 4Runner Limited S/C MI - 370cc injectors, Air! horns, Airaid MIT, ATS A-arms, 285/75/R16 BFG MTs, Bored TB, Brembo slotted, Cobra 75 WXST, Deckplate, Downey headers, Hayden cooler, IPT valve body, Level 10 torque convertor, Meanstreak exhaust, OME/OME rears, On-board PC (XM, Nav, WiFi, etc), Port 'n Polish, Remote Start, SAW fronts, Hilux console, SMT-5, Stubb's sliders, Supra MAF, TJM-17, 2.0" pulley, Viair 450c, Walbro 190, Weasy2k cams
midiwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via MSN to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwall View Post
No... it's to provide a receiver for the desckplate to be screwed into so that you can plug up the hole.

"Why would I want to plug up the hole that I just cut into my airbox?" Because if you leave it open and head through a really dusty trail, of if you get into a deep-water situation then that dust (or water) is gonna head straight for the intake.

"Okay, so what is a 'deckplate" itself?" It's a resealable hole that's meant for boats. You put the fixture (or "PLATE") into the DECK of a boat. If you need airflow into a cabin or access to something like a water tank from the outside, you can unscrew the plate. When you're done, a simple 1/2 twist seals up the hole air tight. A picture is worth a hundred words and a SEARCH: CLICK THIS

Thanks! I'll guess I'll go ahead and install one since it appears it'll seal up air tight if I don't like it. I wonder if this will help or hurt my dismal fuel economy.
OME springs/shocks F/R

Old 03-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #17
Contributing Member

Quote:

Are you suggesting that this topic has been covered before?
Tread Lightly! certified Tread Trainer

Search 100+ Toyota tech sites, including this one: All Toyota Search Engine
WATRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #18
Contributing Member

Quote:

Midiwall, THANK YOU. This has to be the MOST discussed topic on Yotatech, and not doing a search for it is just irresponsible.

Darn newbz

1998 4Runner SR5
Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.

2006 VW Jetta TDI- 50mpg highway cruiser
mastacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 AM   #19
Sponsoring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATRD View Post
Are you suggesting that this topic has been covered before?
Not really... I was just laying a couple of land mines so that it'd be easier to find if someone else ever asks about it again.
'96 4Runner Limited S/C MI - 370cc injectors, Air! horns, Airaid MIT, ATS A-arms, 285/75/R16 BFG MTs, Bored TB, Brembo slotted, Cobra 75 WXST, Deckplate, Downey headers, Hayden cooler, IPT valve body, Level 10 torque convertor, Meanstreak exhaust, OME/OME rears, On-board PC (XM, Nav, WiFi, etc), Port 'n Polish, Remote Start, SAW fronts, Hilux console, SMT-5, Stubb's sliders, Supra MAF, TJM-17, 2.0" pulley, Viair 450c, Walbro 190, Weasy2k cams
midiwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #20

I didn't post the original thread, but I found the new thread helpful. Not everyone spends 24 hours/day on this site.
OME springs/shocks F/R

Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2007, 4runner, beckson, civic, deck, deckplate, mod, perpose, plate, si, whats